Football Players and Track

UNTLifer

In years past we have had some of our football players run on the track team.  For instance, Johnny Quinn used the track team to increase his running technique and speed.  I know a couple of our   incoming recruits, Gaddie and Morris, are both sprinters and was curious if Littrell encouraged his players to also run track.  Jason Bean was a great high school sprinter, but being a QB, running track may not be the best thing for him to do, but other positions that may be different.  Just curious and also curious if other D1 programs have players that run track in the spring.  Anybody know?

Some impressive times this year:

Gaddie: 200 meters (21.40), high jump (6'2"), long jump (21'9").  Also runs the 4 x 100, 4 x 200 and 4 x 400 relays.

Morris: 100 meters (10.93), 200 meters (22.23), 400 meters (50.27).  Also runs the 4 x 100 relay.

D. Simpton: 200 meters (23.28), long jump (19'4.75").  Also runs the 4 x 100 and 4 x 200 relay.

K. Jackson: 100 meters (11.55)

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2019 at 9:09 AM, UNTLifer said:

In years past we have had some of our football players run on the track team.  For instance, Johnny Quinn used the track team to increase his running technique and speed.  I know a couple of our   incoming recruits, Gaddie and Morris, are both sprinters and was curious if Littrell encouraged his players to also run track.  Jason Bean was a great high school sprinter, but being a QB, running track may not be the best thing for him to do, but other positions that may be different.  Just curious and also curious if other D1 programs have players that run track in the spring.  Anybody know?

Gaddie: 200 meters (21.40), high jump (6'2"), long jump (21'9").  Also runs the 4 x 100, 4 x 200 and 4 x 400 relays.

Morris: 100 meters (10.93), 200 meters (22.23), 400 meters (50.27).  Also runs the 4 x 100 relay.

D. Simpton: 200 meters (23.28), long jump (19'4.75").  Also runs the 4 x 100 and 4 x 200 relay.

Cant imagine any of those being very competitive at the C-USA level, except maybe the 21.4 in the 200m. But thats just me guessing after working a HS district meet last week.

1 hour ago, grossman said:

Cant imagine any of those being very competitive at the C-USA level, except maybe the 21.4 in the 200m. But thats just me guessing after working a HS district meet last week.

Why imagine. Easy to google:

CUSA athlete of the week

Male Track – McKinely West, Southern Miss, Sr., Camilla, Georgia
West notched two first-place finishes at the Tiger Track Classic. The senior ran a 20.72 in the 200m, a time that ties for first in the league and holds the 17th spot in the nation. West also clocked in at 10.33 in the 100m. The time leads the conference and is ranked 30th in the country

and in March

Male Track – Jayon Woodard, Charlotte, Jr., Raleigh, North Carolina
Woodard notched two first-place finishes in the 100m and 200m. At the 49er Classic, the junior won the 100m in 10.51. The time ranks first in C-USA and 15th in the nation. He then won the 200m in a time of 20.95, good for first in the league and tied for fourth nationally. His 200m mark is the fifth-fastest in Charlotte history and his 100m mark is the seventh-fastest

3 hours ago, grossman said:

I agree.  Gaddie's numbers led to the question, so I then decided to see if other recent signed players were running HS track.  I saw a video of Gaddie's 21.4 in the 200 and it looked pretty effortless.  Kid is some kind of athlete.

On 4/12/2019 at 9:09 AM, UNTLifer said:

As a Track and Field guy, all of those times are mediocre at best. The 11.55 is ungodly slow. You would not even make it out of your high school district meet with that time. I ran faster than 23.28 as a freshman in high school so that is seriously slow. The 21.40 is your best time in this group and that would not even get you past the regionals in high school. At 100 meters, you need to be 10.4 or faster. At 200 meters, you need to be 21 flat or better. At 400 meters, you should be 47 high at least. The long jump should be at least 22'. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Those aren’t d1 college track times but for a football player they are very solid times. If you’re a skill kid and can run high 10s you’re good. If you’re running 11.55 and you’re an DE/LB most would take that any day of the week. It’s not ungodly slow for a football player.  For a D1 track kid: yes. 

• Upvote 1

Resident Expert asks this; are they football players running track or track athletes playing football?  

Unless they are freaks (Herschel Walker / Bo Jackson, NCAA sprint champions ) or a legit Olympic athlete (Michael Carter/ Bob Hayes),  track is not the best use of time to develop football "skills" nor vice versa.   Not saying that track skills don't help football or football training doesn't help with track. But which sport do you want to be the best in and how do you want to spend the time preparing to achieve success? 

Resident Expert participated in the State Track Meet three straight years. Never heard track mentioned the whole time he was at Denton.  

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 1