Breaking News UNT land Huge grad transfer

14 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Not sure anyone is giddy.   However, if you check their message board you will see pages and pages of comments mostly very complimentary of this player. 

This guy didn't start, but he is a D1 transfer with very good numbers based on only playing 18 minutes a game. 

Looks like a near perfect player to back up Z. Simmons to me, maybe NT's biggest need.  

I think he starts at the 4. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Odds against that, McCasland wants a four guard offense.  

There maybe a few games with both on the court, but I doubt it happens much.  If he goes away from 4 guard offense; he will play Bell at the 4.

Very true. 

Just saying I think. He is not a center or even a banger at power forward. He isn't coming here to be a back up center.

I think coach has used a 4 gaurd lineup out of necessity because the lack of length he has had. 

Edited by RiseUNT
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RiseUNT said:

Very true. 

Just saying I think. He is not a center or even a banger at power forward. He isn't coming here to be a back up center.

I think coach has used a 4 gaurd lineup out of necessity because the lack of length he has had. 

Completely agree. Mccasland wants skill out of his four. It doesn’t have to be a guard. And Geu has some quality suitors. I doubt he comes here with the intention of being a backup for his senior season

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

Very true. 

4 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Completely agree. Mccasland wants skill out of his four. It doesn’t have to be a guard. And Geu has some quality suitors. I doubt he comes here with the intention of being a backup for his senior season

Well, I guess we will see how it shakes out.

Stating the obvious, no Geu didn't come here to be a bench player or did anyone else on the team.   However, he has a lot of competition to be a starter.  

He gives McCasland a lot more options but I don't see him starting before Gibson, Smart, Woolridge, or Z. Simmons.  I also doubt he is going to beat out one of the new juco guards or  Bell for the last position in the starting lineup.  

McCasland is a defense first coach, and that is not Geu's reputation.  If he is not a banger or power forward, why would NT start him before faster and on paper better shooting  players?  

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Stating the obvious, no Geu didn't come here to be a bench player or did anyone else on the team.   However, he has a lot of competition to be a starter.  

He gives McCasland a lot more options but I don't see him starting before Gibson, Smart, Woolridge, or Z. Simmons.  I also doubt he is going to beat out one of the new juco guards or  Bell for the last position in the starting lineup.  

McCasland is a defense first coach, and that is not Geu's reputation.  If he is not a banger or power forward, why would NT start him before faster and on paper better shooting  players?  

I see him taking over from Miller but being 3-4” taller. We will see him and Zach on the floor at the same time.  I don’t believe Smart starts with this line up based off of last year. If Smart isn’t scoring it could be tough because his D and ball handling skills are limited. The 2 new guards are good at the line which could limit Wooly in the last minutes of close games. Very exciting times!

• Upvote 2

Every player comes to a school with the intention of being a starter at some point in their career. For a grad transfer that is only one season. If you read his words, he’s a smart dude. He came off the bench his entire NDSU career. Seems pretty apparent he wants to start in his last college season, and he had quality options. I don’t think Mccasland guaranteed him a starting spot, but I think the only way we would be able to get him is if we can give him something pretty close to that.

I think Gibson goes back to the bench. We need bench scoring. Reese allows you to do that.

He might be the best rebounder on the roster, he’s tall and athletic, and he has offensive skill. He had more rebounds per 100 possessions than anyone on our roster who played significant minutes, and he had good shooting and offensive numbers. Like I said, he gives you size and skill. Mccasland does not start four guards as his default. If he has a big guy who has the skill to be that stretch four, he doesn’t have to start someone who is 6’3” at the four. Geu gives us that. 

Its hard to imagine that guys like Bell or Mohamed in their first year at the D1 level could give us the production that Geu had last year. And Geu should not only be improved from that, but should also have an expanded role.

If you extrapolate Geu’s numbers last season to be over 25 minutes a game (instead of the 18.3 that he averaged) you’re looking at 13 points and 7 rebounds a game. That’d be a really quality player, and I expect him to make another leap like he has every year in college, especially with his shooting.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Every player comes to a school with the intention of being a starter at some point in their career. For a grad transfer that is only one season. If you read his words, he’s a smart dude. He came off the bench his entire NDSU career. Seems pretty apparent he wants to start in his last college season, and he had quality options. I don’t think Mccasland guaranteed him a starting spot, but I think the only way we would be able to get him is if we can give him something pretty close to that.

I think Gibson goes back to the bench. We need bench scoring. Reese allows you to do that.

He might be the best rebounder on the roster, he’s tall and athletic, and he has offensive skill. He had more rebounds per 100 possessions than anyone on our roster who played significant minutes, and he had good shooting and offensive numbers. Like I said, he gives you size and skill. Mccasland does not start four guards as his default. If he has a big guy who has the skill to be that stretch four, he doesn’t have to start someone who is 6’3” at the four. Geu gives us that. 

Its hard to imagine that guys like Bell or Mohamed in their first year at the D1 level could give us the production that Geu had last year. And Geu should not only be improved from that, but should also have an expanded role.

If you extrapolate Geu’s numbers last season to be over 25 minutes a game (instead of the 18.3 that he averaged) you’re looking at 13 points and 7 rebounds a game. That’d be a really quality player, and I expect him to make another leap like he has every year in college, especially with his shooting.

Even though I hope you are right, I don't see McCasland changing his basic offense.   

That offense is based on a point guard and a big plus three wing players.  Geu could play a wing, but he is going to have some strong competition for that position.  

I think Gibson starts, but even if he does not; he will get starter minutes.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

12 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Even though I hope you are right, I don't see McCasland changing his basic offense.   

That offense is based on a point guard and a big plus three wing players.  Geu could play a wing, but he is going to have some strong competition for that position.  

I think Gibson starts, but even if he does not; he will get starter minutes.  

Mccasland started Jahmiah Simmons at the four at Arkansas State and tried starting him at the four at the beginning of last season. Simmons is not really a wing and I think Geu is better than Simmons in most aspects. Plus, I think Woolridge helped make up for not having a good rebounder at the four. We will need more rebounding from that position with him gone.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I've been following the posts concerning this young man and I have grown more excited about him.  I think Coach McCasland has found a real gem here and we will all be pleasantly surprised with the player's contributions to the team.

Since I first read about his recruitment, I have have been holding back my inner smartass. After seeing his video and what he brings to UNT I can no longer resist...

Deng Geu... Deng Geu very much!!

image.png.a83fa5e62d768f4227b1979428eae7fb.png

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/30/2019 at 2:41 PM, BillySee58 said:

@Harrythe fact that he has committed makes me think he was pitched with a chance to start after being a stalwart on the bench at NDSU. So maybe not a 4-guard look after all. 

Agree Billy - Geu’s commit and also Muhammed  being back gives us some size options we did not have last year.

Geu and his NDSU squad made it to the NCAA tourney this past season by winning their Summit conference tourney.  They were beaten handily by Duke but Geu scored 6 points and had 3 boards in the game.  Perhaps he can help us get to the tourney again this season.

• 3 weeks later...