Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
Brett Vito

DRC: Report -- AAC lands $1 billion media rights deal from ESPN

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Tulsa! I mean Tulsa! Their coaches just took pay cuts. Could we replace them in the AAC?

Five letters

S M U N O

  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Why does the MWC need the Texas markets and their exposure? They seem to do be doing just fine without it.

You don’t think TV networks would t like access to Texas markets? That alone would increase the payouts they all get IF the networks feel there is value. Right now, TCU, Baylor, and UH would give them that value. I’d love to believe we would too, but I am not such a homer to also ignore the fact that most of the country looks at us as a directional school in the lower g5s. More big wins like we got against Arkansas would really help, but so would not getting murdered in bowl games.

  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look at the F_Us as counterpoint: they want to be in a conference with Texas markets and they have it.  How is it benefiting them? I don't see them ever sustaining success.

I also think - aside from a failing commish - that CUSA being so spread out is one of the main reasons the conference struggles so much.

I also worry that switching to the MWC would equate to spending 9 out of 10 years on the outside of championship games/tier 1 bowls looking in.  On top of that, we'd lose our regional foes, and the away games would mean terrible start times for those in Central Time.  In a way, I can see MWC foes looking at us as we currently view the F_Us.

  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

You don’t think TV networks would t like access to Texas markets? That alone would increase the payouts they all get IF the networks feel there is value. Right now, TCU, Baylor, and UH would give them that value. I’d love to believe we would too, but I am not such a homer to also ignore the fact that most of the country looks at us as a directional school in the lower g5s. More big wins like we got against Arkansas would really help, but so would not getting murdered in bowl games.

There is this idea that adding G5 programs from Texas is going to enrich the MWC where adding them will somehow result in the multimedia disbursements increasing per MWC member institution. Chances are that won't happen. In fact, I'd expect the multimedia disbursements to decrease per institution if they added more G5 programs from anywhere as I don't think there is a G5 program that could deliver a large enough share of any market to result in a net increase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

You don’t think TV networks would t like access to Texas markets? That alone would increase the payouts they all get IF the networks feel there is value. Right now, TCU, Baylor, and UH would give them that value. I’d love to believe we would too, but I am not such a homer to also ignore the fact that most of the country looks at us as a directional school in the lower g5s. More big wins like we got against Arkansas would really help, but so would not getting murdered in bowl games.

I think the TV market argument is losing strength.  Because of the shift to streaming services, the decline of cable, and the stronghold the P5s have on everything.

How is the Texas market boosting the F_Us? I don't see them ever sustaining success.  So why would I be interested in stretching ourselves westward, and becoming someone else's F_U?

This is endless and pointless.  The CUSA ceiling right now is so much lower than the MWC, so IMO we're talking about sitting where we are at, contending for titles in a much smaller house...versus moving to the MWC and associating with bigger homes but not win any titles 9 out of 10 years.  Not claim any sustained success.  Plus we'd lose our regional foes.  Plus away games would have horrible start times.

The G5 landscape just sucks in general.  Thanks P5s.  Thanks Judy MacLeod

  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad we couldn't hire a commissioner who knew what they were doing. It was more important to make a splash hire. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Too bad we couldn't hire a commissioner who knew what they were doing. It was more important to make a splash hire. 

I think Judy McLeod isn’t a good commissioner, but she’s not gonna make any networks want to pay up for the teams we have in this league anymore than the SBC commissioner could do. Look, if you’re in CUSA today, it’s because you wanted out of the Belt or you couldn’t leave because you deliver nothing market wise or as a program. It’s just what it is, unfortunately, for us.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If only there was a sport that was played through spring and summer that we could all talk about after basketball season was over.... I wonder if such a sport exists? 🤔

  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Look, if you’re in CUSA today, it’s because you wanted out of the Belt or you couldn’t leave because you deliver nothing market wise or as a program. It’s just what it is, unfortunately, for us.

...or you wanted to join/follow the path of TCU/Memphis/Houston...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

If only there was a sport that was played through spring and summer that we could all talk about after basketball season was over.... I wonder if such a sport exists? 🤔

I believe you’re looking for the kick-ass team over at Lovelace Stadium!

  • Upvote 4
  • Like 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get all this complaining about CUSA, it is not like NT dominates.   It is too spread out but so are most of the conferences these days.  Joining the MWC would sure be a lot worse from a travel standpoint.  Unless you dream they are gong to set up a Eastern Division.

Some of you remember the Big West days and that was pretty much a disaster.   TCU went West and came back quickly, but they were a much more established program than NT is now.  

As far as the AAC, NT offers more than a lot of teams in that league.  Problem is that teams like SMU, Tulsa and Tulane got there first.  

I do believe that getting offers from any step up conference is a very long shot as is this hope that the Big Twelve is going to somehow explode.  May happen, but certainly not something to base any plans on.  

CUSA is not a bad group of programs and most have a very good upside.  I would like to get a new commissioner, not because I know that Maclead is not doing a good job.  I just would like to see what fresh leadership not associated with the old Banowsky regime could accomplish.   

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

CUSA is not a bad group of programs and most have a very good upside.  I would like to get a new commissioner, not because I know that Maclead is not doing a good job.  I just would like to see what fresh leadership not associated with the old Banowsky regime could accomplish.   

This! 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2019 at 11:02 AM, RiseUNT said:

Five letters

S M U N O

I see this come up often....

SMU has no leverage. Why would they have any say on our conference affiliation. They haven't had any influence since 1982.

I'm not saying we're headed for the AAC, but it's got nothing to do with SMU. If they disappeared from the AAC...no one would care.

and I'm not talking trash about SMU (there will be plenty of time for that) but it's just an objective fact....

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I see this come up often....

SMU has no leverage. Why would they have any say on our conference affiliation. They haven't had any influence since 1982.

I'm not saying we're headed for the AAC, but it's got nothing to do with SMU. If they disappeared from the AAC...no one would care.

and I'm not talking trash about SMU (there will be plenty of time for that) but it's just an objective fact....

True on SMU, but no conference is going to overlap TV markets anytime soon. We are never going to be in a conference with SMU unless the Upper G5’s recognize cost is bigger than revenues at our level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't get all this complaining about CUSA, it is not like NT dominates.   It is too spread out but so are most of the conferences these days.  Joining the MWC would sure be a lot worse from a travel standpoint.  Unless you dream they are gong to set up a Eastern Division.

Some of you remember the Big West days and that was pretty much a disaster.   TCU went West and came back quickly, but they were a much more established program than NT is now.  

As far as the AAC, NT offers more than a lot of teams in that league.  Problem is that teams like SMU, Tulsa and Tulane got there first.  

I do believe that getting offers from any step up conference is a very long shot as is this hope that the Big Twelve is going to somehow explode.  May happen, but certainly not something to base any plans on.  

CUSA is not a bad group of programs and most have a very good upside.  I would like to get a new commissioner, not because I know that Maclead is not doing a good job.  I just would like to see what fresh leadership not associated with the old Banowsky regime could accomplish.   

It’s not even possible for me to disagree more than I do with this post.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't get all this complaining about CUSA, it is not like NT dominates.   It is too spread out but so are most of the conferences these days.  Joining the MWC would sure be a lot worse from a travel standpoint.  Unless you dream they are gong to set up a Eastern Division.

Some of you remember the Big West days and that was pretty much a disaster.   TCU went West and came back quickly, but they were a much more established program than NT is now.  

As far as the AAC, NT offers more than a lot of teams in that league.  Problem is that teams like SMU, Tulsa and Tulane got there first.  

I do believe that getting offers from any step up conference is a very long shot as is this hope that the Big Twelve is going to somehow explode.  May happen, but certainly not something to base any plans on.  

CUSA is not a bad group of programs and most have a very good upside.  I would like to get a new commissioner, not because I know that Maclead is not doing a good job.  I just would like to see what fresh leadership not associated with the old Banowsky regime could accomplish.   

frustrated the wire GIF

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I see this come up often....

SMU has no leverage. Why would they have any say on our conference affiliation. They haven't had any influence since 1982.

I'm not saying we're headed for the AAC, but it's got nothing to do with SMU. If they disappeared from the AAC...no one would care.

and I'm not talking trash about SMU (there will be plenty of time for that) but it's just an objective fact....

It has everything to do with SMU. We bring 0 to a conference with SMU in it. 

A conference is a group of schools that work together to compete together. Adding UNT will take the conference (group of schools) to agree. So saying SMU has no say in us joining the AAC is ridiculous. Add on all the back room politics and money they have to throw around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

It has everything to do with SMU. We bring 0 to a conference with SMU in it. 

A conference is a group of schools that work together to compete together. Adding UNT will take the conference (group of schools) to agree. So saying SMU has no say in us joining the AAC is ridiculous. Add on all the back room politics and money they have to throw around.

good point GIF by Geek & Sundry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason SMUt is a barrier is because we bring nothing to the conference if there is another team in the market, not bc of some Pony conspiracy.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

It has everything to do with SMU. We bring 0 to a conference with SMU in it. 

A conference is a group of schools that work together to compete together. Adding UNT will take the conference (group of schools) to agree. So saying SMU has no say in us joining the AAC is ridiculous. Add on all the back room politics and money they have to throw around.

SMU has some weight to throw around, but they aren’t acting against us. Or for us. I don’t think they care about us. If anything, they just want to get their shit together and beat us on the field.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...