A way-too-early football season prediction

Skipper

I think we will have a winning season, but our schedule is much tougher than last year's. Last year, MU was breaking in a new coach and playing us here, Arkansas was really bad in Chad Morris' first year, and Liberty was not a tough OOC opponent. This year, all of our OOC games are MUCH harder than last year. SMU will be better, UH is very good, and Cal is solid. Then, we play MUTS and Charlotte from the East, which is probably tougher than FAU and ODU last year, plus we play at La Tech and USM.

I think we can get to 7-8 wins, but it'll be a tougher run than 2018 by almost every metric, schedule-wise. 

As usual, we will score points, but can we stop people in the second half and can we make any decent drives in the 2nd half to stomp the life out of these teams? Until we see the last two things occur, its gonna be tough to imagine us getting a CUSA West title or anything above that.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 5/1/2019 at 9:40 AM, untjim1995 said:

I think we will have a winning season, but our schedule is much tougher than last year's. Last year, MU was breaking in a new coach and playing us here, Arkansas was really bad in Chad Morris' first year, and Liberty was not a tough OOC opponent. This year, all of our OOC games are MUCH harder than last year. SMU will be better, UH is very good, and Cal is solid. Then, we play MUTS and Charlotte from the East, which is probably tougher than FAU and ODU last year, plus we play at La Tech and USM.

I think we can get to 7-8 wins, but it'll be a tougher run than 2018 by almost every metric, schedule-wise. 

As usual, we will score points, but can we stop people in the second half and can we make any decent drives in the 2nd half to stomp the life out of these teams? Until we see the last two things occur, its gonna be tough to imagine us getting a CUSA West title or anything above that.

MUTS and Charlotte is not tougher than FAU and ODU. Not even close. 

SMU will be a tick better, but not great. So that equals itself out. 

I think from a team standpoint, Cal will be better than Arkansas. But from a talent standpoint, Arkansas is much more talented. So that sort of equals itself out. 

USM will be a better team. 

I think having UH on the schedule makes the schedule slightly more difficult. But the schedule by any means is not head and shoulders better last years. Pull out UH of the 2019 schedule and insert Liberty, the schedules look similar. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Not that they will beat us but ACU seems to be trending up this year as well.

the 2019 schedule looks tough as hell to me especially with the pieces we lost on defense.  SMU will be improved, Cal is better than Ark was and we played down to competition last year so games like UTSA Charlotte and heck even UTEP could be tougher than we think.  

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not that they will beat us but ACU seems to be trending up this year as well.

the 2019 schedule looks tough as hell to me especially with the pieces we lost on defense.  SMU will be improved, Cal is better than Ark was and we played down to competition last year so games like UTSA Charlotte and heck even UTEP could be tougher than we think.  

All 3 are wins, as is ACU. Those are 4 what I think the big boys would describe as "cupcakes." Lose to them, or even just 2 of the 4, Seth Littrell's name will start to disappear into the night...

stare disappear GIF

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

All 3 are wins, as is ACU. Those are 4 what I think the big boys would describe as "cupcakes." Lose to them, or even just 2 of the 4, Seth Littrell's name will start to disappear into the night...

stare disappear GIF

Yes, ACU, Rice, UTEP, and Charlotte have to be sure wins. Then, you look at with MUTS, UTSA, And UAB as games we need to win at least two of. That leaves a hopeful split with La Tech and USM on the road. Then, if you can get one win from SMU, UH, and Cal, that gets you 8 wins...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

Yes, ACU, Rice, UTEP, and Charlotte have to be sure wins. Then, you look at with MUTS, UTSA, And UAB as games we need to win at least two of. That leaves a hopeful split with La Tech and USM on the road. Then, if you can get one win from SMU, UH, and Cal, that gets you 8 wins...

IMO, there is no logical reason outside of an anomaly (ODU) that we lose any of the first 7 games you have listed. MUTS will be sending away their 17th year senior QB. UAB will be sending away their 9th year senior class. UTSA, IMO, is stumbling in a bout and needs a knockout blow type season for Franky to be sent down the road kicking rocks. In theory, we should to 7-0 there. Even more so if you consider the timing of our program. 

La Tech and USM, I'm with you. 2 of the top 3 West teams. Both on the road. Not good. But, we do have a little ace in our sleeve. We owe La Tech a little payback. Hopefully they have large crowd to witness their L too. So a split here gets us to 8-1, in theory. 

We need to beat the brakes off of SMU in Dallas. And I think this is the year we do it. Maybe not as bad as last years beatdown, though would be nice. But I think we walk out of Dallas with a 2 TD win. UH is going to be tough only due to their QB + our history defending running QB's. The crowd will be big for this one, so that is in our favor. I have to imagine UH will be favored though and Las Vegas has open betting lines for a reason. Cal to me is a toss up. But history is history. So, a probably outcome of this 3 game mini season is 1-2. 

9-3. 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

IMO, there is no logical reason outside of an anomaly (ODU) that we lose any of the first 7 games you have listed. MUTS will be sending away their 17th year senior QB. UAB will be sending away their 9th year senior class. UTSA, IMO, is stumbling in a bout and needs a knockout blow type season for Franky to be sent down the road kicking rocks. In theory, we should to 7-0 there. Even more so if you consider the timing of our program. 

La Tech and USM, I'm with you. 2 of the top 3 West teams. Both on the road. Not good. But, we do have a little ace in our sleeve. We owe La Tech a little payback. Hopefully they have large crowd to witness their L too. So a split here gets us to 8-1, in theory. 

We need to beat the brakes off of SMU in Dallas. And I think this is the year we do it. Maybe not as bad as last years beatdown, though would be nice. But I think we walk out of Dallas with a 2 TD win. UH is going to be tough only due to their QB + our history defending running QB's. The crowd will be big for this one, so that is in our favor. I have to imagine UH will be favored though and Las Vegas has open betting lines for a reason. Cal to me is a toss up. But history is history. So, a probably outcome of this 3 game mini season is 1-2. 

9-3. 

I got no problem with this. I think it’s very possible, too. I see us winning 7-9 regular season games.

• Upvote 1

• Harry featured this topic
On 5/7/2019 at 4:01 PM, untjim1995 said:

I got no problem with this. I think it’s very possible, too. I see us winning 7-9 regular season games.

Agree it could vary quite a bit depending on how we start.