Mean Green SB vs #12 okey dokey

I was just reading the CUSA rules on the tournament format.  Having a #1 or #2 seed is a huge advantage, in that those teams earn a double-bye that automatically puts them in double-elimination format, rather than single elimination. 

Right now, we’re tied with La. Tech for first in the West division with 14-4 records, but hold a 2-1 head-to-head record vs. them.  La. Tech plays #8 Louisiana today while we play #13 OSU.  We have two 3-game series left against UAB (5-12 conf. record, last in West division) and MTSU (9-8 conf. record, 3rd in East division).

La. Tech has two 3-game series left against Western Kentucky (15-3 conf. record, 1st place in East division) and Southern Miss (11-7 conf. record, 3rd place in West division).

Easy math if we win out, we take 1st in the West division and get at least the #2 seed.  However, La. Tech could help us get the #1 seed by beating WKU and possibly even push them into a 3 seed or lower, putting WKU in single elimination format. That last part probably won’t happen, but I’d be thrilled with the #1 seed. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

6-0 final.

We get one hit in the game against their #2 & 3 pitchers, the first of which had a 1.76 era.  We don’t hit top pitching on the road very well.

Now,...the girls will get back some time after midnight and have to travel to Birmingham a day and a half later. Hopefully we can rebound.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Okey dokey did okey dokey it seems. Look folks, in case you didn’t know it before the game, OSU is good. Could we have fared better if the game had been played in Denton? Probably. Would we have won? Probably not. But, these are the type of opponents we should be playing if we want to get even better. Would have loved to have played OSU in Denton...hopefully, next season. Folks, this program is getting better and better. The future is VERY bright for UNT Softball. Book that! 👍💚

• Ray 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 4

8 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Okey dokey did okey dokey it seems. Look folks, in case you didn’t know it before the game, OSU is good. Could we have fared better if the game had been played in Denton? Probably. Would we have won? Probably not. But, these are the type of opponents we should be playing if we want to get even better. Would have loved to have played OSU in Denton...hopefully, next season. Folks, this program is getting better and better. The future is VERY bright for UNT Softball. Book that! 👍💚

Maybe that’s why the title of the post has the #12 in it?  

Don’t get too hung up on #12 though as that all changes after May 3rd.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

BTW, for those who actually give two shits and follows softball...., Ok State’s pitcher Samantha Clakley, like a majority of the best college athletes in Oklahoma...is a Texas girl from Carthage High School and originally played for UTA.  

https://okstate.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6628

North Texas’ Jessica Elder and  Stacey Underwood outdueled Clakley to beat UTA in 2016 and 2017 before she transferred to okey dokey where she’s now pitching at an amazing sub 1.76 era clip.

She is a hell of a pitcher and will help take the pokes deep into the playoffs.  But she’s also an example of the talent we have available to bring here.  Though we had two pitchers that bested her she should have never chose UTA over North Texas for any other reason  than not wanting to play for our past train wreck of a coach, and I surely don’t blame her for that.  

I bring her up because I’ve always felt and claimed that due to our unique location, the fact we’re only one of three in the Dfw area and our resources and talent available we should be the next ULL in softball.  I know the Lovelace’s know this.  I just wish we could commit a little more of our resources to finish out the stadium with more amenities, a green belt in the outfield, covered seating..etc. The IPF across the street will certainly help.  But if we could give RD everything possible to keep the Texas talent flowing, considering what he’s already showed us he’ll bring us a championship and regular trips to regionals and possibly beyond.. 

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Nice.  My daughter told me we were #60 the other day, but I don't know what ranking she may have been referencing.  Pretty sure winning the CUSA tournament and getting the automatic bid is our only hope of making the field of 64.  Last night's loss didn't help our chances of securing an at large bid.

On a side note, I'll be in OKC for my daughter's softball tourney the same weekend as the WCWS.  It'd be awesome to be able to cheer on the Mean Green in the WCWS, but there's a long, hard road ahead for the that to occur.

• Upvote 1

On 4/25/2019 at 9:37 AM, FirefightnRick said:

I just wish we could commit a little more of our resources to finish out the stadium with more amenities, a green belt in the outfield, covered seating..etc. The IPF across the street will certainly help.  But if we could give RD everything possible to keep the Texas talent flowing, considering what he’s already showed us he’ll bring us a championship and regular trips to regionals and possibly beyond.. 

Rick

I'm all for this too.  The OU home game last season sold out (even though it got rained out).  The uncovered seating doesn't really bother me all that much since most of the season is played prior to the Texas heat, but covered seating would make for a nicer stadium. 

Also, I do love the home softball games being scheduled on the same day as the spring football game.  That didn't work out for this year, but has in year's past.  In watching some SEC softball on TV, I noticed most of their schools were doing the same.

I've mentioned this on here before, but I'll say it again here.  College softball is popular sport to watch on TV too, with the Women's College World Series ratings often surpassing the Men's CWS.  The 2017 17-inning championship game between Florida and OU was the highest rated program ESPN had that week:

1381367125_ScreenShot2019-04-26at10_44_48AM.png.decc88fe9b50516851aac663be445cb0.png

• Thanks 1