Bleacher Report Love

peanuts104

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2830789-ranking-the-top-10-seniors-heading-into-the-2019-college-football-season#slide0

Mason is #9 on their list of top 10 seniors headed into the 2019 season.  There's also some interesting speculation from the snapshot assessment style of the article:

"Long-Term Outlook: Since he's listed at 5'11", Fine will be subject to the classic "is he tall enough for the NFL?" conversation. But his efficiency―he completed nearly 64 percent of his passes over the past two seasons―and improved decision-making are definite draws. Fine should be drafted, though likely on Day 2 or later."

It should be noted that  D'Eriq King is #6.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Man having Mason has taken us places we had never been before.  Been a fun ride.  He will be missed.

Let's not forget that Cobbs was the national rushing champion and put on the cover of Dave Campbell's mag....a publication that I can't hold BR on the same level to...not yet anyways.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Let's not forget that Cobbs was the national rushing champion and put on the cover of Dave Campbell's mag....a publication that I can't hold BR on the same level to...not yet anyways.

And Jamario and Patrick were on the front page of USA Today.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Man having Mason has taken us places we had never been before.  Been a fun ride.  He will be missed.

Where has he taken us? Yes, we aren't 2015 Dan McCarney bad anymore, but your comment infers we're on a UCF-type run or something. Statistics are fun to watch. But stats don't create automatic W's, or win bowl games and conference championships. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 11
  • Downvote 3

37 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Where has he taken us? Yes, we aren't 2015 Dan McCarney bad anymore, but your comment infers we're on a UCF-type run or something. Statistics are fun to watch. But stats don't create automatic W's, or win bowl games and conference championships. 

Not sure how you got the UCF-type run connection from what he said...

I agree, Mason has helped put UNT more on the map than any other QB we have had.  Between him and the program Seth has built, I can say that we are no longer thought as a bottom dwelling FBS school.  For us, thats big.  Is it where we want to be? No way.  Do we still have some work to do to be a UCF, you bet... but because of Mason and company, we are closer to it than we ever have been before.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Edited by MrStrange18
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

Not sure how you got the UFC-type run connection from what he said...

I agree, Mason has helped put UNT more on the map than any other QB we have had.  Between him and the program Seth has built, I can say that we are no longer thought as a bottom dwelling FBS school.  For us, thats big.  Is it where we want to be? No way.  Do we still have some work to do to be a UFC, you bet... but because of Mason and company, we are closer to it than we ever have been before.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Mason has a LOT of work to do if he wants to take us to UFC level.

ufc.png

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Stats are literally w's.  Wins are the most meaningful stat.   The record (stats) also indicates that NT has the best team they have had in decades.  

You are implying that being the best QB in NT history is not an accomplishment equivalent to being a bench sitter on a championship team.  

Not sure where you pulled out any reference to UCF.  NT has not quite equaled the records of Alabama or Georgia either. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

Not sure how you got the UCF-type run connection from what he said...

I agree, Mason has helped put UNT more on the map than any other QB we have had.  Between him and the program Seth has built, I can say that we are no longer thought as a bottom dwelling FBS school.  For us, thats big.  Is it where we want to be? No way.  Do we still have some work to do to be a UCF, you bet... but because of Mason and company, we are closer to it than we ever have been before.

GO MEAN GREEN!

The whole, "..taken us to places we have never been before..." comment is where I pulled that. UNT has had success before. UNT has had players nationally publicized before. UNT has won bowl games before. UNT has won conference championships before. What UNT has not done before is have UCF/Boise success. I don't think we are closer to it than ever before either. If that'd be the case we wouldn't have to scratch and claw to pull out dubs vs the likes or UTSA, Rice, etc. and lose to poor teams such as ODU. Then get lambasted in the bowl game(s). Harry's comment just comes off as, "This is out high water mark. Thank you for carrying us here." Because last I checked...Dan freaking McCarney won 9 games AND a bowl. 

• Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Stats are literally w's.  Wins are the most meaningful stat.   The record (stats) also indicates that NT has the best team they have had in decades.  

You are implying that being the best QB in NT history is not an accomplishment equivalent to being a bench sitter on a championship team.  

Not sure where you pulled out any reference to UCF.  NT has not quite equaled the records of Alabama or Georgia either. 

Stats are NOT W's. When I think of stat filled football with decent season outcomes I first think of Texas Tech. Now,  I sort of think of Texas Tech and UNT.  If Harry is singling out Mason Fine's individual accomplishments then scoot over and let me help you kill this horse. But it reads as he is talking about the team accomplishments due to the phrase, 'taking us'. And no one is comparing UNT to Alabama. But why not hope to be the "Alabama" of CUSA in order to hopefully allow us to climb to a better platform in the coming years. 

• Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 4

Where would we be without MASON FINE? I don't know but I don't blame him for this teams failures the past couple of seasons. 

This coming season maybe the most interesting with new OC and other newby's. I just hope SL doesn't get distracted again toward the end of the season if he gets in the running for a new HC job.

On 4/23/2019 at 1:54 AM, peanuts104 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2830789-ranking-the-top-10-seniors-heading-into-the-2019-college-football-season#slide0

Mason is #9 on their list of top 10 seniors headed into the 2019 season.  There's also some interesting speculation from the snapshot assessment style of the article:

"Long-Term Outlook: Since he's listed at 5'11", Fine will be subject to the classic "is he tall enough for the NFL?" conversation. But his efficiency―he completed nearly 64 percent of his passes over the past two seasons―and improved decision-making are definite draws. Fine should be drafted, though likely on Day 2 or later."

It should be noted that  D'Eriq King is #6.

Very interesting to see them say he will be drafted. We always knew he had the skill and accuracy to be an NFL QB but I personally doubted many NFL teams would look past the measurables and he would be more of a post-draft camp invite. Guess it makes sense he would get a look given his consistency in college as one of the top QB's in the country.  

5 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Less than 2 decades ago, The Mean Green won 24 games in 3 years.  SL has 23 wins.

By all our eyes he is a HOF lock, but he really really really needs some championship hardware to separate himself from our past.

I liken his situation to Dan Marino.  Which isn't a bad thing, just a shame if he never wins any titles.

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

Less than 2 decades ago, The Mean Green won 24 games in 3 years.  SL has 23 wins.

By all our eyes he is a HOF lock, but he really really really needs some championship hardware to separate himself from our past.

I liken his situation to Dan Marino.  Which isn't a bad thing, just a shame if he never wins any titles.

I stand by my quote, the best teams in decades.  18-9 in last two years, with what should be another good year in 2019

You are referring I assume to DD's run in the Belt of 24-14 in 2002 to 2004.  Those were very good teams particularly on defense spawned by DD's one great recruiting class.  Winning the new Belt conference was a lot easier than present 14 team CUSA.  

Hopefully Fine gets that championship this year were he could join the likes of Steve Ramsey, Phil Shotland, Scott Hall and Andrew Smith as conference winning quarterbacks.  Only one Fry QB would pass your standard because NT played as an independent.

Teams win championships not QB's. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Ray 1

Winning the new Belt conference was a lot easier than present 14 team CUSA.  

I'm not convinced our current offense would beat that 2002 defense, nor stop Cobbs and Co..  Hard to say.  Any stance is really just conjecture, but maybe there are others on this board that can spell it out in more concrete ways.

My personal stance on all of this is 1) Fine is a HOF player BUT, 2) we desperately need to see another player in this system.  We have zero frame of reference to compare Mason to.  What if we continue to average 300+ passing yards/game for the next 3 QBs, and 2 or more of them win titles? Where does Fine's legacy stand after that?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I'm not convinced our current offense would beat that 2002 defense, nor stop Cobbs and Co..  Hard to say.  Any stance is really just conjecture, but maybe there are others on this board that can spell it out in more concrete ways.

My personal stance on all of this is 1) Fine is a HOF player BUT, 2) we desperately need to see another player in this system.  We have zero frame of reference to compare Mason to.  What if we continue to average 300+ passing yards/game for the next 3 QBs, and 2 or more of them win titles? Where does Fine's legacy stand after that?

Can you imagine Booger & Awasom feasting on this OL?  

I think people look back on Kingsbury as one-of, if not the best QBs in the long line of the Pirate’s run in Lubbock, even though Harrell has better #s.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Mason Fine’s impact on this program (and his legacy) is not about wins, hardware and championships. It’s about leadership, integrity, work ethic, team building...the list is endless. UNTalumni will for years be able to point to him and his accomplishments yet to come with pride in this university.  Mason’s future is much, much more important than football. I told you this before he got here.

• Upvote 2