Possible Contract Extension for Littrell

meangreen2016

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

Maybe it will lead to UNT getting malzahn for cheap. It worked for La Tech and Holtz

Possibly, and I think it'd be awesome. I personally don't think it will happen, unfortunately. SEC head coaches usually decompress for a year or 2 after their firings. These SEC head coaches make truckloads of money, but they're constantly under high octane pressure and you can tell for many of them have burst blood vessels in their eyes and just look like dog shit. 

Arkansas:  Don't think it will happen this year, but this is the school that scares me the most regarding taking Littrell.  I watched a few minutes of their spring game on the SEC channel to see if Hicks was still moping around.  The announcers spent the entire time spouting off how great a coach Morris is and how he had orchestrated Clemson's rise as their OC and turned around smuT.  I really don't get it.  He was a very good OC at Clemson bringing in a system that has brought them great success, but he was mediocre at best while in Dallas.  I thought it was a reach hire by Arkansas, and my relatives that live up there, one a pretty big donor, aren't sold on him.  Littrell made an impression when we beat them last year and Fayetteville is close to home for SL.

Auburn: I think Malzahn is on his way out, but I don't see them going after Littrell.  That is all based on a gut feeling and nothing else, but I think they would go after someone like Lane Kiffin.  Auburn wants so badly to stay up there with Bama, and Malzahn hasn't done it and I think they will go fishing for a bigger name.  If they fire Malzahn and we lost SL, I am not on board with Gus.  I don't know why, but I have never really liked the man.

27 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Arkansas:  Don't think it will happen this year, but this is the school that scares me the most regarding taking Littrell.  I watched a few minutes of their spring game on the SEC channel to see if Hicks was still moping around.  The announcers spent the entire time spouting off how great a coach Morris is and how he had orchestrated Clemson's rise as their OC and turned around smuT.  I really don't get it.  He was a very good OC at Clemson bringing in a system that has brought them great success, but he was mediocre at best while in Dallas.  I thought it was a reach hire by Arkansas, and my relatives that live up there, one a pretty big donor, aren't sold on him.  Littrell made an impression when we beat them last year and Fayetteville is close to home for SL.

Auburn: I think Malzahn is on his way out, but I don't see them going after Littrell.  That is all based on a gut feeling and nothing else, but I think they would go after someone like Lane Kiffin.  Auburn wants so badly to stay up there with Bama, and Malzahn hasn't done it and I think they will go fishing for a bigger name.  If they fire Malzahn and we lost SL, I am not on board with Gus.  I don't know why, but I have never really liked the man.

SL is gone next off-season and Arkansas will not be an option. I see the potential there just as you do, but the timing isn't right. AU will not touch Kiffin IMO. And unfortunately, SL due to the all the up and comers being hired away is going to be the hot name on the chopping block. And AU and their fans are very aware of SL and what he's done in Denton. So he isn't going to be that name that is hired as sort of an unknown, unless you're a very causal CFB fan...Which those casual type fans don't really exist at a place like Auburn all that much. 

And this is all speculation on my part. But it makes sense and the timing will be right. SL just has to make sure he doesn't go 6-6 or worse. I think that would at least force Auburn to hesitate on SL, not on firing Malzahn. I suspect an interim to finish their season and more in-season coaching change conversations taking place at UNT...let's just hope our performance doesn't bottom out this time around. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3

15 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

SL is gone next off-season and Arkansas will not be an option. I see the potential there just as you do, but the timing isn't right. AU will not touch Kiffin IMO. And unfortunately, SL due to the all the up and comers being hired away is going to be the hot name on the chopping block. And AU and their fans are very aware of SL and what he's done in Denton. So he isn't going to be that name that is hired as sort of an unknown, unless you're a very causal CFB fan...Which those casual type fans don't really exist at a place like Auburn all that much. 

And this is all speculation on my part. But it makes sense and the timing will be right. SL just has to make sure he doesn't go 6-6 or worse. I think that would at least force Auburn to hesitate on SL, not on firing Malzahn. I suspect an interim to finish their season and more in-season coaching change conversations taking place at UNT...let's just hope our performance doesn't bottom out this time around. 

If Morris does not finish at least at 500 he will be gone this year. Alumni $upportets were pissed with the hire and last season was a total embarrassment. I Also believe Seth is high on their list. UNT could be a great final landing spot for Gus. With the success in BB the pressure just became greater.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Auburn makes zero sense to me for SL.  Arkansas makes a lot of sense and they have big money, probably bigger than Auburn, that can afford any buyout as well.  That is what scares me.  Morris needs to find a good OC job.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

If Seth goes to Arkansas I would take Chad Morris at UNT

danny devito no GIF

55 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Auburn makes zero sense to me for SL.  Arkansas makes a lot of sense and they have big money, probably bigger than Auburn, that can afford any buyout as well.  That is what scares me.  Morris needs to find a good OC job.

Chad Morris will be the head coach at Arkansas in 2020. The schedule sets up relatively nicely for them this year and I expect them to contend for a bowl. To your point,  the people of Arkansas were upset with him during the season and even with the hire, you're right. But he's doing a full rehaul and Yuracheck, given that Morris is his hire, is going to give him at least 3 years to makes strides. Also to note, Auburn makes more revenue in athletics than Arkansas every single year. I believe Arkansas is usually in the 10-12th range in the SEC and AU is almost always top 5. Auburn just completed a non-capital project donor campaign that raised 1.2 billion dollars. AU trumps Arkansas in just about every measurable facet from athletics to academics. Nonetheless, I see where you may see the Arkansas tie there and how he could go there and do well. And Arkansas has operating cash to blow. The are SEC after all, so they get that tie-in money. And I think they just blew around 12 million getting rid of Brett Bielema. But Morris is there until at least the end of 2020. And if you don't think that Fat Jimmy is going to be pulling strings to get one of his clients into the seat of a high profile job where he just lost a client then I'm not sure what to tell you. Jimmy has maneuvered himself into a very privy situation and it's another reason why SL to AU makes sense. 

• Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

danny devito no GIF

Chad Morris will be the head coach at Arkansas in 2020. The schedule sets up relatively nicely for them this year and I expect them to contend for a bowl. To your point,  the people of Arkansas were upset with him during the season and even with the hire, you're right. But he's doing a full rehaul and Yuracheck, given that Morris is his hire, is going to give him at least 3 years to makes strides. Also to note, Auburn makes more revenue in athletics than Arkansas every single year. I believe Arkansas is usually in the 10-12th range in the SEC and AU is almost always top 5. Auburn just completed a non-capital project donor campaign that raised 1.2 billion dollars. AU trumps Arkansas in just about every measurable facet from athletics to academics. Nonetheless, I see where you may see the Arkansas tie there and how he could go there and do well. And Arkansas has operating cash to blow. The are SEC after all, so they get that tie-in money. And I think they just blew around 12 million getting rid of Brett Bielema. But Morris is there until at least the end of 2020. And if you don't think that Fat Jimmy is going to be pulling strings to get one of his clients into the seat of a high profile job where he just lost a client then I'm not sure what to tell you. Jimmy has maneuvered himself into a very privy situation and it's another reason why SL to AU makes sense. 

I could care less about revenue.  I'm talking big money donors.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I could care less about revenue.  I'm talking big money donors.

17 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

danny devito no GIF

I guess that's all you took from that, but ^. To add...Of that 1.2 billion campaign, 633K donors donated, 55% as first time donors, and 207 donated over the 7 figure mark. I just pulled those figures. I was only aware of the 1.2B off hand. 

I would't call it unprecedented for a coach to be fired from a major sport at a major school based on results only after 2 years,  but it's very uncommon. It would also make the job very unattractive for many of coaches. We can agree to disagree, and that's fine. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Eye Roll 1

I follow and really don't disagree.  My original response was to your comment regarding one donor that could cut a check for the buyout of Malzahn, etc...  I think SL likes being close to home and Fayetteville is basically right across the border and the Piggies have Jerruh and WalMart money.

I was shocked listening to the announcers during the Arkansas game singing the praises of Morris.  I don't expect them to badmouth him, but to spend so much time talking about his "accomplishments" caught me off guard so I assume he is safe for a couple more years.  I think they are considering this a full rebuild after the Bilema failure.

4 hours ago, CK2 said:

UNT made the same mistake of extending McCarney before he really won anything. Smh

Yep and the two coaches are so similar they are almost twins. Moron. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Yep and the two coaches are so similar they are almost twins. Moron. 

Maybe one day, he will go away. But probably not. Trolling this board is the only thing worthwhile in his sad life. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, CK2 said:

UNT made the same mistake of extending McCarney before he really won anything. Smh

I actually agree somewhat. Extend the contract another year. Maybe even a tiny raise or better yet increase the bonus money for conference and bowl championships. But one could easily argue that last year was no step forward. If you want to give raises, give them to Reffert and Yellock. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 4/13/2019 at 10:37 AM, CK2 said:

Stop falling for same ol shit everytime. Lol it got so boring around here, I only come around every once in a while.

Go back to picking up the pieces Opie Applewhite left in his wake. I’m sure the Skullet will get it done. 🙄

Now run along child.