How Bodie Reeder plans to build 'winning offense' at North Texas

MGNation92

Great article. 

In the back of his mind, Reeder has to know that succeeding in 2019 could have huge ramifications for his career.

“It meant a lot when [Littrell] hit me up because it’s almost like you’re getting on a train that’s moving real fast,” Reeder said.

Love this quote. 

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The driver can stall it out if he's not very good with a stick shift going uphill.   The machine is still built & powerful as ever.

Well that driver is Fine and I don’t think he failed to block on short yardage carries. 

The mere fact that a new approach is being adopted says to me that the problem was recognized and addressed by Reeder’s hiring. 

• Thanks 1

Using the automobile analogy, this is my  take.  Reeder was given a 200 mph race car with a great driver in Fine.  His job is to tweak the car to get another 10 to 20 mph.  I would call Reeder the mechanic and Fine the driver.

Either way:

Related image

• Upvote 1

Either way, analogies aside, our short yardage game needed to be reworked from the ground up and it sounds like he did that.  Using different personnel packages should help us.  If everything you do is 4 wide with one back or 5 wide, it's not hard for the defense to key in on what you were doing.  Harrell's, and largely air raid's, philosophy isn't to trick or disguise what you're going to run necessarily, but to out execute the opponent.  Getting more diverse with the formations and personnel should help keep the defense guessing. 

Another article had Fine mention that Reeder wants more pre-snap defense identification versus Harrell's progression based decision making.  This, theoretically, will be good for the evolution of Fine as a quarterback and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mason ends up calling his own plays to adjust for different defensive looks in this new version of the offense.  On paper, I am really excited about the Reeder hire.  We'll just have to see how it does on Saturdays.

• Upvote 1

Over the last nine games last year we scored over 31 points twice. With a quarterback like Fine, the way college football is today and a mediocre conference like CUSA, that isn't that good. Especially when our D gave up an average of 28 points a game during that stretch. Go look what Utah State averaged in the MWC, a conference most believe is better than CUSA. They scored over forty points seven out of their last ten games and many of those were over 50. I don't even know who the USU QB is and I live in Utah.

We averaged 28 points over the last nine games which is just about the NCAA average.  Not good when you have the best QB in the history of the program. I don't know if Harrell was the problem but I didn't watch this offense and think we were out scheming people. Reeder has to do better.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Using the automobile analogy, this is my  take.  Reeder was given a 200 mph race car with a great driver in Fine.  His job is to tweak the car to get another 10 to 20 mph.  I would call Reeder the mechanic and Fine the driver.

Either way:

Related image

If Reeder is the mechanic then it's his job to tinker with the fuel delivery system so as to make sure that his high performance vehicle doesn't develop (to use a term from my youth) vapor lock.

• Upvote 1

"A season ago, North Texas struggled to put away games. All three regular season losses came after blowing double-digit leads, and the inability to get conversions on 3rd-and-short didn’t help. Reeder wants to rebuild the short-yardage game from scratch."

THIS! This is the thing I look forward to seeing turned around!

• Upvote 3