NT Pro Day

97and03

36 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

For context, that would have tied for 3rd at the combine according to these results http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

Not to discredit our guys but rod Young short-armed a lot of those presses. Several would not have counted at the combine and the last one he got likely would have been stopped early as well. At the end of the day, all that matters is what the scouts think.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

38 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Not to discredit our guys but rod Young short-armed a lot of those presses. Several would not have counted at the combine and the last one he got likely would have been stopped early as well. At the end of the day, all that matters is what the scouts think.

I don't think we watched the same video.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I don't think we watched the same video.

To help you out, the presses where he fully straightens his elbows, the bar is right at the bottom of the spotters mean green logo. Before he gets tired, the spotter doesn't shift his stance or position so the level of the bar should always reach the bottom of the mean green logo on the shirt. You can count at least 5 or 6 reps where the bar is nowhere near the bottom of that mean green logo. You'll know because you clearly see the black shirt between the bar and the logo.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

I know there is a lot of “wow” factor to the measurables here.  The bench reps by Young are impressive, as is JG’s 40 time.

But these are NFL scouts and the number one question is “is this person an NFL caliber PLAYER?”  What does he look like when you turn the tape on and watch him actually play football?  By that standard, Ejiya is easily the most draftable player we have.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

This is why we can’t have nice things.

ok take 6 away from him and that ties Ed Oliver for 7th place. 

He got 28 not 38. Count them in the video. Take away 6 he got 22. Is this still impressive? Unless they posted a video that started after the first 10 which I don't know why they would. You don't start filming a 40 yard dash 2 seconds in. So again, is 22 a number you're showing off to scouts?

• Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

10 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

He got 28 not 38. Count them in the video. Take away 6 he got 22. Is this still impressive? Unless they posted a video that started after the first 10 which I don't know why they would. You don't start filming a 40 yard dash 2 seconds in. So again, is 22 a number you're showing off to scouts?

I’m no genius, but considering that the video starts as he is in motion, and the fact that it ends with the guy spotting him saying the words “38” I would assume that means 38 reps 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The video did not start at the beginning of his lifts.  I have worked in the health and wellness industry since 1992, part of that time being a certified trainer, and the only bad lift was the last one where the spotter assisted him in finishing.  I didn't watch the spotter's shirt, I watched Young's elbows.  He got them, plus with that many scouts there, they are going to get away with stretching his total by ten.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I’m no genius, but considering that the video starts as he is in motion,

I hadn't played it with sound but you're right. He does say 38 so I apologize for that. 32 would still be impressive but I wish we would be honest with the short armed reps. Like I said in an earlier post, all that matters is was the scouts think. The numbers are for the fans and "draft experts." The scouts know what they're looking for and what they saw at the pro day. Hopefully it's enough.

I think Guyton's 40 time will get him picked on the 7th or priority UFA. Haven't looked too closely at the other guys yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, GMG_Dallas said:

I watched the elbows first and it seemed obvious he short armed about 5. The shirt I looked at after.

The spotter adjusts his position about 3 seconds in and moves again later, so that is not a good measure of where he finished his lifts.

I just watched the video below and every one of these players uses poor lifting technique, poor arm position and bounce the bar off their chest to use momentum.  Without my "green Kool-Aid an green googles", Young's reps were better than any in the attached video.

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-combine%2F0ap2000000145097%2FNFL-Scouting-Combine-Linebacker-bench-press

• Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The spotter adjusts his position about 3 seconds in and moves again later, so that is not a good measure of where he finished his lifts.

I just watched the video below and every one of these players uses poor lifting technique, poor arm position and bounce the bar off their chest to use momentum.  Without my "green Kool-Aid an green googles", Young's reps were better than any in the attached video.

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-combine%2F0ap2000000145097%2FNFL-Scouting-Combine-Linebacker-bench-press

I think we should have "The Skipper" do an in-depth analysis 😱 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

On 3/31/2019 at 6:22 PM, keith said:

I think we will miss Mr. Young....A LOT.

I agree. He kind of took one for the team by moving around the line to fill holes. I hope he gets a shot, but I am afraid he is too light and short limbed to play DT/NG and not long enough to play on the outside. I hope I am wrong because he deserves a shot. Seems like a good young man. 

• 2 weeks later...