Possible Contract Extension for Littrell

meangreen2016

why extend? 9 win season great but team collapsed down the stretch again and got blasted in bowl game by a fellow P5 for the 2nd straight season. 

Sorry but all another year does is make buyout more expensive when SL goes looking again come November/December

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 7
  • Downvote 3

This is great to hear...

1. After a 2018 off-season that saw great staff retention, we've experienced a 2019 off-season with much turnover.  Once the dust settled, though, I think most feel there's reason to think the staff may be improved overall and the united front of Baker & Littrell is a huge reason those openings were appealing.
  2. We enjoyed an incredible and potentially transformative 2019 recruiting class.  Stack a similarly (or better) 2020 class behind them and the future of the program looks amazing.  An extension for Littrell will only bolster the recruiting pitch.
  • Upvote 5
  • Ray 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

17 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Good. Get the buyout so high it makes Fat Jimmy uncomfortable. 

To add, I think Litrell is gone after this year. And I have a decent idea of where he'll go. And that program can afford any buyout that gets attached to SL contract.  

Absolutely agree that he is gone after this year...

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

18 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Good. Get the buyout so high it makes Fat Jimmy uncomfortable. 

To add, I think Litrell is gone after this year. And I have a decent idea of where he'll go. And that program can afford any buyout that gets attached to SL contract.  

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Absolutely agree that he is gone after this year...

Just curious, at what record do you think he wouldn't be able to leave? Because this year's team could go 10-2 or 6-6. 

33 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Where?

I have no idea—Ben Gooding might know. But some P5 will come calling again. He’s been interested in Tennessee but got no interest back from them after applying. KSU had him if they had let him bring his coaches he wanted. I’d imagine the third time will be a charm. If I had to guess, a school like Ole Miss would fit the profile. Pay a shitload of money to him and let him rebuild their program back up again from where they were when Hugh Freeze got fired. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Last year the buyout def did not go up enough compared to the raise. given the collapse to seasons end, I get an extension, but I only get a raise if the buyout properly increases.

Also: his contract needs to finally be disassociated from the president and ADs presence. That last part sure feels like a conflict of interest problem.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 2

Auburn. Malzahn is all but gone. He's being allowed to stay another year so their entire administration aren't made complete fools out of, and his buyout gets knocked down down quite a bit after starting this year as HC. SL has and will continue to be brought up in mentioning on their fan fourm. AU faithful has fallen in love with offense and will continue to demand that brand of football. AU would offer a contract (and potential buyout) that will set his kids kids up for life. AU, for the most part, will let SL bring whoever he wants and there isn't another up and coming young coach. They've all been plucked outside of Huepel, if you're buying his stock. But he didn't create, he simply got in the nice and shiny car and kept driving. 

If I'm putting money down on his landing spot, my money is on AU. Close second is another year at UNT. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Auburn. Malzahn is all but gone. He's being allowed to stay another year so their entire administration aren't made complete fools out of, and his buyout gets knocked down down quite a bit after starting this year as HC. SL has and will continue to be brought up in mentioning on their fan fourm. AU faithful has fallen in love with offense and will continue to demand that brand of football. AU would offer a contract (and potential buyout) that will set his kids kids up for life. AU, for the most part, will let SL bring whoever he wants and there isn't another up and coming young coach. They've all been plucked outside of Huepel, if you're buying his stock. But he didn't create, he simply got in the nice and shiny car and kept driving. 

If I'm putting money down on his landing spot, my money is on AU. Close second is another year at UNT. 

UNT hires Malzahn? Arkansas would be perfect for Seth. He wouldn't be expected to win the SEC every year and would still be close to family.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

12 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

UNT hires Malzahn? AUBURN would be perfect for Seth. He wouldn't be expected to win the SEC every year and would still be close to family.

I was thinking the same exact thing. If Malzahn is fired and Seth is hired I would hope Wren would bring in Malzahn to UNT. The guy has never had a losing season.

*even though Malzahn Just signed 7 year 49 million dollar deal 2 years ago

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

UNT hires Malzahn? Arkansas would be perfect for Seth. He wouldn't be expected to win the SEC every year and would still be close to family.

I think UNT hiring Malzahn would be a home run hire. I have always thought of his offense as appearing to look like a typical G5 offense trying to manipulate the playbook to keep up with better players, even though his players are often times on par or better than his opponent. But his offense has tons of misdirections, motions, speed sweeps, reverses, quick throws, window dressing, etc. It's a very gimmicky system that works, but he also sprinkles in power running and heavy tempo when plays X, Y, and Z are hitting on all cylinders. With that said, I am not sure how his contract was written and how him taking a job immediately after his firing would play into what will be a massive buyout from AU. He may temporarily ride off into the sunset until that gravy train goes dry and then get back into football at a later time. If his contract was written very pro-coach like many of them are ignorantly written in today's game, then we could pick him up for cheap and he still get the majority of his allotted buyout paid to him over X years/months. Some people won't work for cheap regardless of their buyout. It's sticky in these kind of scenarios. And, of course, Fat Jimmy is Malzahns agent. So he will definitely jump through all open windows trying to pull as much money as possible from both institutions if Malzahn does take another position somewhere else.  

10 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I was thinking the same exact thing. If Malzahn is fired and Seth is hired I would hope Wren would bring in Malzahn to UNT. The guy has never had a losing season.

*even though Malzahn Just signed 7 year 49 million dollar deal 2 years ago

Yup. And he was literally on the brink of being let go this year. AU had an anonymous donor with checkbook out waiting on the administration to pull the trigger. This donor was asked to put his checkbook up due to the backlash of that kind of buyout. I think it drops down from 32 million to 25 million after the season starts. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yup. And he was literally on the brink of being let go this year. AU had an anonymous donor with checkbook out waiting on the administration to pull the trigger. This donor was asked to put his checkbook up due to the backlash of that kind of buyout. I think it drops down from 32 million to 25 million after the season starts. 

Maybe it will lead to UNT getting malzahn for cheap. It worked for La Tech and Holtz

• Upvote 1