DRC: Here's a way-too-early look at UNT's 2019 football scheule

Brett Vito

11 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I don't think UTSA should be a close game.  I might be wrong but I think they are going to be down even further than last season. The quarterback that frustrated us last season is gone. 

I thought the same when I read it. Their QB situation is up in the air and Frank Wilson is Frank Wilson.

My way too early prediction?  Undefeated. There isn’t a game on our schedule we should not win, not one.  Will we?  I don’t think so, but it is way too early so I will be way too optimistic. 

There isn’t a conference game we should not win. Cal worries me as does Houston. I really want to beat smuT and Houston, Cal would be icing on the cake and I expect us to sweep conference. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I'm debating with Vito on Twitter about this and I know some people may disagree, but to me, Houston is our biggest OOC game. 

-They are the marquee G5 program in the state and have been one of the best in the nation for a decade.

-Even though they're not the rival SMU is, they're still an in-state rival that we're trying to catch in terms of facilities and on-field success. 

-We directly compete against them for lots of recruits every season.

-The game itself is going to be a bigger event than the SMU game. Houston always brings a ton of fans and I can easily see this game being a sellout if both teams get off to a good start. 

I would agree.  Honestly, I get tired of the articles about our series with smuT and how they have dominated it over the years.  Since 1990, smuT leads the series 4-5, but I feel like we are passing them by as a program.  They keep throwing money at a losing proposition.  Dallas doesn't care about them and based upon their attendance, their students and local alumni don't either, but the money behind the program keeps them afloat so they have something to brag about.  They are a program on its deathbed.  

UH, on the other hand, is very similar to us as an institution and we are right behind them as a program.  The above is 100% accurate.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

23 hours ago, risinggreen said:

I like our schedule, and am optimistic about beating Berkeley. Some school in their conference pops up occasionally, but for the most part, I don't have much respect for their conference as far as big boys go. Hope to make that game.

Agreed. They did not look good at all last year; especially their snore fest Bowl Game,  and the PAC-12 as a whole has had a steep drop off from a few years ago. I like our chances. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2019 at 7:59 AM, UNTcrazy727 said:

I'm debating with Vito on Twitter about this and I know some people may disagree, but to me, Houston is our biggest OOC game. 

-They are the marquee G5 program in the state and have been one of the best in the nation for a decade.

-Even though they're not the rival SMU is, they're still an in-state rival that we're trying to catch in terms of facilities and on-field success. 

-We directly compete against them for lots of recruits every season.

-The game itself is going to be a bigger event than the SMU game. Houston always brings a ton of fans and I can easily see this game being a sellout if both teams get off to a good start. 

Agreed, it will also match up 2 of the top quarterbacks in the nation, by far the 2 best in G5.  Huge game, and I hope our defense will be ready because King is legit and in my opinion the most talented QB Littrell and co has had to face at UNT.

5 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

Agreed, it will also match up 2 of the top quarterbacks in the nation, by far the 2 best in G5.  Huge game, and I hope our defense will be ready because King is legit and in my opinion the most talented QB Littrell and co has had to face at UNT.

I think Jordan Love is better.   He anihilated us in the NM Bowl, so let’s just hope King doesn’t do the same.

• Upvote 2

On 4/9/2019 at 9:05 PM, untjim1995 said:

I see 7 or 8 wins.

Sure wins: ACU, Rice, UTEP

Probable wins: UTSA, Charlotte, UAB, MUTS 

Toss ups—SMU, USM

Probable Losses—Cal, UH, La Tech

I can get on board with a lot of this. I would probably put Charlotte in the sure win category, but I guess I would have put ODU in that category last year. But on the basis of both teams playing peak level football, I would put Charlotte in there. UTSA is always a hairy game. I wish we would just throttle them and get it over with. UAB and MTSU, both wildcards with a lot of moving unknowns and missing variables. Probably closer to the 'sure win' than 'probable', but I see credence in having them where you do. SMU is always a toss up. And traveling to USM is never easy. I truly believe, that if our offense can find momentum in your probable loss teams, we can legitimately compete in all three of those games. I think we owe LaTech a punch in the throat and that will be on our teams mind. We need to be competitive with UH just because it perceptionally needs to happen, and I think we can be. Cal is the complete wildcard. They looked pitiful in their bowl, and from a declining conference. But they beat both USC and Washington last year, the representatives in the Pac12 Champ game. Then got smoked by some pretty average Pac12 teams as well. Week 2 last year they beat Weber State 33-20. IF they take us lightly like they took Weber, I really, really like our chances. 

• 2 weeks later...

Why so many predicting loss to La Tech?  They should not have beaten NT last year and only finished 8-5 and 5-3 in conference.  They also lost 5 starters on defense and 4 on offense, much more than NT.  

In the oc, NT will be a significant underdog to Cal, should be favored over ACU and SMU and UH will be a toss-up.

CUSA doesn't have a clear cut leader, but a number of teams that should fight it out.  

I don't see why NT will not be better than last year.  Fine's last year and the offense should continue to dominate a lot of teams.  The defense will take some time to gel, but has the potential to be better than last year by conference play. 

My prediction is 10-2, only one loss in CUSA and NT will win the league.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Why so many predicting loss to La Tech?

Other than a crappy 1st season (2013) in C-USA (4-8), here are their records:

2014: 9-5

2015: 9-4

2016: 9-5

2017: 7-6

2018:  8-5

So from a historical perspective they have been pretty consistently good and also a thorn in our side.  Last year they basically ruined our undefeated season.  In 2014 they beat us badly in front of a huge home crowd early in the season, a year after us winning a bowl.  In 2015 they ran up the score on Chico 56-13.

Seems to me under Holtz they rarely have a down year and especially seem to play well against us.  They always do well in recruiting too.  Perhaps you are right — but that would make this season the exception to the rule.

Not to be a Debbie Downer here... but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from our bowl game.

USU was a good school and was motivated to win... but it seemed like we couldnt hold a candle to them.  Yes, I am well aware that Fine went down.

I am nervous about UH and Cal.  I just think there is a big drop from AAC and PAC12 talent to CUSA.  If we can beat SMU in Dallas, I will feel better.

Also, I want to see us start playing complete games and not just the first half of games...

I think we still have a shot at the CUSA title, but I am nervously optimistic. 

Let the down votes begin...

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, MrStrange18 said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer here... but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from our bowl game.

USU was a good school and was motivated to win... but it seemed like we couldnt hold a candle to them.  Yes, I am well aware that Fine went down.

I am nervous about UH and Cal.  I just think there is a big drop from AAC and PAC12 talent to CUSA.  If we can beat SMU in Dallas, I will feel better.

Also, I want to see us start playing complete games and not just the first half of games...

I think we still have a shot at the CUSA title, but I am nervously optimistic. 

Let the down votes begin...

I am cautiously pessimistic. 

I think our offense has a legitimate chance to improve, especially in short-yardage situations and in the second half. 

But my green-tinted glasses don’t extend to the defense. It would be crazy to assume we can easily replace 6 starters - 4 of which made an all-conference list. Add to that Rod Young, who SL called the most talented player on the team in 2016, and you have a lot to replace. I think they can be good, of course, but I think there will be some drop off, particularly early on. 

And don’t get me started on replacing an all-conference kicker. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/12/2019 at 3:54 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think Jordan Love is better.   He anihilated us in the NM Bowl, so let’s just hope King doesn’t do the same.

We also had no time to make adjustments because our offense was without our Team MVP.  I think when offense can stay on the field and let some adjustments be made or communicate the mistakes then the game is different.  But yes, here is to praying we contain King.  Also, King is better than Love.  That is all. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

We also had no time to make adjustments because our offense was without our Team MVP.  I think when offense can stay on the field and let some adjustments be made or communicate the mistakes then the game is different.  But yes, here is to praying we contain King.  Also, King is better than Love.  That is all. 

His feet are going to be better, but I don't know about his arm and pocket presence. 

Love had more yards & a higher completion% last year.  He also had fewer sacks (by a lot).   And Love was a Soph last year (VS King, a Jr) & didn't have the luxury of Briles' offense, which is going to be drastically different than Holgorsen's.

I guess we'll see.

PS.  I agree with Fine being taken out (coupled with Bussey, who was already out) turning that game into a blowout.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I am cautiously pessimistic. 

I think our offense has a legitimate chance to improve, especially in short-yardage situations and in the second half. 

But my green-tinted glasses don’t extend to the defense. It would be crazy to assume we can easily replace 6 starters - 4 of which made an all-conference list. Add to that Rod Young, who SL called the most talented player on the team in 2016, and you have a lot to replace. I think they can be good, of course, but I think there will be some drop off, particularly early on. 

And don’t get me started on replacing an all-conference kicker. 

Interesting to compare 2019 season to 2014, the year after the bowl win against UNLV in terms of personnel losses. 

Obviously we have Fine and most of the offense coming back when we lost DT at QB in 2014.

But I see some parallels in terms of key defensive players being lost on both squads.  Those are tough to overcome.