Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Walker

Green Brigade

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

So glad they didn’t do that game amongst themselves late in the game where they start playing and stop abruptly over and over.  Always made me feel like Nick was getting bored.  

Actually, they did do that early in the 4th. Just not as pronounced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really liked the halftime selection.  'Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor' is a Chuck Mangione classic well known in jazz.  I hadn't heard the Snarky Puppy tune the Dance Team performed to before but I liked the arrangement.  It looks like the GB is going back to the Music Dept's roots which I'm all for after years of tributes to Disney and Boy Bands.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Texas Stranger said:

I really liked the halftime selection.  'Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor' is a Chuck Mangione classic well known in jazz.  I hadn't heard the Snarky Puppy tune the Dance Team performed to before but I liked the arrangement.  It looks like the GB is going back to the Music Dept's roots which I'm all for after years of tributes to Disney and Boy Bands.

Agree.  Loved the selections!  The wife wasn’t impressed with the Disney tunes from last year. Can’t go wrong with Chuck Mangione!

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Texas Stranger said:

I really liked the halftime selection.  'Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor' is a Chuck Mangione classic well known in jazz.  I hadn't heard the Snarky Puppy tune the Dance Team performed to before but I liked the arrangement.  It looks like the GB is going back to the Music Dept's roots which I'm all for after years of tributes to Disney and Boy Bands.

Although they did play “I’ll Make a Man Out of You” from Disney’s Mulan while in the stands, which was kind of funny.  

 

(yes, I’m a parent of 3 kids.)

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Felozano said:

Agree.  Loved the selections!  The wife wasn’t impressed with the Disney tunes from last year. Can’t go wrong with Chuck Mangione!

Loved the Brigade on Saturday, great performance all day.

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Let me just say,...that was the best damn performance of music and marching of the GB I’ve seen in 35 years.  

433BE01E-96C2-436B-BAB1-6977EEE3C2D3.png.7f372d6f38f2e7e428f8933faeb916e8.png

If you appreciate the changes let Fessor Cook hear about it.

daniel.cook@unt.edu

 

Rick

....and while you are at it, send an e-mail to the head of the department (John Richmond) thanking him for hiring "Fessor Cook".

hn.richmond@unt.edu

17 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Hey Silver Eagle (or anyone):

More brass in this Green Brigade than ever?

👍👍

GMG!

Bigger sound from everyone in the band......but the brass are always the most noticeable. 

Bigger sound, more upbeat and uptempo, and much more actively engaged with the team and crowd. I believe they pretty much checked all the boxes for me. 

And something else. Whilst taking to me about his goals last week at practice (very nice and respectful to a crazy old man) he indicated that this is just the beginning. 

 

WELL DONE "FESSOR COOK".........AND THE GREEN BRIGADE.

  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually stayed in my seat and watched half-time for the first time in quite a few games.  I thought the GB was MUCH improved.  Their marching lines were much straighter and they sounded louder and seemed to have more enthusiasm.  Plus, they actually moved around a bit...yes, I realize that is difficult for such a large band.  But, all in all, a much improved half-time experience for me. I do hope that "it is just the beginning" of the return of the greatness that was once the Green Brigade.  Well done game 1 GB! 

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

I actually stayed in my seat and watched half-time for the first time in quite a few games.  I thought the GB was MUCH improved.  Their marching lines were much straighter and they sounded louder and seemed to have more enthusiasm.  Plus, they actually moved around a bit...yes, I realize that is difficult for such a large band.  But, all in all, a much improved half-time experience for me. I do hope that "it is just the beginning" of the return of the greatness that was once the Green Brigade.  Well done game 1 GB! 

Mark, their rendition of “America” gave me goose bumps; or was it “God Bless America?”

BEAT SMU!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is nice to read all the positive comments about the GB for a change. 

As an aside, we should note that one of the drum majors won the International Clarinet Association Young Artist Competition. This is pretty huge!

https://music.unt.edu/spotlights/besnik-abrashi-wins-first-prize-2019-international-clarinet-association-young-artist

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed PreGame!  You could tell the new director’s “Big 10” influence when GB played that UNT type of “fanfare” song.  All Big 10 bands and Norte Dame do the same kinda thing.  Something custom written just for UNT.  Impressive!

And holy crap, the fireworks when the team ran on?   Thought the place was gonna catch fire!!!! It was crazy and seemed to ijust never end.     Hope that’s the norm every game!

Edited by trud1966
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Mark, their rendition of “America” gave me goose bumps; or was it “God Bless America?”

BEAT SMU!

Me too. Had the hanky out after that one!

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we played at Texas a few years ago, it was cost-prohibitive to take the band. The Texas band showed a lot of sportsmanship and class by playing "Glory to the Green" as part of the pregame set. I wish the GB would do that for visiting teams.

On the other side of the coin, we had our band ready to play the alma mater at SMU in 2017, and the SMU coordinator never give us time for that.

BEAT SMU 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rws69 said:

When we played at Texas a few years ago, it was cost-prohibitive to take the band. The Texas band showed a lot of sportsmanship and class by playing "Glory to the Green" as part of the pregame set. I wish the GB would do that for visiting teams.

A&M played at Michigan several decades ago and did not bring their band. The Michigan band formed the outline of Texas with the ATM in the middle and enthusiastically played the Aggie fight song. It was pure greatness as a sign of respect between two incredible schools.

I would love for the Brigade to play the visitors Alma Mater pregame to the visitors section when they don't bring their band. It's a lot of music to learn, but it does make an impression on our guests.

(then we can scare the hell out of them with the cannon blast) 😉

 

  • Upvote 5
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 7:29 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Let me just say,...that was the best damn performance of music and marching of the GB I’ve seen in 35 years.  

433BE01E-96C2-436B-BAB1-6977EEE3C2D3.png.7f372d6f38f2e7e428f8933faeb916e8.png

If you appreciate the changes let Fessor Cook hear about it.

daniel.cook@unt.edu

 

Rick

Agree, l usually don’t pay much attention, but they got my attention Saturday! I like the chants the had.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ADLER said:

A&M played at Michigan several decades ago and did not bring their band. The Michigan band formed the outline of Texas with the ATM in the middle and enthusiastically played the Aggie fight song. It was pure greatness as a sign of respect between two incredible schools.

I would love for the Brigade to play the visitors Alma Mater pregame to the visitors section when they don't bring their band. It's a lot of music to learn, but it does make an impression on our guests.

(then we can scare the hell out of them with the cannon blast) 😉

 

The Green Brigade did this for an FCS team at Apogee that didn’t bring their band due to hurricane.  Apologies for not remembering the school.   Wasn’t that long ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

The Green Brigade did this for an FCS team at Apogee that didn’t bring their band due to hurricane.  Apologies for not remembering the school.   Wasn’t that long ago.  

That would have been Lamar. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ADLER said:

A&M played at Michigan several decades ago and did not bring their band. The Michigan band formed the outline of Texas with the ATM in the middle and enthusiastically played the Aggie fight song. It was pure greatness as a sign of respect between two incredible schools.

I would love for the Brigade to play the visitors Alma Mater pregame to the visitors section when they don't bring their band. It's a lot of music to learn, but it does make an impression on our guests.

(then we can scare the hell out of them with the cannon blast) 😉

 

In days of old, the marching band used to play the fight song of the visiting team as part of the pregame show. I still remember every MVC fight song by heart!

"...and now, a salute to the Wheat Shockers!"

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

In days of old, the marching band used to play the fight song of the visiting team as part of the pregame show. I still remember every MVC fight song by heart!

"...and now, a salute to the Wheat Shockers!"

I remember that as well.  I also remember that the Wichita State Band once came to our homecoming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a noticeable improvement, I'd note especially the song selection while in the stands, which was great. 

Remaining kind criticisms: 1) why no Texas, Our Texas; 2) I don't like the handholding with what to do next... i.e. "Now we will do the song thing. Now we will do the chant thing. Now we will do the stand-y thing." Seems too forced. 3) UNT needs more unique pieces, like Fanfare. A music school shouldn't be using the same band cheers as everyone else. 

Those are very, very small criticisms, though. Well done to all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.