G - SO Umoja Gibson 

G/F - JR Thomas Bell

G/F - JR Abdul Mohamed

F - SO Shakeem Alcindor

F - RS FR Mark Tikhonenko 

G/F - RS FR Larry Wise 

F - JR Jahmiah Simmons

G - SR DJ Draper

What do you guys think? One more roster cut left to make. 

Very upperclassmen heavy roster (6 juniors and 3 seniors at the moment). I think the biggest competition will be at the four spot, with maybe a competition between Reese and Gibson for that last starting guard spot, but I’m feeling pretty confident it will go to Reese. I think Geu is really helpful because he can start at the four and also provide backup minutes to Simmons, allowing for guys like Bell and Mohamed to play more minutes. With only Draper left from the Benford era (technically Simmons never played in the Benford era), we are starting to see the type of roster that Mccasland wants to construct.

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

Even with the loss of their best player from last year, NT should be a lot deeper and better.  This club has went from one that was pretty much set, 4 returning starters that averaged double digit points to much more of a mystery.

Again, I think Geu is far from a sure thing to start.   The knock on him from NDSU fans was  too many turnovers and he is going to have to play good defense to start for McCasland.  I also think Gibson will be in the starting lineup, but it will be a battle particularly if NT goes to a 3 guard offense.  

Smart is kind of a wild card, if he is the sophomore version; he will start, the last year version will get few minutes.  Also people forget about Wise who was a very sought after recruit.as was Jackson.  Muhammed, Alcindor and Tikhononko are big unknowns from a fan's view.  Could one of them challenge for a starting position?  You also have to factor in McCasland's infatuation with J. Simmons.  A player that didn't show much more than toughness last year playing mostly out of position. 

I actually hope your lineup is correct, but my guess still goes to Gibson starting in a 4 guard lineup with Geu getting about 25 minutes a game but again as a backup.   

• Upvote 2

I’m just interested to see who leaves. The only guys left who aren’t Mcaslands  guys are Simmons and Gibson (from what I heard Benford and having family ties to the university were why he signed... he had friends/family sitting behind us at a game who confirmed this). I wonder if one they is next. My gut tells me both stay, but I’m slightly worried Zach Simmons will leave. 😕

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

PG - JR Javion Hamlet

G - SR Roosevelt Smart

G - JR James Reese

F - JR Abdul Muhammed - • Averaged 15.7 points and 6.5 rebounds per game last season

F - JR Zachary Simmons

@BillySee58 I liked your list but just switched out Geu with Muhammed on a whim.  My thinking is you have Geu who is used to being the 6th man and Umoja to come off the bench depending on what you need.  I also could easily see Umoja start in place of Bell.  Jackson would be the backup PG.

I am really intrigued with Muhammed as he was a juco all american before redshirting with us last season and I have heard he can shoot the three ball pretty well and has been impressive in practices.  

It’s certainly an intriguing lineup of players.  If there was one thing I wish we still had was a bruiser down in the paint.  I’d hoped Arikawe would be that for us.  I don’t know that Geu or Muhammed are either.  People don’t realize how great a rebounder Ryan was.  I’m hoping Bell can help with that.

1 hour ago, RiseUNT said:

Can we get a set roster before we talk about starting lineups?

Ah, but this is what forums are for. Also, the only thing left before this roster is set is seeing which player not currently in the mix to start is asked to move on (or transfer to academic scholarship, in which case the roster would be set).

But yeah, you’re more than welcome to wait until the roster is set to join in the discussion.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Ah, but this is what forums are for. Also, the only thing left before this roster is set is seeing which player not currently in the mix to start is asked to move on (or transfer to academic scholarship, in which case the roster would be set).

But yeah, you’re more than welcome to wait until the roster is set to join in the discussion.

Yes which player is leaving is a big deal. Also will all juco transfers make it in? Will the grad transfer say hey I'm just gonna go pro in Europe? In the next 7 months will anything else happen? 

2 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

Yes which player is leaving is a big deal. Also will all juco transfers make it in? Will the grad transfer say hey I'm just gonna go pro in Europe? In the next 7 months will anything else happen? 

Well if anything does it’s a good thing we can just make new replies to update it. They’re posts on a message board.

• Upvote 1