Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
Wag Tag

Buy in?

Recommended Posts

Can Houston buy their way into a P5? Holgerson $5m, Sampson $3m will this make the difference for realignment?

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Can Houston buy their way into a P5? Holgerson $5m, Sampson $3m will this make the difference for realignment?

Will they hold on to Sampson?  He is being called a front runner to both the Arkansas job in the SEC and the Orlando job in the NBA.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Can Houston buy their way into a P5? Holgerson $5m, Sampson $3m will this make the difference for realignment?

No

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

No

But I sure admire their determination to "better" themselves.

GO MEAN GREEN!

  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Can Houston buy their way into a P5? Holgerson $5m, Sampson $3m will this make the difference for realignment?

I don’t know if money can buy you in to p5.  The problem with Houston is they would immediately leap frog over numerous other p5s due to their location and money etc... so even if they would bring value to say the Big 12 there are going to be schools like Kansas State, West Virginia, Tech, OSU and Baylor that say HELL NO... even if it would be of benefit to the conference, because they know UH would immediately or I’m pretty short order pass them by....  even Texas doesn’t want Houston because they want to own The city of Houston for recruiting.

I guess their best bet might be PAC 12?

its very difficult to rise up to p5 from g5 if you are Houston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PAC-12 would be a hard sell I think for Houston. Everything hinges on the BIG XII breaking apart, which I know a lot of people say they will break up...but will they? 

  • Ray 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt it happens besides some G-5 schools the price of admission for some students is in the million dollar range.   Can you imagine what it will cost for Houston to get admissions (accepted) into the G-5 gang?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

PAC-12 would be a hard sell I think for Houston. Everything hinges on the BIG XII breaking apart, which I know a lot of people say they will break up...but will they? 

The Pac would benefit greatly from coming out this way, but they will wait on getting the best of the Big XII they want. I think the Texoma 4 will go that way eventually, but I can also see a Pac 18 that included the Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas public schools and that creates three divisions of 6, where you always play the 5 in your division, then 2 each in the other divisions. 

UH is stuck on the outside. They give it a hard try and have money, but their location, much like Cincinnati, just kills them. Everybody thinks they have that market covered by bigger state schools that are connected to the city. In Houston, Texas, A&M, and LSU like having control over that market. In DFW, its UT, A&M, Tech, OU, and OSU. Cincinnati has Ohio State and Kentucky that have strong ties to that city. 

As we have seen over the years, you can want to join these schools in a conference, but those power league schools rarely have any interest in adding you just because you want that.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess they were hoping the AAC was making the big step.....they won't. They ain't gotta enough money to buy their way in. Sandwiched between A&M and LSU they are in a similar position as NT.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AAC is a good conference. I think the private schools bring them down a little bit. Temple not really having their own facilities is an eyesore, and a few other blemishes here and there. But, overall, they're a good conference that has raised their level. They are a quasi P5 conference that sits at the apex of the G5 community. And their TV contracts state just that. They are night and day better than CUSA. AAC at its worse is better than CUSA at its best. It's the very sad reality that we are in right now. 

  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The AAC is a good conference. I think the private schools bring them down a little bit. Temple not really having their own facilities is an eyesore, and a few other blemishes here and there. But, overall, they're a good conference that has raised their level. They are a quasi P5 conference that sits at the apex of the G5 community. And their TV contracts state just that. They are night and day better than CUSA. AAC at its worse is better than CUSA at its best. It's the very sad reality that we are in right now. 

Absolutely agree here. CUSA is not good, but its all we got and its better than we have ever had in the last 40+ years. 

I really do get defeated at the reality of SMU being in the AAC, just as I did when they were in CUSA and we were in the SBC. I just cannot understand how the public schools in the AAC have bought into these small private schools in big cities being a good fit for them. You will never convince me that we don't deliver twice as much to a conference as SMU can--more eyeballs, more potential,etc...Really, I could say the same thing about USM or La Tech over Tulane or some big MAC school over Temple.

It is what it is. Nothing we can do about it anytime soon.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Absolutely agree here. CUSA is not good, but its all we got and its better than we have ever had in the last 40+ years. 

I really do get defeated at the reality of SMU being in the AAC, just as I did when they were in CUSA and we were in the SBC. I just cannot understand how the public schools in the AAC have bought into these small private schools in big cities being a good fit for them. You will never convince me that we don't deliver twice as much to a conference as SMU can--more eyeballs, more potential,etc...Really, I could say the same thing about USM or La Tech over Tulane or some big MAC school over Temple.

It is what it is. Nothing we can do about it anytime soon.

We can laugh at Thomas Dundon for losing 70 million dollars today. A little blessing in disguise for MGN. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...