Goooo Starsssssssss!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I know it is premature but I dug out my 1999 Stanley Cup Champions shirt. Was going to wear it today but I had second thoughts. I do not want to jinx us!

Will cheer for the Stars and wear the shirt if we end up making the finals.

DallasStarslogo.png.44df43a42ae79b263ea8318657feba33.png

• Upvote 1

That call (non-call) made me want to puke. Bishop was down and not moving to get up. Just because his arms were twitching, I guess the ref figured he was alive ... no death, no whistle!!

Edited by EagleMBA

I didn't know this thread existed and was looking to start my own about the Stars. I really hope we get the Blues tomorrow. Their fans are the most annoying and deluded fans in the league. It's obvious we live and die by Bishop. Let's just hope he is on tomorrow like he was Game 5. Good news is he is good to go tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I didn't know this thread existed and was looking to start my own about the Stars. I really hope we get the Blues tomorrow. Their fans are the most annoying and deluded fans in the league. It's obvious we live and die by Bishop. Let's just hope he is on tomorrow like he was Game 5. Good news is he is good to go tomorrow. 

That is great news! Looks like he can take a puckin' and keep on truckin'!

Let's blast the Blues and get ready to feast on what looks likely to be the Sharks.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

That is great news! Looks like he can take a puckin' and keep on truckin'!

Let's blast the Blues and get ready to feast on what looks likely to be the Sharks.

Yeah, they confirmed he will play. Just need him to be on it. And looking forward to it. The Sharks are dirtier than the Blues and that's saying a lot

• Upvote 2

Haven't gotten to see the full game yet due to work. I did see the play where Bishop went down. The play should have been blown dead. If the goalie goes down, and the opposing team has the puck, play stops. If the goalie's team has the puck, play can continue until the other team possess the puck. It's textbook officiating. Even longtime ref, Kerry Frazier said the play should have stopped. 

I hate "the league/refs don't want ____ to win" , but it's painfully obvious that the league does not want the Stars to win this season. It was even obvious in the Nashville series. That said, I've never seen such terrible officiating across the league in one playoffs, and we're not even half over. The series ending call in the Vegas/San Jose Game 7 was atrocious. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Rudy said:

Haven't gotten to see the full game yet due to work. I did see the play where Bishop went down. The play should have been blown dead. If the goalie goes down, and the opposing team has the puck, play stops. If the goalie's team has the puck, play can continue until the other team possess the puck. It's textbook officiating. Even longtime ref, Kerry Frazier said the play should have stopped. 

I hate "the league/refs don't want ____ to win" , but it's painfully obvious that the league does not want the Stars to win this season. It was even obvious in the Nashville series. That said, I've never seen such terrible officiating across the league in one playoffs, and we're not even half over. The series ending call in the Vegas/San Jose Game 7 was atrocious. 

Agreed completely. We learn that in freaking youth league that if someone is down, you blow the play dead or throw the ball out of bounds so they can be attended to. Seems like every major sport nowadays is being marred by terrible officiating. But if a fan calls out the officiating, we're either homers or conspiracy theorists. Officiating is a big part of my turn off towards modern professional sports. 

So, is there or is there not a rule saying that in cases like this, the refs have to wait until the injured team is in possession of the puck before they can blow the whistle?  I know when I refereed soccer that I often did not stop play just because a player went down.  Sort of depended on my "feel" for the run of play and the potential severity of the injury.  Anyone who watches or has played soccer from youth leagues up know this to be a fact of the game.  When I saw Bishop go down in apparent real agony, I felt the game should have been stopped immediately and that goal waived off.  If that had been a game of soccer I was referring, I would have immediately blown the whistle and waved off that goal.  It was obviously a serious injury that incapacitated Ben Bishop with the puck sitting right in his net area.  Fair play dictates that I would have stopped play and waived off that goal.

BUT, this is hockey, not soccer, and I am not a "hockey guy", but the announcers said the Stars were not in possession of the puck so they did not stop play.  That's what they said and I assume the announcers know the rules, yes?

Either way...thought it was pretty low class by the Blues to not just give the puck up to a Star player or hit it up and out of play.  However, it was game six of the series and the Blues had to win or go home. So, there was that.

OK, hockey folks...what's the actual rule? Announcers correct about stoppage and possession? Refs made the right call? Wrong call?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I'm utterly disgusted and passed right now. Not for losing, but for that completely trashy effort tonight. Aside from a few players, they looked like ass for the whole game. It starts with your "captain", Benn. I counted at least 5 times he was beaten to a puck or out muscled. I actually stopped counting.  Bishop was his usual self, which means top 5 in the league goaltending.  It's sickening that a guy stands on his head like that and the rest of the team plays lime that. 

This off season the Stars need to find a new captain, resign Zuccs, and find a big physical defenseman who will put people on their asses. 

Also, we knew we weren't going to get any calls, no surprise there. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

So, is there or is there not a rule saying that in cases like this, the refs have to wait until the injured team is in possession of the puck before they can blow the whistle?  I know when I refereed soccer that I often did not stop play just because a player went down.  Sort of depended on my "feel" for the run of play and the potential severity of the injury.  Anyone who watches or has played soccer from youth leagues up know this to be a fact of the game.  When I saw Bishop go down in apparent real agony, I felt the game should have been stopped immediately and that goal waived off.  If that had been a game of soccer I was referring, I would have immediately blown the whistle and waved off that goal.  It was obviously a serious injury that incapacitated Ben Bishop with the puck sitting right in his net area.  Fair play dictates that I would have stopped play and waived off that goal.

BUT, this is hockey, not soccer, and I am not a "hockey guy", but the announcers said the Stars were not in possession of the puck so they did not stop play.  That's what they said and I assume the announcers know the rules, yes?

Either way...thought it was pretty low class by the Blues to not just give the puck up to a Star player or hit it up and out of play.  However, it was game six of the series and the Blues had to win or go home. So, there was that.

OK, hockey folks...what's the actual rule? Announcers correct about stoppage and possession? Refs made the right call? Wrong call?

First and foremost, hockey players, as a whole, do not flop. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

First and foremost, hockey players, as a whole, do not flop. 

Agree...but they darn sure do a lot of fighting, if that’s what you call it, in the regular season which stops play...sometimes at rather strategic times. Which, of course, doesn't  happen in the regular season. Which, of course, tells one it is done purposely...not so much on emotion.  Pretty much like flopping to stop play in the eyes of a casual, very casual, hockey observer. Not tagging on hockey at all...just observing behavior.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

No that is not the case the refs can blow the whistle at the moment of any injury and always do for goalies. 

Then, if that is the case in hockey, why wasn’t the whistle blown to stop play? Announcers were totally wrong? 🤷‍♂️ Refs screwed the pooch🤷‍♂️

• Downvote 1

The effort last night was absolutely pathetic. Turnovers, passing around instead of shooting the goddamn puck, couldn't even string simple passes together. How many break away chances were screwed up royally to the point that we couldn't even get a shot off? I legitimately feel bad for Bishop. He was on another level last night and got little to no support at all. Faced over 60 shots and only let 2 in, amazing. Well, on to next season, Dallas Bishop's.

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan

Yes, hockey players fight. Sometimes to get your team or fans fired up, sometimes because someone cheap shots your players, and sometimes because you just don't like the other guy. Fighting is literally on the opposite end of flopping and pretending like you're hurt. 

• Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

12 hours ago, Rudy said:

This off season the Stars need to find a new captain, resign Zuccs, and find a big physical defenseman who will put people on their asses. 

Benn has been solid for us, I agree with Zucc, and Polak wasn't big and physical enough for you? Johns being out this year was no help either.

I like the young guys we have. Hintz and Heiskanen are gonna be studs.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Benn has been solid for us, I agree with Zucc, and Polak wasn't big and physical enough for you? Johns being out this year was no help either.

I like the young guys we have. Hintz and Heiskanen are gonna be studs.

Agreed on all accounts. Though Benn did fade late in the playoffs to the point he was a liability against the Blues. Young players, new coach, they faded in the moment as young teams typically do but I don't think sweeping changes are needed. Our power play kill was excellent and Polak was a big reason for that. Think this team just needs more time to mesh so passes don't stray, they don't pass up shooting opportunities to pass, etc.