Team National Championships in the State of Texas

After seeing Texas Tech lose the National Championship last night, I got curious about the number of National Championships every Texas school has across varsity sports. Team sports only as some schools have various individual championships like Baylor with 39 in track. Here's what I found: 

UT: 46

UTEP: 21

University of Houston: 17

Texas A&M: 13

North Texas: 4

Baylor: 4 

SMU: 4

TCU: 4

Texas Tech: 4

Texas State: 2 (Div II)

Rice: 0

UTSA: 0

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

After seeing Texas Tech lose the National Championship last night, I got curious about the number of National Championships every Texas school has across varsity sports. Team sports only as some schools have various individual championships like Baylor with 39 in track. Here's what I found: 

UT: 46

UTEP: 21

University of Houston: 17

Texas A&M: 13

North Texas: 4

Baylor: 4 

SMU: 4

TCU: 4

Texas Tech: 4

Texas State: 2 (Div II)

Rice: 0

UTSA: 0

golf for all 4?

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

UTEP remains the only school in the state of Texas to claim an NCAA basketball championship.

Yeah. Glory Road, which they talked about a bit last night. They were also big in track and cross country more recently which is where the rest of their Natties came from. I got to text my father last night that his record for basketball is preserved since he is a UTEP grad

10 minutes ago, EAGLE83 said:

What about just team championships

that's what this post is about

Team sports only as some schools have various individual championships like Baylor with 39 in track. Here's what I found: 

In football, men’s hoops, women’s hoops, and baseball, these schools have national championships in the last 50 years:

Texas—football, baseball, and women’s hoops

Tech—women’s hoops

A&M—women’s hoops

Baylor—women’s hoops

UTEP—basketball

Rice—baseball

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

In football, men’s hoops, women’s hoops, and baseball, these schools have national championships in the last 50 years:

Texas—football, baseball, and women’s hoops

Tech—women’s hoops

A&M—women’s hoops

Baylor—women’s hoops

UTEP—basketball

Rice—baseball

UTEP's basketball championship was 53 years ago. Also, you are correct about Rice. I didn't see they won the baseball National Championship in 1993. 

6 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Yeah. Glory Road, which they talked about a bit last night. They were also big in track and cross country more recently which is where the rest of their Natties came from. I got to text my father last night that his record for basketball is preserved since he is a UTEP grad

Yeah, I was super torn last night.  One side of me wanted to root for a fellow Texas team.  The other part of me - the one that has a UTEP degree - wanted to remain the only champion.

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

Yeah, I was super torn last night.  One side of me wanted to root for a fellow Texas team.  The other part of me - the one that has a UTEP degree - wanted to remain the only champion.

Y'all are still top 10 in the nation for number of National Titles. Amazing. Naturally my father has the most bragging rights in the family but doesn't use it

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

I wouldn’t pull for Texas Tech to win a seed spitting contest.  Glad they lost.  

Second sorriest-behaving group of people I’ve ever experienced in my 33 years of traveling to college athletic events, and an embarrassment to the great state of Texas.

Rick

Agreed. My sister is a Tech grad and they are honestly some of the most pompous group of fans for no reason at all. It should also be noted that their National Championships include 1 Women's basketball title and 3 Cheerleading/ Pep Squad "National Championship" titles amongst some other rodeo, etc titles that the NCAA doesn't recognize. I was extremely happy to share this bit of information with her. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I wouldn’t pull for Texas Tech to win a seed spitting contest.  Glad they lost.  

Second sorriest-behaving group of people I’ve ever experienced in my 33 years of traveling to college athletic events, and an embarrassment to the great state of Texas.

Rick

Yep, their fans are the worst and it isn't even close, but in this case I am a fan of Coach Beard and the program he runs.  He is a class act and I had to pull for them to win.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I loved visiting Lubbock for a game!  Did it twice.  But this was when I was still in college.

It makes me wonder if the experience is different once you get 5+ years removed from that lifestyle.

I crashed at some unofficial greek home.  The tp was rolling off a chopped deer's hoof that was bolted into the side of the sink.  They had an TV/sound system setup that was probably worth more than the rest of the furniture/house combined.

46 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I loved visiting Lubbock for a game!  Did it twice.  But this was when I was still in college.

It makes me wonder if the experience is different once you get 5+ years removed from that lifestyle.

I crashed at some unofficial greek home.  The tp was rolling off a chopped deer's hoof that was bolted into the side of the sink.  They had an TV/sound system setup that was probably worth more than the rest of the furniture/house combined.

Tech is one of those you absolutely love it or absolutely hate it places. I went there briefly and absolutely hated it and that was after getting involved, joining a fraternity, etc. whereas my sister graduated from there and loved it as did most of my friends that went there. Personally, you couldn't pay me to live in Lubbock again.

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Yep, their fans are the worst and it isn't even close, but in this case I am a fan of Coach Beard and the program he runs.  He is a class act and I had to pull for them to win.

Well like I said..for me they rank 2nd,...behind Oklahoma.  Been to both places multiple times as a student and as an alumn and wouldn’t support either against China in a rock chunking contest.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

coached unlv for 19 days, until something better came along...what a class act...

• Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Well like I said..for me they rank 2nd,...behind Oklahoma.  Been to both places multiple times as a student and as an alumn and wouldn’t support either against China in a rock chunking contest.

Rick

In the last year of the old Big 12, before the original 4 left, a survey was held amongst the players to ask which fans were the best and worst in the conference in football. Not surprisingly, Nebraska finished as the best...and not surprisingly, by more than double that of second place Colorado, was our very own wasteland of manners and civility, Texas Tech. Worst fanbase I’ve ever been around. BTW, even though no one asked this question in the survey, it is still well known that the dumbest fanbase in America is Baylor—by a lot.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, THOR said:

coached unlv for 19 days, until something better came along...what a class act...

As @untjim1995 stated above, plus, if you were really wanting to be a success as a college basketball coach would you choose Tech over UNLV?  It was a family decision and one I certainly understand.

My comment about him being a class act was in reference to how he acted in defeat and how he has conducted himself in interviews throughout the year.

37 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Utep was a powerhouse in track and field back in the 70's .  Not sure how they are now.  I know when Texas Western won the national championship New Mexico State was in the top ten.  

They haven't won a team National Championship in a while but they still win a lot of individual National Championships in Track and Cross Country. A lot of their track athletes do also go on to compete in the Olympics because they recruit a lot from Islands and foreign countries. Watching the Olympics, a few times I have seen random runners from tiny islands that their alma mater is UTEP.