DRC: UNT Wednesday practice notes -- UNT playing without key linemen

Brett Vito

7 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Unfortunately way too much seems to be riding on the healthiness of Mr English’s foot. 

At this point I put it on the coaching staff if we don't have a contingency plan.

Rod Young and TJ are gone. English could be special but he's never going to play a meaningful down for us(Let's be realistic here). Who steps up? Novil is obviously a candidate, maybe Dayton LeBlanc? Still need a healthy 2 deep at arguably the most important position in a 3-3-5

• Upvote 2

I doubt the coaching staff is depending much on a healthy English, why would they?  

Also how could anyone possible know how the defense will do.   A lot were predicting how bad they were going to be this time last year.

I am optimistic I think the defense will be as good as or better than last year, by the time league play starts.    

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I doubt the coaching staff is depending much on a healthy English, why would they?  

Also how could anyone possible know how the defense will do.   A lot were predicting how bad they were going to be this time last year.

I am optimistic I think the defense will be as good as or better than last year, by the time league play starts.    

And what makes you think that? 

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The point is that we run a defense with a 3-man front and English is the only DT with the size traditionally needed for that position. I am sure the other candidates are solid or good players, but you can’t teach size. 

• Upvote 1

I am not sure as to why people think this D could be just as "good" or even better than last years defense. We are only losing our best defensive players on all three levels. We are replacing the best linemen with unproven players + Novil. All are smaller than what we lost and far less experienced. We are losing the best defensive playmaker on the D in EJ (not to mention his sidekick in Garner) and replacing him (them) with complete unknowns. We are losing half of our secondary and hoping to backfill with practical unknowns. Not sure how anyone can think this will stay status quo, defensively. I mean shit, I hope it does. I hope it gets better. But, there is 0 definitive evidence saying we will stay pat, let alone improve. If anything, there is evidence of a decline. DC just has to make sure it's not a substantial one. We can be 2017 bad on defense if we're 2017 good on offense. I don't prefer this approach, but recruiting tendencies sort of point to this direction. Only time will tell. 

• Upvote 1

Here what I base my optimism on.   

The defense last year was also a big question, so why can't this year turn out better than most expect again after another year running the same basic defense.  There should be more talent coming in this freshmen class than in ages. 

I don't get all this talk of unknowns.  The secondary has proven players returning as does the linebacker position.  The linebacker position will need freshmen to come through early, but that is a strength of the freshmen class.  NT returns a couple of players who started at linebacker in King and Ozougwu.  NT lost a couple of very good linebackers, but in this defense; linebackers are going to get great tackle stats.

All the concern seems to be the defensive line who returns first team all conference Hamilton as well as Novil.  NT loses starters Young and Tauaalo both good players but replaceable.  Nether had even honorable mention all conference mention.  Candidates for the dl line include Colvin, McMillan, English and Saafi as well as redshirts Shaw and Leblanc.   Obviously, the rotation is going to have to have at least of couple of these players to substantially up their game. 

In summary, I believe that the secondary will be equal to the 2018 version.  Linebackers may not have the star power, but will be much deeper.  Unlike apparently most,  I think the dl could be better led by Novel and Hamilton.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Here what I base my optimism on.   

The defense last year was also a big question, so why can't this year turn out better than most expect again after another year running the same basic defense.  There should be more talent coming in this freshmen class than in ages. 

I don't get all this talk of unknowns.  The secondary has proven players returning as does the linebacker position.  The linebacker position will need freshmen to come through early, but that is a strength of the freshmen class.  NT returns a couple of players who started at linebacker in King and Ozougwu.  NT lost a couple of very good linebackers, but in this defense; linebackers are going to get great tackle stats.

All the concern seems to be the defensive line who returns first team all conference Hamilton as well as Novil.  NT loses starters Young and Tauaalo both good players but replaceable.  Nether had even honorable mention all conference mention.  Candidates for the dl line include Colvin, McMillan, English and Saafi as well as redshirts Shaw and Leblanc.   Obviously, the rotation is going to have to have at least of couple of these players to substantially up their game. 

In summary, I believe that the secondary will be equal to the 2018 version.  Linebackers may not have the star power, but will be much deeper.  Unlike apparently most,  I think the dl could be better led by Novel and Hamilton.  

Outside of Hamilton, most of those players were fillers. These year, that role will be lifted and they will be counted on to make significant contributions in key moments during key games. We do not know if they have the physical capability to do so because we haven't really seen it yet. I understand all of your points, but there's a lot of assuming in there. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove

9 minutes ago, greenminer said:

The only thing that gives me defensive optimism is that Breeder sounds like he is better at converting 3rd downs than GH.

Our defense is going to be gassed either way.

If you look at EWU offensive stats from last year they were 4th in points scored at 43.1 points/game and 117th in TOP at 27 minutes a game.

For relative comparison, 2014 Baylor was 1st in the NCAA in scoring at 52.4 points/game and 112th  in TOP at 27 minutes a game.

If our offense looks anything similar this year, we're gonna score, and score FAST

Edited by MGNation92

43 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Our defense is going to be gassed either way.

If you look at EWU offensive stats from last year they were 4th in points scored at 43.1 points/game and 117th in TOP at 27 minutes a game.

For relative comparison, 2014 Baylor was 1st in the NCAA in scoring at 52.4 points/game and 112th  in TOP at 27 minutes a game.

If our offense looks anything similar this year, we're gonna score, and score FAST

I think SL will keep his stamp on the offense. 

You think Graham Harrell wanted a 50/50 run/pass split?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Outside of Hamilton, most of those players were fillers. These year, that role will be lifted and they will be counted on to make significant contributions in key moments during key games. We do not know if they have the physical capability to do so because we haven't really seen it yet. I understand all of your points, but there's a lot of assuming in there. 

There are a lot of assumptions in both arguments.  You can assume that players don't get better with experience or that better players are  not recruited.    I am not sure what a filler is.   If you mean non-starter than every player begins their career's there.   

I look at the pending defense and see a lot of potential and a lot of players that were actually good last year.  Will there be another Ejiya level player emerge, this year?  Probably not, but overall NT is in a lot better shape on defense than thought last year.  

NT had a middle of CUSA type of defense last year, and I really believe that will be the same this year. 

• Upvote 1