DRC: Ejiya, Guyton took long road to have chance to break UNT draft drought

Brett Vito

Im hopeful for Ejiya... I think he could be a late rounder.

I loved Guyton while he was here.  I do think, however, he left too soon. I think one more year of showcasing talent would have done him some good.

I do see why he left early though... Things were getting crowded at WR at UNT.  I imagine he thought this was his best chance to get drafted while his stock was relatively high. 

There are 3 draft worthy players on this team...Brooks, EJ, and Guyton. Kemon Hall has the talent to do something as well. All 4 have the talent to contribute to a team in 2019. The problem is that some teams might sit on these players and see if they can forego a draft pick and swoop in right after Rd 7 concludes in FA. There is no rhyme or reason as to why Zach Orr was not drafted. Size, speed, intangibles, acumen, football IQ, etc. was all there. I hate to say this, but he did not get drafted because he was a player at UNT. For there is no other explanation to it. 

Zach Orr 2013 - 109 tot, 13 tkl for loss, 3 sacks

EJ Ejiya 2018 - 121 tot, 25.5 t/l for loss, 9 sacks

Career stats are similar too. Orr 292 tot, 23 tkls for loss, 5 sacks - EJ 272 tot, 41 tkls for loss, 16 sacks (I don't believe EJ was a full time starter his first year here, whereas Orr was a full time starter for 3 years).  Stats are similar, and it can be argued that EJ has better instincts and a quicker first step to the ball. Or the argument could be made that EJ was a blitzing rush end on several occasions and it allowed him to compile those tkls for loss and sack stats. EJ is 6'2" 228 and ran a 4.77. Orr was 6' 230 coming out and ran a 4.73. For whatever reason Orr lives in UNT lore and EJ has sort of been an afterthought. Reason being is probably UNT in 2013 were where they were because of their D and Orr was the leader of that unit. With today's team they are where they are because of the O and Fine is the leader and the D is asked to hold the opponent under 30. If stats and ability transfer as they did for Orr, they should be EJ. There is no reason whatsoever he should not have his name called in the coming days. He has the size, intangibles, and the tape/stats. 

For the 4 draft hopefuls...According to more than 1 publication, 3 of them are projected inside the draft. Guyton projected in the 5/6 rd, EJ and Brooks projected in the 7th, with Kemon projected as a 7th rd/FA pick up. 

• Upvote 3