Green Brigade

4 hours ago, greenjoe said:

The drum line wore red high top Chuck Taylors if I remember correctly.

the drumline is so bad ass that they can wear whatever they want.  far and away the showcase of the band.  when i played in the green brigade, the A line only marched a game or two...wasn't worth their time and i agreed.

wish they would do their PASIC show at one game...would be awesome for the fans

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, THOR said:

the drumline is so bad ass that they can wear whatever they want.  far and away the showcase of the band.  when i played in the green brigade, the A line only marched a game or two...wasn't worth their time and i agreed.

wish they would do their PASIC show at one game...would be awesome for the fans

1. Am I to assume that you believe that, at some level, it's also not worth the GB's time to attend football games?

2. This statement of opinion on your part seems to contradict a statement that Dr. Williams made to me in an e-mail exchange a year or so ago. He said that the A-line always performed with the GB at football games.

3. I can't fully convey to you how annoyingly arrogant the above bolded statement is to me.  It only confirms most people's perception of the College of Music's attitude regarding sporting events, and their attitude toward what they perceive as the musically provincial student body and alumni base...…..AKA a bunch of musical rubes.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

10 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

1. Am I to assume that you believe that, at some level, it's also not worth the GB's time to attend football games?

2. This statement of opinion on your part seems to contradict a statement that Dr. Williams made to me in an e-mail exchange a year or so ago. He said that the A-line always performed with the GB at football games.

3. I can't fully convey to you how annoyingly arrogant the above bolded statement is to me.  It only confirms most people's perception of the College of Music's attitude regarding sporting events, and their attitude toward what they perceive as the musically provincial student body and alumni base...…..AKA a bunch of musical rubes.

1.  no, the green brigade is the marching band for the school.  there are no backups or substitutes, with the drum line, there were multiple lines. (95-97)

2.  maybe in his years as the head, that's what he did, but in my time, the A line did not march every game.  williams was in the band with me and my drum major.

edit:  if the A line always marches, how do the other lines get their marching band credit/requirement if they never march?  or has the squad shrunk in his years to just having 1 line?  when i say LINE, i just mean the bass/snares/quints...the pit are all the regular performers and perform every game

3.   the green brigade always marches and enjoys what they do...again...there are no backups for the markching band, but there are for the drumline, thus, the A never marched all games.  other lines had the opportunity to march and perform.

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

that's awesome to hear!

bad fan here, but i generally walk in right about kickoff (gotta finish my beers), but that's gonna change...stoked to see this new green brigade saturday.  thanks for this info silver

• Sad 1

Most of us are fans of our alma mater’s GB Marching band, but with a few tweaks or just a simple entrance like the one in this  video would do wonders.  It would definitely stir up the pre-game crowd & bring tears to many eyes.  (Well, maybe not that melodramatic).🙄

• UH & UNT it seems both have problems trying to fill up a stadium against lesser known opponents.  

MEMORIES. As a young kid & teen I loved going to the Astrodome for Coog football games & their Band Days.  One year they had 13,000 bandsmen (or persons) 🙄 at one of those with Skitch Henderson as a Guest Conductor.  Doc S.  took over Tonight Show after Skitch left.

I saw freshman Warren Mcvae’s first UH game & poor feller fumbled so much I lost count.  He got that corrected & became a UH star.  So many more memories of Rice & UH college football at an early age.

🔴❇️Would loved to have seen a game between UH & UNT in 1968–We had 2 future NFL #1 draft choices on the Mean Green DL. UH had a great team in 1968, too). 

Dammit! Love me some college football!  

GO MEAN GREEN!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Eye Roll 2

56 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I started watching around 9:30 and near as I could tell, they had already been there for over an hour. The practice/rehearsal did not end until 12:00. And by then, they had been practicing in the heat (that was exacerbated by the artificial turf)  for probably over four hours. And they did this without anything but the personal water containers that they carried in. There was no ice, no shade, and no large fans to help cool them off during breaks. And there was not one word of complaint from anyone. Not the Band members and not the staff.

Welcome to marching band.  Now go each lunch then we will see you at 1 PM for the remaining 7 hours of today’s practice.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I would say for the number of hours each Green Brigade member will work their tails off in any Fall semester & for “1” (one) measly credit hour it would be nice when the IPF is not scheduled for athletics that their group be told of its availability (if they need it). 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

On 5/24/2019 at 9:23 AM, SilverEagle said:

Rick Flair......well done. 

Here's an idea. If he is still alive we could put him in an outfit like this and make him a guest Drum Major for one of  the Green Brigade's performances this fall.

thWNZIW7LI.jpg

Now THATS what I'm talkin about!!

I have to give a HUGE shout out to the Green Brigade.  That entrance really amped up the crowd and then when acu gave us the Ball It was curtains for the purple. The first 15 minutes  including pregame was breathtaking.  Couldn’t even run out to grab a beer.

The GB sounded terrific.  The look was a 1000x better and I loved the more upbeat tunes.  They played the entire game and I heard new sounds. 

Overall they put on a show and there was strong coordination between the team, band and fans to creat that memorable opening. I have a reason to get into the stadium 30 minutes earlier.  The GB is realizing it’s showmanship potential and more importantly it’s connection to the average fan is outstanding. 

Thank you GB for listening to some of our feedback and for crushing it yesterday!

UNITE

GMG 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 2

1 hour ago, NM Green said:

I have to give a HUGE shout out to the Green Brigade.  That entrance really amped up the crowd and then when acu gave us the Ball It was curtains for the purple. The first 15 minutes  including pregame was breathtaking.  Couldn’t even run out to grab a beer.

The GB sounded terrific.  The look was a 1000x better and I loved the more upbeat tunes.  They played the entire game and I heard new sounds. 

Overall they put on a show and there was strong coordination between the team, band and fans to creat that memorable opening. I have a reason to get into the stadium 30 minutes earlier.  The GB is realizing it’s showmanship potential and more importantly it’s connection to the average fan is outstanding. 

Thank you GB for listening to some of our feedback and for crushing it yesterday!

UNITE

GMG 

I agree. The GB seemed more engaged throughout the entire game than in previous years, playing short little “somethings” on first downs or if ACU had a loss of yards, they played a quick little something. “God Bless America” was beautiful - I love that they outlined a map of the USA with Texas outlined.

Overall, they sounded LOUD last night. It was a different vibe in that stadium and they were a big contribution to that. The students showed great support for them as well, cheering them on loudly.

This might be an unpopular opinion ...I liked the halftime show, but didn’t love it. Pre-game was awesome though. Looking forward to seeing what they do the rest of the season! 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1