Column: North Texas is no longer a “stepping stone,” so why do coaches treat it like one?

Skipper

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Mr. Swan, 

UNT is a stepping stone until we can pay our HC a 4 million dollar salary while having a 2 million dollar assistant salary pool. Though your article is enriching and positive, specifically for The Daily, it still is seemingly shooting at a moving target. We, like about 80 other FBS programs, are stepping stones. Coaches have a competitive spirit. With that, comes an enlarged EGO. They THINK they are the wonderkind and can take their philosophy and have great success with it anywhere they go (no matter that the same philosophy is being used at about 80% of programs). Since the chips are stacked against us (and about [at least] 80-90 other FBS programs) it only affords them about 30 programs where they have a legitimate shot to really win a national title. They want that shot. And since we do not have a 6 million dollar salary pool for coaches at UNT, they move on because they also want that money. 

There you go. Assuming the "Skipper" would let reality get in the way of the information he posts. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

its worth noting that not one guy that left was it their first offer.

2 left to go home to alma maters

1 left after turning down multiple p5 offers. Still was hesitant even after recieving the million dollar plus  offer he eventually accepted

1 left to go back to his home state.

And all went to P5s

So it was not like these guys jumped at 1st train out of Denton

Yeah. I think he's confused on CB coach though. I believe he was let go and ended up at a lesser perceived program. 

But, to point it out because it needs to be pointed out, there is no need to reach around on this staff all the time. It's OK to be 100% objective regardless of whatever assistant to the assistant administrator you get your "inside" information from. I only state this because when so many people were so keen on NEVER pointing out deficiencies for so long, Dan McCarney, Tony Benford, Todd Dodge and Rick Villarreal happened. When absolute suckage is taking place, it needs to be pointed out from mountain tops; micro (game level) and macro (season to season and administrative level). 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah. I think he's confused on CB coach though. I believe he was let go and ended up at a lesser perceived program. 

But, to point it out because it needs to be pointed out, there is no need to reach around on this staff all the time. It's OK to be 100% objective regardless of whatever assistant to the assistant administrator you get your "inside" information from. I only state this because when so many people were so keen on NEVER pointing out deficiencies for so long, Dan McCarney, Tony Benford, Todd Dodge and Rick Villarreal happened. When absolute suckage is taking place, it needs to be pointed out from mountain tops; micro (game level) and macro (season to season and administrative level). 

say what chris rock GIF

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Because you are constantly sucking off this staff and administration regardless of what transpires. I tried to be slightly tactful. I hope this is clearer. 

This classy post and the one prior have nothing to do with each other.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Because you are constantly sucking off this staff and administration regardless of what transpires. I tried to be slightly tactful. I hope this is clearer. 

More clear** 

• Upvote 1

Gosh, I sure love when the “realists” jump into threads to add their special brand of perspective and try to bring us down to 🌍.  

Remember when the 2017 defense gave up a shit ton on points and some just KNEW that it was gonna be the same or worse in 2018?  Now, according to the same experts the 2019 defense will assuredly give up a bunch of points because of the irreplaceable starters that just graduated...

And now, if we believe in SL to bring in assistants who are equal or better to what was lost, we are fellating the staff.  

will smith bullshit GIF

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

NT is losing coaches to the P5's, that is exactly what a successful G5 program does.   It is a lot better than having to fire coaches because they are not up to the job or losing them to peer and below programs. 

NT is very fortunate to retain Littrell, so overall NT is doing fine in the annual coaching carousel. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Gosh, I sure love when the “realists” jump into threads to add their special brand of perspective and try to bring us down to 🌍.  

Remember when the 2017 defense gave up a shit ton on points and some just KNEW that it was gonna be the same or worse in 2018?  Now, according to the same experts the 2019 defense will assuredly give up a bunch of points because of the irreplaceable starters that just graduated...

And now, if we believe in SL to bring in assistants who are equal or better to what was lost, we are fellating the staff.  

will smith bullshit GIF

Don't you have someone's day to go ruin? 

And yes, I doubted the 2018 defense. What basis was there to point to it being average? And even then, it shit the bed when it mattered most...vs LaTech and USU. Let awful teams push the ball such as Rice, ODU and UTSA. Or was I dreaming? 

And JD strokes this staffs ego at any and all stops. All I was saying was tread lightly with that. It can turn slippery fast. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 4

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

And JD strokes this staffs ego at any and all stops. All I was saying was tread lightly with that. It can turn slippery fast. 

Where in the world did you come up with this?  His posts have been factually accurate regarding hirings, recruiting, etc... without gushing over anyone.  Show me one post where his "strokes this staff's ego".  

Sure it does. If you're too small minded to see that then that's on you. 

Small minded?  Because I called you out for your typical b.s.?  Please.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2