Green Brigade

Here is a pretty good sample of the culture he's coming from and their on-field product. A story of homecoming.

Here is a pregame show sample:

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Here is his linked-in profile.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/daniel-cook-b1375612/

• Collegiate Band Directors' National Association
  • National Band Association
  • Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity
  • National Association for Music Education (MENC)
  • Florida Bandmasters Association
  • Florida Music Educators Association
  • Volusia County Organization of Music Educators

• Upvote 1

On the contrary, his DCI background almost guarantees another era of "corps style" marching. He is not the director of the Northwestern Marching Band, but a grad assistant.

Here is an example of his high school band on the field:

I must say I am very disappointed with the hire. I hope I am wrong.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

On the contrary, his DCI background almost guarantees another era of "corps style" marching. He is not the director of the Northwestern Marching Band, but a grad assistant.

That’s still gonna be what the Music Ed majors are learning, so likely what they’ll be implementing, but the cited complaints around ‘moseying‘ onto the field & whatnot should likely change.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

If this is an example of what he has planned here, then I agree with you totally. I don't dislike "corps style" per se. What I object to is a lack of energy and spirit in the performance. "Excellence" in the musical performance should go without saying. After all we are still North Texas.

Here is a sample of his undergrad roots at Georgia. From 2009. He was at Georgia from 2006-10, so he should have been part of this performance.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=2010+Georgia+Bulldog+Band+pregame+show&view=detail&mid=372BDF108C204327735D372BDF108C204327735D&FORM=VIRE

I vote for him instilling the spirit and pure enthusiasm of the Northwestern program. And it is my fondest hope that he brings back what used to be the pure musical superiority and excellence demonstrated by this version of the Green Brigade..... 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youttube+of+Green+Brigade+marching+band+"Malaguena"+1991&&view=detail&mid=6B129B43B0395415F3916B129B43B0395415F391&&FORM=VRDGAR

Their entrance sucked and their uni's sucked. But DAMN the core of their show kicked ass! Folks, this 1991 band was half the size of the bloated shuffling/sauntering monstrosity that has been taking up space at Apogee, and they produced twice the sound......quality sound. 

So to the soon-to-be  "Dr. of musical arts" I say Cook us up something that is equal parts of the Northwestern Band and the Green Brigade of 1991.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

After watching the NW band I have to wonder if our band is that good of shape because that band is moving.  I hope it will not be like the HS band shown.  

A good band is a big part of the college game day.

Do the UNT dancers seem to be in lower in members in the last couple of years? 

I think the band at the pit does a great job.

3 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

If this is an example of what he has planned here, then I agree with you totally. I don't dislike "corps style" per se. What I object to is a lack of energy and spirit in the performance. "Excellence" in the musical performance should go without saying. After all we are still North Texas.

I vote for him instilling the spirit and pure enthusiasm of the Northwestern program. And it is my fondest hope that he brings back what used to be the pure musical superiority and excellence demonstrated by this version of the Green Brigade..... 

Their entrance sucked and their uni's sucked. But DAMN the core of their show kicked ass! Folks, this 1991 band was half the size of the bloated shuffling/sauntering monstrosity that has been taking up space at Apogee, and they produced twice the sound......quality sound. 

So to the soon-to-be  "Dr. of musical arts" I say Cook us up something that is equal parts of the Northwestern Band and the Green Brigade of 1991.

THIS. Honestly the GB has been at the point for sometime now where it is too big to be effective with "corps style" drill writing. Music choice is always subjective, but drill design leaves a lot to be desired for the typical half-time show audience member. Competitive high school marching band (UIL & Bands of America) is big in TX, and many of those students want to attend a top Music Ed/Performance program like UNT, so I don't know if reducing the size of GB to make it more competitive and improve quality would be the something the College of Music would consider, as Music Ed students (wind/brass/percussion) are required to participate in GB.

I think the new director can bring a mix of the corps style marching we are accustomed to, as well as the show band style that our TX counterparts at TTU and UT perform. A solid pregame and halftime show will greatly enhance the game day experience! 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard (soon to be) Dr. Cook. 

I know that the many music purists look down their noses at marching bands but the energy and excitement many college bands bring to game day is in many cases as much a part of the game as the football team. 

My first wish is for an exciting marching band product on the field.  But my second hope is that some sort of solution can be made to correct what I think is an error as far as uniforms during the beginning of the football season.  I hate the khaki shorts and the poorly thought out t-shirts.  Isn't there something that could minimize the heat and still look sharp on the field ?  I hate the thought of using anything from Southern Meth but their white trousers are certainly cooler (I guess) than a full blown band uniform late in August.

GO MEAN GREEN 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:11 AM, UNTLifer said:

My requests from a non musician. 

1. No more shorts, etc...  Wear our uniform. 

2.  Be musically excellent. That is expected of the GB. 

3.  Create an entrance and march on to and off of the field. 

4. Stop bastardizing our Fight Song with the start and stop and different versions Williams loved to do. 

5.  Cut down on the number of times Fly Like an Eagle is played. 

6.  Get the crowd going. Remember that you are there to support our team and represent UNT. Make us all proud. 

Agree with all of your list with the possible exception of #1. I don't mind the band wearing khaki shorts and polo shirts with caps at a August-early September game, as long as they all match.  The Band has to sit in the stadium under direct light and I can't think of a more brutal situation. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Rudy said:

They can take the jackets and hats off while they are sitting in the stands.  Wear the uniform. 

That would be a great way to fire up the fans and start a new tradition. Get to their seating section, take their positions, and launch into this new addition to the music repertoire...

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Rudy said:

They can take the jackets and hats off while they are sitting in the stands.  Wear the uniform. 

that's what we did (95-97), but only for for the 3rd quarter could we take off our jackets.  

• 2 weeks later...