Wren Baker Extension?

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

It seems we always talk about the future contract of Littrell and how much we're going to pay the next coach etc etc, but I think at this point, extending/giving a raise to Wren Baker should be the number 1 priority on Smatresk's list.

After Softball captured a conference title with yet another one of Wren Baker's hires, the proof is in the pudding to me. Maybe I'm still a bit jaded because a monkey humping a doorknob would be more effective than RV, but Baker has been next level in comparison. This guy is a bonafied AD and I'm of the mindset that we should be doing everything necessary to keep him.

Just a thought I had after this year's string of success

suspicious homer simpson GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

It seems we always talk about the future contract of Littrell and how much we're going to pay the next coach etc etc, but I think at this point, extending/giving a raise to Wren Baker should be the number 1 priority on Smatresk's list.

After Softball captured a conference title with yet another one of Wren Baker's hires, the proof is in the pudding to me. Maybe I'm still a bit jaded because a monkey humping a doorknob would be more effective than RV, but Baker has been next level in comparison. This guy is a bonafied AD and I'm of the mindset that we should be doing everything necessary to keep him.

Just a thought I had after this year's string of success

I don't think you're jaded at all. The results speak for themselves. Championships across the board, home run hires for multiple sports, record numbers in donations to the Athletic Department, improvements to most athletic facilities. I've always said that if there is anyone we need to lock down long term before they are poached, it's Wren. He is the real deal.

• Upvote 5

I agree, Wren is doing great and I would be all for him getting an extension, but I think he needs to secure conference championships in the major revenue sports to get him to that next level of big money P5 jobs.  When he does that it will become very difficult for us to keep him here.

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

I agree, Wren is doing great and I would be all for him getting an extension, but I think he needs to secure conference championships in the major revenue sports to get him to that next level of big money P5 jobs.  When he does that it will become very difficult for us to keep him here.

Yep. That's why it's so difficult to fall in line with their "hoo-hah, We're building something very special" kind of mentality that many new (to the school) AD and coaches opt to take. Granted I don't want the Ben Stein impersonation either. But you know these guys are check chasers. And the easy response is, well aren't we all? Sure, I guess. But in most people's line of work 150% pay increases aren't right around the corner no matter the time/effort put in. 

So my response to this thread is, why? Why give substantial raises to either? They both know their stock is up. They both know they will be bolting when that 150% calling comes up. So if we know the givens, or the historical givens in this profession, why pour sacrificial money into people that are possibly 18-20 months away from putting on another logo? Seems like that money could be invested back into the program or into the future salary pool of the next go around of trying to stay relevant. Just my .02. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yep. That's why it's so difficult to fall in line with their "hoo-hah, We're building something very special" kind of mentality that many new (to the school) AD and coaches opt to take. Granted I don't want the Ben Stein impersonation either. But you know these guys are check chasers. And the easy response is, well aren't we all? Sure, I guess. But in most people's line of work 150% pay increases aren't right around the corner no matter the time/effort put in. 

So my response to this thread is, why? Why give substantial raises to either? They both know their stock is up. They both know they will be bolting when that 150% calling comes up. So if we know the givens, or the historical givens in this profession, why pour sacrificial money into people that are possibly 18-20 months away from putting on another logo? Seems like that money could be invested back into the program or into the future salary pool of the next go around of trying to stay relevant. Just my .02. 

I think it shows the next guys that, “Hey, we’re serious here!  If you’re good, we’ll pay you.”  And that will look good to potential candidates.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think it shows the next guys that, “Hey, we’re serious here!  If you’re good, we’ll pay you.”  And that will look good to potential candidates.

I think the current pay and facilities will speak for themselves on getting an ideal staff in here. No need to throw out 4-500K x X years more. They're gone when they're gone. Pull the reigns in and think that way. 500K can do a shit whack ton for an athletic program year over year. Hell, that's like a WHOLE TV contract for members in CUSA. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

10 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I think the current pay and facilities will speak for themselves on getting an ideal staff in here. No need to throw out 4-500K x X years more. They're gone when they're gone. Pull the reigns in and think that way. 500K can do a shit whack ton for an athletic program year over year. Hell, that's like a WHOLE TV contract for members in CUSA. 

I think Wren's pay is designated from University funds, so that budgeting is up to Smatresk to find.   Now, Littrell's salary is mostly made of donor supplements... and if Wren can find additional funds from donors to keep hiking the HC's salary, that will also look good to potential candidates.
"Hey, we can pay you top dollar, sure, but it won't max us out to do so!  If you succeed, we can still pay you more."

• Upvote 2