Inside the NFL’s newfound embrace of short quarterbacks - Washington Post

Greenrex

"For decision-makers, height has become a small consideration, less important than most other factors. Browns General Manager John Dorsey, who picked Mayfield, cited arm strength first when asked what short quarterbacks need to make teams believe in them. Then he listed intangibles that would apply to a quarterback of any height. “Are you truly a natural born leader?” Dorsey said. “Do guys gravitate toward you? Are you competitive?”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/04/09/doug-flutie-kyler-murray-inside-nfls-newfound-embrace-short-quarterbacks/?utm_term=.924063008be4&wpisrc=nl_headlines&wpmm=1

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Pls don't crush my hopes and dreams of back up quarterback Mason Fine leading the Dallas Cowboys to a 2021 super bowl victory after Dak goes down with an injury.

.dreams GIF

Well, then you better hope for perfect protection from the Cowboys OL. Because Mr. Fine is not as fast or as durable as Dak. 

18 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

If Mason doesn’t get his NFL shot I always thought he could be a home run in Canadian football. With his athleticism on their field and his heritage he could really be special. A few QBs have moved on to the NFL!  Enjoy this season! GMG 

He will make it or not make it based on the talent of his arm and the development of his brain making decisions. His athleticism is not going to carry him very far, because he's not really that athletic in comparison to what he will be up against in the NFL or even vs just straight line defenders tracking him down in college. He's not a statue by any means, but is not a burner. I would be surprised to see him run in the 4.6 range. Something around a 4.7/8 if I had to guess. And a probable well below average 3 cone time given his size. I also think his arm strength needs to get better. He sometimes puts his body into down field throws for it to just not be under thrown and in the NFL you don't have the time to body throw deep balls. Scouts will see that on tape. Great arm on short - intermediate throws; which is what the air raid system thrives under and it's a big contributing factor to his success while at UNT. I think he deserves a fair shake though. I think he still has room to bulk up. Notice how Baker Mayfield is a little pudgy around the edges...Mason needs that pudge. 185lb is all good and all considering where he was, but he needs to get up to that 205 range and he has 1 years time to do it for teams to take him serious. Something else that is at least worrisome is the lack of success air raid QBs have had in the NFL not named Patrick Mahomes. Good thing for these kind of QBs though, the NFL has started to take the defense is optional college approach. This might be too much real talk for the green-goggled googly eyes of UNT fans though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Well, then you better hope for perfect protection from the Cowboys OL. Because Mr. Fine is not as fast or as durable as Dak. 

Let me have my fantasy!

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I also think his arm strength needs to get better.

Go to youtube and watch some of the spring camp stuff if you can.  From an amateur's eye, Mason looks like he's putting more heat on it on all of his throws, but especially the down field ones. 

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

185lb is all good and all considering where he was, but he needs to get up to that 205 range and he has 1 years time to do it for teams to take him serious.

I can't remember where but I think I read at spring ball he was up to 195. 

Edited by peanuts104