DRC: UNT softball team captures share of C-USA title

Here's another example of Vito being negative.  Anyone else would say that we won the conference and then follow up with the details that while tied we have the tie breaker.  Instead, Vito puts it in the worst light possible which, unfortunately for him, is still really good.

I can't wait for Vito to move on and the DRC can find a decent writer. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 7
  • Downvote 7

58 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Here's another example of Vito being negative.  Anyone else would say that we won the conference and then follow up with the details that while tied we have the tie breaker.  Instead, Vito puts it in the worst light possible which, unfortunately for him, is still really good.

I can't wait for Vito to move on and the DRC can find a decent writer. 

I don't get your example, Vito is just explaining the situation which any good writer would do. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Eye Roll 1

16 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't get your example, Vito is just explaining the situation which any good writer would do. 

A good writer who covers UNT would have the headline say that UNT won the conference championship, which they did.  A good writer who covers La Tech would say that La Tech tied for the conference title but state in the article that UNT won the tie breaker . It's a simple thing but it's level 101 stuff for sports writers.  

If the Dallas Cowboys tie with Philly for the division title but win on tie breaker, the headline in the DMN won't be "Cowboys tie for the division" it'll be "Dallas Wins the Division".  Meanwhile, the headline in Philly will be "Philly ties for the division".  

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 7

23 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

A good writer who covers UNT would have the headline say that UNT won the conference championship, which they did.  A good writer who covers La Tech would say that La Tech tied for the conference title but state in the article that UNT won the tie breaker . It's a simple thing but it's level 101 stuff for sports writers.  

If the Dallas Cowboys tie with Philly for the division title but win on tie breaker, the headline in the DMN won't be "Cowboys tie for the division" it'll be "Dallas Wins the Division".  Meanwhile, the headline in Philly will be "Philly ties for the division".  

Actually NT did not win the conference championship, they won a co-championship.  You want Vito to report something that didn't happen?  

Earning the tiebreaker for tournament seeding is great and meaningful, but it does not mean NT is any more a champion than La Tech. 

The conference championship is determined by wins and loses, not by wins and losses plus tiebreaker status. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

27 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Actually NT did not win the conference championship, they won a co-championship.  You want Vito to report something that didn't happen?  

Earning the tiebreaker for tournament seeding is great and meaningful, but it does not mean NT is any more a champion than La Tech. 

The conference championship is determined by wins and loses, not by wins and losses plus tiebreaker status. 

Technically you might be correct but you only see that wording used by the team that didn't win the tie breaker.  Last I checked, Vito is supposed to be covering UNT, not La Tech.  It's a little thing but it's something either other sports writer seems to understand. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7

9 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Technically you might be correct but you only see that wording used by the team that didn't win the tie breaker.  Last I checked, Vito is supposed to be covering UNT, not La Tech.  It's a little thing but it's something either other sports writer seems to understand. 

Actually... it was worded that way by the Softball team themselves!

https://mobile.twitter.com/MeanGreenSB

D51aH8SXkAA6oKM?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Thanks captain obvious for your usual chance to counter any point possible, this time by reading us the base headline.  

We won a co-championship because our dumbass conference has a moron as commissioner running it and that’s what they’ve decided to call it in this “everyone wins a trophy” society..  

Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows you can’t announce a top seed without admitting a tie breaker was used and why, and that tie breaker points at the overall champion, and any team’s beat writer worth his salt would at least point that out.

But this is what I’ve come to expect from the same reporter who reports a win by the same team over an SEC team earlier in the season as a “Losing” weekend?

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

You can’t have a Vito article without reminding everyone how bad it’s been here.  It’s as if whenever anything positive happens around here Mean Green fans must be reminded that it’s just a fortunate, lucky occurrence. That this is really as good as can be expected because afterall...”It’s just North Texas”.

I wonder, as far as softball goes...how many conference championships do we need to win,...win in a row,...or win out of however many years from now before we’re not reminded of Kee and losing seasons?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Thanks captain obvious for your usual chance to counter any point possible, this time by reading us the base headline.  

We won a co-championship because our dumbass conference has a moron as commissioner running it and that’s what they’ve decided to call it in this “everyone wins a trophy” society..  

Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows you can’t announce a top seed without admitting a tie breaker was used and why, and that tie breaker points at the overall champion, and any team’s beat writer worth his salt would at least point that out.

But this is what I’ve come to expect from the same reporter who reports a win by the same team over an SEC team earlier in the season as a “Losing” weekend?

Rick

Apparently it is not too obvious, judging by your post. 

A co-championship is not the same as an outright conference championship.   If five teams had tied for the CUSA title would you insist on calling them all CUSA champions?

I have never seen any league that includes the tiebreaker has a component in declaring the league championship. If you have, please provide some examples.  

I have had more than a few co-championship in my high school athletic career, so I guarantee you there is a big difference.   

I played way before the everyone gets a trophy stage and my team after finishing tied for first place got to sit home several times by losing a coin toss.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

If five teams had tied for the CUSA title would you insist on calling them all CUSA champions?

I have never seen any league that includes the tiebreaker has a component in declaring the league championship. If you have, please provide some examples.  

Why would I call 5 teams champions when I wouldn’t call 2 teams co-champions?  Zero sense.

And ok, how bout the Big 12. Two years in a row now it’s been Oklahoma.  Every year since after their first season in 1996 The Big 12 has crowned a regular season softball champion with the head to head tie breaker rule in place should two teams finish with exact records.

Their basketball is the same..

In football nearly every conference uses head to head to decide either a conference champion or the division champion to send to the final championship.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/5/8/8561899/tiebreaker-standings-college-conference-rule#mountainwest

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2