DRC: UNT lands pair of highly regarded junior college guards

Brett Vito

4 hours ago, agw0038 said:

2. Ryan Woolridge is not coming back?

Why are people speculating that Woolridge is not returning?  I have seen nothing to support this and have read that he and Gibson are returning to our back court. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Why are people speculating that Woolridge is not returning?  I have seen nothing to support this and have read that he and Gibson are returning to our back court. 

Just now, GreenGonzo said:

I didn't realize there was P5 distinction in basketball.

Because he graduated and has had a ton of wear and tear on his body. I don't think he will grad transfer. But I think he will go over seas or play professional at some level. I think that is the only reason grant brought in 2 PGs. I think if he leaves they fill it with a forward. But i think PG was most pressing need. He may not leave but I think Grant and Co was covering bases just in case.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

McCastland brought in two players who fit his system, I doubt it has anything to do with replacing Woolridge. 

Hamlet and Reese appear to be copies of each other at 6'3 with similar backgrounds. 

Hamlet played point for a 28-5 team and averaged 32 minutes, 17.8 pts, 3.1 rbs and 6.6 assists, 

Reese was an off guard for a 28.-7 team snd averaged  27 minutes, 16 pts, 2.7 rbs and 2.1 assists.   Minutes appear low, but in fact, he played the most minutes on a well balanced team. 

There is a lot to like about these two and they should make NT very deep at the guard positions.

It would have been great to get a  different maker at the post or forward positions, but they are hard to find and probably difficult for a guard oriented offense team to recruit.

• Upvote 3

UNT is coming off a 21-12 season, its second straight campaign with at least 20 wins under Grant McCasland. The Mean Green are scheduled to return several of their key players, including starting guards Roosevelt Smart and Umoja Gibson.

Actually, this didn't register with me when I read the article.  Find it interesting that Vito didn't mentioned Woolridge in the comment above.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, agw0038 said:

1. Are they both coming in ad juniors?

Yes. Looks like Hamlet has two years to play two seasons (already took his redshirt) and Reese has three years to play two seasons (still has his redshirt, though plan would be to not use it)

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

He only mentioned two players in that comment.   Do you fear, that NT is going to lose most of the team?  

Is most of the team graduating with play-anywhere-talent, and a free year to xfer and play immediately?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

He only mentioned two players in that comment.   Do you fear, that NT is going to lose most of the team?  

He was referencing returning starting guards.  Guess you missed that.  Considering our starting guards were Smart, Gibson and Woolridge, the omission of one of the three stood out to me.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

Is most of the team graduating with play-anywhere-talent, and a free year to xfer and play immediately?

Do  you see his name on the transfer list or have you heard anything about Woolridge wanting to transfer?  Has McCasland ever lost a player he wanted to keep due to transfer?

I suppose we can all worry about losing Woolridge just because he is eligible to transfer. 

If it is all speculation anyway, I prefer to think that he sees the opportunity NT has to be really good next year returning four starters and adding a lot of firepower in the incoming class and redshirts.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

He was referencing returning starting guards.  Guess you missed that.  Considering our starting guards were Smart, Gibson and Woolridge, the omission of one of the three stood out to me.  

You are correct, it does appear odd that he mentioned Gibson and Smart and not Woolridge.   

However, I suspect Vito is just speculating like we are. 

If he had any better information, he is not shy about sharing it. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2019 at 7:22 AM, UNTLifer said:

I would say based on his FB page he is probably leaving. 😢

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1