DRC: Breaking news (updated with story, quote from Woolridge) -- Woolridge to transfer

Not unexpected, but I still don't like it.

This graduate transfer process is great for the players, but not so good for fans.  The obvious result is the better players are going to move up to more prestigious schools and it will serve to widen the gap between the have and have-nots.  

The concept is very flawed.   The schools are paying for summer schools for athletes that allows them to transfer early. 

I wonder if schools are going to start limiting the summer schooling which has become a standard benefit at most colleges. 

In fact, athletes are almost forced to go to summer school if they don't have the money to pay for their own food and lodging during the summer.  

I wish against all odds, that the NCAA would take steps to curtail this graduate transfer procedure.  

Woolridge did a great job at NT and we all should thank him for his contributions.  Unmatched quickness and fantastic effort were part of his game.  

Frankly however, what he does at his next college, holds little interest to me. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, drex said:

So does this decision preclude him from ever being in the Hall of Fame?  It should.

As much as NT HOF qualifications  continue to slide, I doubt a third team all conference player on teams that never came close to a conference championship would even be in the conversation.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

36 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Thank you for the time you put in at UNT to help better UNT basketball.

With that said, he will never succeed in a more prestigious conference. Can't shoot + injury prone = pine riding time if he does get the opportunity to "move up". 

A healthy Woolridge could start for the vast majority of college teams.  

I think his problem is going to be having to prove that he is completely heathy and likely to stay that way.   People overlook what a good defensive player Woolridge is.  

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

19 hours ago, drex said:

So does this decision preclude him from ever being in the Hall of Fame?  It should.

Why? He got a degree and is leaving as an alumni! Just because he doesn’t play out his final year here you want to forget all his contributions? Sorry but thats just not right 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Why? He got a degree and is leaving as an alumni! Just because he doesn’t play out his final year here you want to forget all his contributions? Sorry but thats just not right 

https://meangreensports.com/news/2016/2/9/North_Texas_Adds_Transfer_Ryan_Woolridge_For_2016_17.aspx

Hooray for the transfer system! What a wise, savvy young man! 

https://www.dentonrc.com/sports/breaking-news-ryan-woolridge-to-transfer-from-unt/article_b11cba1f-d99f-5f95-a353-c9e66331fa1e.html

F--- YOU!!! You're dead to us! You were never any good anyway, and you'll suck wherever you go assuming you don't get hurt walking through the door! 

9 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

F--- YOU!!! You're dead to us! You were never any good anyway, and you'll suck wherever you go assuming you don't get hurt walking through the door! 

I couldn't agree more. I hope his choice comes down to Longwood and Ball State. And I'm not even talking about basketball.

Just kidding, of course. I appreciate his time here. In my opinion, he was the best PG we've had in the 20+ years that I have been watching. I'm not sure if people took my comment about FT as being negative. I was just stating an opinion based on his history at the line.

I know nothing about RW outside of his contribution to the program. I don't think that he is doing anything out of the ordinary in today's world of college basketball. Any team will be happy to have him on their squad and he will be missed here.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

If a guy graduates, I salute him and wish him good luck.  Sad to see him leave obviously (and disappointed), but I can't hold it against him either.  You come to school to go to school, right?  If he wants to play ball somewhere else after graduating, more power to him.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3

Good kid...always smiling...when healthy, he was one of only two players we had that consistently drove the lane.  He was a team leader and team player...looking more to make the assist then the basket himself. I wish him all the success in the world wherever he lands.

That being said...why transfer? He said he loved UNT and he graduated. Why not play that last year here? Fans love ya! One has to wonder if the knee cap issue will hurt his chances elsewhere? 

• Anyway, just me, but I don't get it. None the less...great kid and I wish his well going forward, congratulate him on graduating and thank him for his excellent service to the Mean Green.  That is all.
  • Upvote 4
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, CMJ said:

If a guy graduates, I salute him and wish him good luck.  Sad to see him leave obviously (and disappointed), but I can't hold it against him either.  You come to school to go to school, right?  If he wants to play ball somewhere else after graduating, more power to him.

I agree with all this. . . . But if he goes to SMU, he is dead to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3