Tuition rates at UNT and other universities are skyrocketing

I paid $50 tuition and a $25 student activity fee per semester for a full load.  I am sitting here with my used Botany book I bought at Voertman’s for $5.80.  I graduated from NTSU with a BSE, MED, Nd an EdD and no debt.  I taught college in Arkansas for 45 years.  I watched as costs rose every year at a rate greater than inflation.  A few years ago, a research group looked at the rising costs and found a majority of the rising costs were not due to academic costs.  Most of the increase was due to increased spending in the non-academic area.  Contributing to our problem was going from state supported to state assisted.  When I started teaching the state contributed about 75% of our budget.  When I retired, the state was contributing less than 50%.  Unfortunately, I think our mindset has become  the benefit of college education is to the individual rather than the state as a whole.  

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

https://ask.unimelb.edu.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/288/kw/Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTU4NTI3OTA1L3NpZC9mVW9HYm56JTdFV1VJalJTbmtRQ2JCcFJYbkdIa3R5QkZPYkl3Y3pneVBvdkI1MUYlN0VDXzl3MXVvRHpVdjFXaDBIVUI5Vlo2eE94YXlMRHFFQm9SY3FRTTFIQ2xJNVdRdTRLSWxwMTZZWGZaZVpsTUpPVXZtWG8wUEtnJTIxJTIx

https://study.unimelb.edu.au/how-to-apply/fees/student-contribution-amounts

these are 2019 numbers. your friends are ill-informed. it happens. I still meet plenty of Americans who think their country was founded by Christopher Columbus in 1842. 

as to the bolded part...you and I have boarded many planes for many trips of various lengths. does any part of that story read as something you've heard of, known of or experienced before? 

I will be sure and let them know, especially the young lady with the MBA, that they don’t know what they are talking about. We Americans will show them Aussies who knows more about their educational system!  👍👍. Take that you Aussies! Am sure they be duly impressed and insist on buying my next pint as an apology. 

OK...and, yes, boarding flights in different countries can be very challenging...even your own as we experienced this trip. Handed the gate agent in Philly our boarding passes for our flight to Edinburgh printed out the same morning at DFW with the seats we had reserved nine months  prior clearly stated, and the agent goes nope...not good. Step to the side! Really? Made me prove I had paid for the tickets and had those seats assigned after waiting until everyone else boarded. Did showing them my on-line AA generated itinerary work? Nope. This after having left our luggage in Dallas with the same Philly gate agent saying...and I quote “I don’t care where your luggage is or the problems you are having, those boarding passes are not valid!” So, at this point, I am not going to dispute a kid’s “gate agent” story. Especially one from Australia working with an Australian gate agent. I asked him if he meant customs agent upon arriving in the UK. He said no...gate agent. Odd...yes, we agree. But, after my experience...who is to tell the kid he is mistaken as to what happened to him? Anyway, we’ll have a fun discussion tomorrow. 

Anyway...we/I have gone far astray. And as one posted...probably best for another thread. I have a Whiskey and Gin festival to attend in Plockton starting Saturday. Much more important.

• Downvote 6

Hello. I just logged on from Scotland (after flying DFW to LHR to CPG to SVG to ABZ over the course of a few days, all without being weirdly detained), and I have questions:

1. Why are we "debating" the rise in costs?
  2. Why are we yelling at kids and setting up for an argument for no logical reason? Why is this a generational sticking point at all? Like some of the others, I got through with no debt and worked jobs, but also recognize I had family support and a much lower cost not that long ago.

More importantly, many questions for Kram:

1. Why are you still using paper passes? Why not use an app and be done with it?
  2. Did you use a travel agent?
  3. Are travel agents still a thing?
  4. If you are using a travel agent, can I book your next trip for a smaller commission?
  5. Why are you traveling with 20 somethings from Australia?
  6. Did you meet them before the trip?
  7. How did you small talk them?
  8. Are you staying in hostels? 
  9. If they took the interest in you, are you staying suspicious and safe for when the heel turn comes?
  10. Have they asked you to get what feels like an unusual amount of ice?
  11. Do you still have both kidneys?
  12. Do you think they are still good with money? I propose these Aussies are not good with money if they are buying you pints... unless the organ harvest theory is just too real and they will earn a huge return on this investment. 
  13. Do you think they will register for GMG.com?
  14. Putting aside a working knowledge of air travel and working most of my adult life in this industry, I will reduce my logistical questions to just one: How did you leave your luggage in Dallas with a Philly gate agent? 
  15. Will you share your favorites from the festival? Whisky is the fun choice here, but the gins here have been incredible. Monkey Tail 47, Hayman's and Silver Tail have been my favorites so far, and a lot of the Scottish tonics and infusions have been amazing too. You may also want to adopt the regional spelling of whisky to avoid embarrassment, although not sure if avoiding getting dunked on is a huge priority in general.

Have fun!

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1

Univ of Sydney also matches Univ of Melbourne’s tuition of “”Band 1” degree programs of $6566 AUD per year, or appx $4500 USD.  As both are the same, it is likely this is a mandated tuition by the government.

Also, the Australian Higher Ed system is based on the British system and Bachelor degrees are earned in 3 rather than 4 years.  So in reality, these tuition rates are easily accessible using public websites, we can determine that tuition costs for a complete Australian Bachelor’s Degree costs $13,500. Using the 2019-20 UNT Tuition Calculator, for a Dance and Theater major is $13,000 a year.

“you are entitled to you opinions. You are not entitled to your own facts.”

- Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan 

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Peacock said:

Univ of Sydney also matches Univ of Melbourne’s tuition of “”Band 1” degree programs of $6566 AUD per year, or appx $4500 USD.  As both are the same, it is likely this is a mandated tuition by the government.

Also, the Australian Higher Ed system is based on the British system and Bachelor degrees are earned in 3 rather than 4 years.  So in reality, these tuition rates are easily accessible using public websites, we can determine that tuition costs for a complete Australian Bachelor’s Degree costs $13,500. Using the 2019-20 UNT Tuition Calculator, for a Dance and Theater major is $13,000 a year.

“you are entitled to you opinions. You are not entitled to your own facts.”

- Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan 

How would you rank your awareness and understanding of contemporary Texas university students and their financial/administrative academic challenges vs. (just hypothetically speaking) a random vacationing teenager from the southern hemisphere? 

Asking for an acquaintance. 

On 5/13/2019 at 12:13 AM, greenminer said:

I know this is a loaded question, but how long would you say it took your gen to pay off student loan debt?

I certainly can't speak for everyone during my time at NTSU (1967-1971), but for the most part, there was no student debt.  For most of us it was "pay as you go".  If you didn't have the cash you sat out the semester, went to work or joined the armed forces before you got drafted.  Here's an attachment to a letter that I wrote my Dad showing what my costs were for my first semester taking 16 hours.  I lived at The University House only because during the summer of '67 my mother made her one and only trip to Denton so she could see the dorms.  No sooner had we walked in the door at West when a very large mouse ran across the hall right in front of her.  She turned on her heels and told Dad, "He's not staying here, so you better figure something else out."  Oh, that $48 stay at the hospital was for two weeks in November.  The big issue was the $75 phone bill.  But that's a story for another time.  Most jobs for HS and college kids paid $1.25 an hour.  By the time I got married (summer of 1970) I was working at Lincoln Park (at the beer gettin' place) for $2.00 an hour which was top dollar for the Denton area.

NTSU cost Fall 19670001 edited.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

I'm sure the increasing amount of admins (VP for this VP for that) and the belief that they all deserve higher pay had nothing to do with that.

Bloating the top of the administration has increased the money needed.

And GASP! they were mostly Boomers in the late 90s and early 2000s in these increasing positions. Kind of like the Boomer lawyers causing litigation and lobbying headaches in the 70s, 80s onward.

Reap what you sow, except we ain't got much to sow.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I found my receipt from one of my semesters and it was $117 for 13 hours (1979).  As I recall my books were more than tuition.  I remember we had a lot of out of state students in those days because it was cheaper to pay out of state tuition then it was to pay in-state tuition in the state in which they were from.   

Back in those days you could work full time all summer and go back to school and you could almost cover all your expenses. I live in a bad apartment in Cement City. I work full time and held a part-time job in the summers.  I always had a job during the school year working on campus.   I think minimum wage was around 1.65 an hour then.  Never had to take a student loan out, were they available back then?  

When I was living in New Mexico and when the state lottery came to the state and was supposed to cover tuition for the students.  They had to maintain a 2.5 gpa to continue on with it and had to go to college right out of high school.  UNM decided it was time for tuition increase when the lottery started.  

On a side note about free education, this is what I observed at the UNM campus.  Freshman classes were huge, and declined greatly the second semester and beyond.  Seems a lot of money was wasted on kids who just wanted to show up.  If free education is to past it might be saved for upperclassman.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

I'm sure the increasing amount of admins (VP for this VP for that) and the belief that they all deserve higher pay had nothing to do with that.

Bloating the top of the administration has increased the money needed.

And GASP! they were mostly Boomers in the late 90s and early 2000s in these increasing positions. Kind of like the Boomer lawyers causing litigation and lobbying headaches in the 70s, 80s onward.

Reap what you sow, except we ain't got much to sow.

This and new services provided to students today that weren't available previously.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2019 at 11:09 PM, Quoner said:

Hello. I just logged on from Scotland (after flying DFW to LHR to CPG to SVG to ABZ over the course of a few days, all without being weirdly detained), and I have questions:

1. Why are we "debating" the rise in costs?
  2. Why are we yelling at kids and setting up for an argument for no logical reason? Why is this a generational sticking point at all? Like some of the others, I got through with no debt and worked jobs, but also recognize I had family support and a much lower cost not that long ago.

More importantly, many questions for Kram:

1. Why are you still using paper passes? Why not use an app and be done with it?
  2. Did you use a travel agent?
  3. Are travel agents still a thing?
  4. If you are using a travel agent, can I book your next trip for a smaller commission?
  5. Why are you traveling with 20 somethings from Australia?
  6. Did you meet them before the trip?
  7. How did you small talk them?
  8. Are you staying in hostels? 
  9. If they took the interest in you, are you staying suspicious and safe for when the heel turn comes?
  10. Have they asked you to get what feels like an unusual amount of ice?
  11. Do you still have both kidneys?
  12. Do you think they are still good with money? I propose these Aussies are not good with money if they are buying you pints... unless the organ harvest theory is just too real and they will earn a huge return on this investment. 
  13. Do you think they will register for GMG.com?
  14. Putting aside a working knowledge of air travel and working most of my adult life in this industry, I will reduce my logistical questions to just one: How did you leave your luggage in Dallas with a Philly gate agent? 
  15. Will you share your favorites from the festival? Whisky is the fun choice here, but the gins here have been incredible. Monkey Tail 47, Hayman's and Silver Tail have been my favorites so far, and a lot of the Scottish tonics and infusions have been amazing too. You may also want to adopt the regional spelling of whisky to avoid embarrassment, although not sure if avoiding getting dunked on is a huge priority in general.

Have fun!

1.  Use both as AA agent gave us paper ones day of travel at DFW. Already had it on my phone. Both indicated same flight, seats, etc.

2.  No

3. Yes

4.  See #2 above

5.  20 and 30-somethings are fun

6.  No

7.  Easy..they are 20 and 30- somethings

8.  No and neither are they

9.  Yes

10. Not yet

11.  Yes

12.  Yes..they have paid or are paying or did not have student loans and have not as yet whined about their student loans. They enjoy buying me pints...as I enjoy buying them pints.

13.  Doubtful, but they did get a laugh or two when I showed them the thread about how Americans know more about Australian college and costs than they do...that got me a pint on them.

14. Didn’t. AA screwed it up in Dallas and did not get it on our flight to Philly.

15.  Harris Gin my favorite so far...from Harris Island. Amazing. Nope...will keep spelling it the American way..my friends know I am American...they get it and I am not trying to impress anyone. And, no infusions for me...don’t want to “sissy up” my gin. 

I always have a great time. Hope you do as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

So, Aussie college follow-up with a third Aussie (Sally) ... a college grad... biology...added to the mix. She agreed with the prior comments from her fellow Aussies. But also added that students loans are paid back through payroll deduction. You have a loan...you get a job...boom...payroll deduction. Payment based on income and can go up in amount as your salary increases. No job? No payment says Sally. She does have student loans by the way. 

I don’t know...but I am sticking with what the now-three Aussies have said. One currently working and saving for college. One with an MBA whose Dad paid for her bachelor’s degree (and took advantage of the govt supplied discount by paying up front each year) and where her company paid for her MBA. One with a bachelor’s degree with student loans who is currently repaying through payroll deduction. I think these Aussies know more than the American google warriors. But, hey, who knows?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

15 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

So, Aussie college follow-up with a third Aussie (Sally) ... a college grad... biology...added to the mix. She agreed with the prior comments from her fellow Aussies. But also added that students loans are paid back through payroll deduction. You have a loan...you get a job...boom...payroll deduction. Payment based on income and can go up in amount as your salary increases. No job? No payment says Sally. She does have student loans by the way. 

I don’t know...but I am sticking with what the now-three Aussies have said. One currently working and saving for college. One with an MBA whose Dad paid for her bachelor’s degree (and took advantage of the govt supplied discount by paying up front each year) and where her company paid for her MBA. One with a bachelor’s degree with student loans who is currently repaying through payroll deduction. I think these Aussies know more than the American google warriors. But, hey, who knows?  

But back to the original point of this post: How much have their tuition rates gone up and do they ride tasmanian devils to school

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

But back to the original point of this post: How much have their tuition rates gone up and do they ride tasmanian devils to school

Didn’t ask. 😂😂

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

1.  Use both as AA agent gave us paper ones day of travel at DFW. Already had it on my phone. Both indicated same flight, seats, etc.

2.  No

3. Yes

4.  See #2 above

5.  20 and 30-somethings are fun

6.  No

7.  Easy..they are 20 and 30- somethings

8.  No and neither are they

9.  Yes

10. Not yet

11.  Yes

12.  Yes..they have paid or are paying or did not have student loans and have not as yet whined about their student loans. They enjoy buying me pints...as I enjoy buying them pints.

13.  Doubtful, but they did get a laugh or two when I showed them the thread about how Americans know more about Australian college and costs than they do...that got me a pint on them.

14. Didn’t. AA screwed it up in Dallas and did not get it on our flight to Philly.

15.  Harris Gin my favorite so far...from Harris Island. Amazing. Nope...will keep spelling it the American way..my friends know I am American...they get it and I am not trying to impress anyone. And, no infusions for me...don’t want to “sissy up” my gin. 

I always have a great time. Hope you do as well.

Taking back part of 15. Am now “fully engaged” in the Ale and Gin Festival...even better for me as I don’t care for whiskey...and, now must admit that “sissying up” my Gin with some of the infusions they have in the fins (over 50 varieties...can I get to all of them in three days....and try some of the 40 plus ales) is pretty darn great. Especially when used with some of the local tonic waters! I may have found my happy place here in Plockton! 😂😂. Found a group of English Navy guys to “share” a bit of gin with to start the festival. Yes..20-30 something’s all right. Fun lads all..,I should correct that to say one is from Wales.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

On 5/16/2019 at 2:38 PM, GBarksdale said:

Also -- take advantage of 529 plans.  In Virginia we have a bunch of account options -- and some of them have really good rates of return.  It's not like you have to have a ton of disposable income to contribute.  Just a little here and there adds up over the years, especially the accounts that track the market. 

The rules vary by state, but generally they're a good way to cushion the blow of college costs.

That’s what we did for my first kid.  Got in while it was still guaranteed.  I’ll make his last installment payment this August.

My second kid has been earning her own way so far beginning at 14 years of age through a new program her high school started with the local junior college, and will be on scholarship again this next coming school year.  She wanted to go for an associates by her senior year in HS but we’re not going to let her pile herself under such a work load.  Regardless, the kid takes after her mother and works her ass off in the class room and it seems to be paying off so far?  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 5/29/2019 at 6:53 AM, FirefightnRick said:

That’s what we did for my first kid.  Got in while it was still guaranteed.  I’ll make his last installment payment this August.

My second kid has been earning her own way so far beginning at 14 years of age through a new program her high school started with the local junior college, and will be on scholarship again this next coming school year.  She wanted to go for an associates by her senior year in HS but we’re not going to let her pile herself under such a work load.  Regardless, the kid takes after her mother and works her ass off in the class room and it seems to be paying off so far?  

Rick

Nice parenting as well. Teaching one's children the value of money and the "costs" associated with decisions. So very many ways to "lower" the potential borrowing/loan amounts of a college education, but one must have guidance...which more often than not lacking.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Fair warning. While courses will easily transfer to UNT and apply towards degree requirements... based upon sequencing requirements and other factors, students will often have 3 or 4 years of coursework in their major to take to graduate.  However, as the student has completed all the basics, they may struggle in maintaining full time status.

Music Major? You are at UNT for 4 years. Art Major? 3-4 years. engineering... 3+ years... Now business, if a student is selective and uses https://registrar.unt.edu/transfer-guides to chose courses carefully, 2 year grad is likely... but you gotta be careful.

HS Dual credit provides the benefit of college credit, but courses are often selected due to HS degree requirements and not college degree requirements.  I always prefer to work with a student before they start at the CC, rather than have this conversation when they are transferring/starting at UNT. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2019 at 7:47 PM, Peacock said:

Fair warning. While courses will easily transfer to UNT and apply towards degree requirements... based upon sequencing requirements and other factors, students will often have 3 or 4 years of coursework in their major to take to graduate.  However, as the student has completed all the basics, they may struggle in maintaining full time status.

Music Major? You are at UNT for 4 years. Art Major? 3-4 years. engineering... 3+ years... Now business, if a student is selective and uses https://registrar.unt.edu/transfer-guides to chose courses carefully, 2 year grad is likely... but you gotta be careful.

HS Dual credit provides the benefit of college credit, but courses are often selected due to HS degree requirements and not college degree requirements.  I always prefer to work with a student before they start at the CC, rather than have this conversation when they are transferring/starting at UNT. 

Yes, luckily the wife,...in her 24th year now as a school counselor has been very selective in what she’s allowed either of our kids to take in HS.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Yes, luckily the wife,...in her 24th year now as a school counselor has been very selective in what she’s allowed either of our kids to take in HS.

Rick

What do you know...parenting. Well done.  Amazing what can be done if one focuses on the issue, starts early and actually talks to their kids about how this "college thing" is going to be paid for in the whole discussion. Counselors are pretty darn good at most high schools these days if you actually take the time to work with them.  You don't have to have a counselor for a wife or mom...but it doesn't hurt either. Ha!

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 7:10 AM, UNTLifer said:

My tuition during the 80’s was more than @SCREAMING EAGLE-66 but much less than today. I don’t recall anyone taking out student loans during that time. I do remember a three payment plan that I utilized and people applying for aid and grants. 

---Likely it was about the same considering minimum wage.... My yearly cost at UNT was about $1300-1500 and min wage was about $1.15 = 1400 hrs of work...   My sons cost in late 90's was about  $13,000 with a min wage of about $5.15 = 2500 hrs... but one worked in computer labs so brought the cost down some.  Things really got crazy after 2000 as the state has cut spending to education..... even for public schools which they once supported about 60% but now it is close to 30%.   Perry era was no friend to education...  I did not do frat but did live in College Inn (new, first year open) which was about $10- $15 more per month  than state dorms and really worth it . --- I knew of no one with a student loan ... exception --- a friend at Baylor law school. ( not as state place )

Cost is bad now ... BUT I absolutely oppose free education or tuition... I taught at a  community college (Midland ) which had free tuition for recent couty grads... it was not good ... people signed up for class .. then learned it was not HS 2.0 (easy) and quit coming since they had "no money on the table".. -- that did not last long. ..Students needd to have some money involved not free.... but the surrent cost is crazy .   .

Some students try to "live it up too much" and run up debt.... and ignore they will have to pay for it later... But that  is some, not all.  I am shocked how much many owe years later.  Fortunately my kids got out in mostly the late 90's and owed zero. They earned quite a bit especially when interns and I contributed quite a bit as well..  My wife earned every penny with no parental help, but lived at home two years, 1966 graduate... She graduated in 3 years.... She worked her tail off. -- I doubt that would be possible today. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/21/2019 at 4:37 PM, KRAM1 said:

Typical whine. Always someone else’s fault...always not fair. Responsibility is always for someone else. Got it!

By the way..just met a 19 year old from Australia that is on a two-month holiday from his job...yep two months...who has been working since age 14 and has saved enough from his paychecks to pay cash (about $10,000 Australian) for this two-month vacation and has two years of college paid for with additional savings. Kid is going to pay 100% of his own college expenses..debt free. So, tell me again why student loan debt is a must and why things are so different today! BS on this boomer garbage. Responsibility and proper planning know no age and is not “out of style” as you seem to think. Fun facts for kids.  

Now, Kram. You can't offer alternatives on this board or heaven forbid, a different opinion. You're an old fart who cant find his ass with both hands. You and Biden. Sheesh!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3