DRC: Report -- AAC lands $1 billion media rights deal from ESPN

Brett Vito

24 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Who is throwing this money around exactly? Is it the same people that don’t show up to the games or make an ill conceived deck that no one goes too? Once again someone says SMU has money and influence, if they did SMU would have more people in the stands for football games and would recruit better players to make the tournament. 

Their boosters. Yes. Money and influence means fans in seats? They have a really nice basketball stadium now, just a couple years ago threw money at a hall of fame coach and used their money and influence to have really good basketball teams.

No one is saying SMU is a good program, school, or even a pretty turd. They have money and lots of it. Why is SMU in the AAC and we aren't? How does SMU even get mentioned by the BIG12 and we don't? They have lots of money and a little influence. 

• Upvote 2

The private schools SMU, Tulane, Tulsa had a good plan when they formed the original C-USA.  They said we are going to form a conference that best protects our interests. For years they used that conference to differentiate from the Sun Belt etc.  the AAC is just the next phase of that strategy.  Look at the AD budgets and coaching salaries facilities etc in the AAC.  They are a step above what you see in CUSA.  

In my mind our goal for now is we have to get everything we can up to the AAC level and beyond.  When realignment comes, we need to be well positioned for the next grouping.  SMU will always be an issue but if we can raise our value in the eyes of the other schools and who knows maybe even build some new bridges with SMU we could be given fair consideration.

the Big 12 and if Texas OU bolt at the next TV contract factor seems to me to be our next best shot to make our case for new conference inclusion.  If Texas and OU bolt for greener pastures we could very well have a chance to join up with the left overs.  

The challenge is we have to win and build attendance facilities now to be best positioned for when that time comes.  Fact of the matter is C-USA is no cake walk for us and we have to do better in all major sports.  We are making progress but the goal should be to dominate in C-USA and win championships every year.

18 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

It’s not even possible for me to disagree more than I do with this post.

Well that would mean you disagree with every point.

So apparently you think:

NT dominates CUSA

CUSA is a regional league

The MWC would be less travel 

The Big West days were good for NT

NT doesn't offer more to the AAC than some of their current teams

NT should base it's future plans on the break-up of the B12

CUSA has a very questionable upside

Macleod should remain commissioner of CUSA 

I really doubt that any NT fan would disagree with many or any of the above points.  It is not exactly a controversial view.  

• Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

the Big 12 and if Texas OU bolt at the next TV contract factor seems to me to be our next best shot to make our case for new conference inclusion.  If Texas and OU bolt for greener pastures we could very well have a chance to join up with the left overs.  

The challenge is we have to win and build attendance facilities now to be best positioned for when that time comes.  Fact of the matter is C-USA is no cake walk for us and we have to do better in all major sports.  We are making progress but the goal should be to dominate in C-USA and win championships every year.

The big question is what happens when the GOR expires for the Big XII in 2025.

A few things to keep in mind. The LHN doesn’t run out until 2031. They aren’t giving up that money. ESPN may end it prematurely or change it into something else, but they aren’t getting out of that payment. If that’s a problem for another conference, Texas may say that they will support a GOR extension to 2031 or they may just go independent until the LHN expires and then join a conference that they want to join down the road. Other sports become an AAC member, for example, until 2031.

KU will go to the B1G. This is the worst kept secret in conference realignment. KU is an AAU institution, like every other program has been when entering the B1G. They make so much money on research, which dwarfs athletics. The B1G gets another new market, great hoops, and another research school to celebrate.

OU isn’t AAU, but they are the leader in most national merit scholars. I suspect that they will have lots of options because of football and the fact that they deliver national interest. 

The others have some level of interest and uncertainty. OSU and Tech hope the big brothers coattails bring them into a new conference setup. KSU probably doesn’t get that lucky because of its remoteness. WVU wants the ACC, but they are probably an AAC school. Iowa State will be an AAC program for sure. That leaves BU and TCU, both of which seem like really good fits for the MWC. 

I don’t see a Big XII existing (like the SWC), but it could be a Big East/AAC deal, where other schools regionalize together from the leftovers, MWC mountain schools, and western AAC schools. We have to pray we get into that setup if it happens—because otherwise, we are probably stuck in a far flung conference with even less good programs than we have now.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

Their boosters. Yes. Money and influence means fans in seats? They have a really nice basketball stadium now, just a couple years ago threw money at a hall of fame coach and used their money and influence to have really good basketball teams.

No one is saying SMU is a good program, school, or even a pretty turd. They have money and lots of it. Why is SMU in the AAC and we aren't? How does SMU even get mentioned by the BIG12 and we don't? They have lots of money and a little influence. 

Good points. Good points 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Well that would mean you disagree with every point.

So apparently you think:

NT dominates CUSA

CUSA is a regional league

The MWC would be less travel 

The Big West days were good for NT

NT doesn't offer more to the AAC than some of their current teams

NT should base it's future plans on the break-up of the B12

CUSA has a very questionable upside

Macleod should remain commissioner of CUSA 

I really doubt that any NT fan would disagree with many or any of the above points.  It is not exactly a controversial view.  

Here’s what I think:

CUSA sucks compared to the MWC for the sports people care about. Travel to the west coast is the same as travel to the East Coast. F_U is no different, travel wise than playing SDSU or SJSU. Playing ODU or Marshall is no different than playing Boise State or Fresno State from a travel perspective. The Big West was bad for us because we quarter-assed it on a funding and facility standpoint. Meanwhile, BSU, Nevada, and Utah State all moved up. The programs who couldn’t compete financially fell back, like Idaho and NMSU, and us for a while. The MWC is NOTHING like the Big West. Look at bowl tie ins, BCS bowl berths, basketball tourney berths, and overall attendance comparisons. Really stupid to even try to make that comparison, actually. 

And we don’t dominate anything at all in this league. But we have upside others don’t have from location and enrollment—but it’s potential until someone gives us a chance and we take it and run with it. That hasn’t happened at all for us yet.

Judy McLeod is a terrible commissioner,  but she can’t do much about the current setup of the conference because idiots before her thought that adding ODU and Charlotte would keep East Carolina around. Just dumb...

UNT can’t base plans on a future Big 12 breakup because they don’t have the clout. If we did, we wouldn’t be in the situation we are in now, playing in a lower G5 league with very little respect. 

Basically, I want the best for us. The AAC and MWC are steps up in that direction. CUSA and SBC are basically looked at as being the same nationally. I think a step up would be awesome for our program. Playing Boise State, FSU, SDSU, and AFA would be so fun. So would playing UNM, Utah state, Nevada, and UNLV in basketball. It beats the absolute dogshit out of our current schedule. It’s not even close.

But it’s fans like you who will get what we deserve. You want SBCUSA schedules so you can go to games easier by driving. You prefer games in podunk Louisiana over games in Colorado against CSU or AFA. You like a game against F_U over a game in California against better name teams in SDSU and FSU. Congrats on getting what you want for our program. You represent the clear majority and I don’t. So, enjoy our ride into the new relegated level of play for football. Way to go...

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

Definitely. When I think of SMU working against UNT, I have this image in my head that they are working/paying to keep us down and out...beyond a measly yes/no vote.

everything you’ve mentioned has been agreeable, but in the context of them simply wanting to improve their own position. Not necessarily to keep us down.

does keeping us down help their position? No more or less than keeping down anyone else that wants what they want.

the previous Mean Green generation has painted this picture of SMU administration going to every effort to smite and hurt the Mean Green specifically, using their money and political weight.  I don’t see it. Not during my fandom.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the 10 year football series with them? If they wanted to have nothing to do with us, why did they sign on for that?

Edited by greenminer
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

Before TV networks really skyrocketed the influence on how conferences are setup, SMU had us by the balls by their influence and money. No SWC, no CUSA. Now, it’s their presence in our market. No TV network wants overlap. Rice and UH aren’t going to be in a conference again, just as we have never been with SMU. Networks want TV sets in multiple markets. While SMU really cannot stop us anymore from joining their conference, the networks do it instead.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

49 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Here’s what I think:

CUSA sucks compared to the MWC for the sports people care about. Travel to the west coast is the same as travel to the East Coast. F_U is no different, travel wise than playing SDSU or SJSU. Playing ODU or Marshall is no different than playing Boise State or Fresno State from a travel perspective. The Big West was bad for us because we quarter-assed it on a funding and facility standpoint. Meanwhile, BSU, Nevada, and Utah State all moved up. The programs who couldn’t compete financially fell back, like Idaho and NMSU, and us for a while. The MWC is NOTHING like the Big West. Look at bowl tie ins, BCS bowl berths, basketball tourney berths, and overall attendance comparisons. Really stupid to even try to make that comparison, actually. 

And we don’t dominate anything at all in this league. But we have upside others don’t have from location and enrollment—but it’s potential until someone gives us a chance and we take it and run with it. That hasn’t happened at all for us yet.

Judy McLeod is a terrible commissioner,  but she can’t do much about the current setup of the conference because idiots before her thought that adding ODU and Charlotte would keep East Carolina around. Just dumb...

UNT can’t base plans on a future Big 12 breakup because they don’t have the clout. If we did, we wouldn’t be in the situation we are in now, playing in a lower G5 league with very little respect. 

Basically, I want the best for us. The AAC and MWC are steps up in that direction. CUSA and SBC are basically looked at as being the same nationally. I think a step up would be awesome for our program. Playing Boise State, FSU, SDSU, and AFA would be so fun. So would playing UNM, Utah state, Nevada, and UNLV in basketball. It beats the absolute dogshit out of our current schedule. It’s not even close.

But it’s fans like you who will get what we deserve. You want SBCUSA schedules so you can go to games easier by driving. You prefer games in podunk Louisiana over games in Colorado against CSU or AFA. You like a game against F_U over a game in California against better name teams in SDSU and FSU. Congrats on getting what you want for our program. You represent the clear majority and I don’t. So, enjoy our ride into the new relegated level of play for football. Way to go...

CUSA sucks compared to the MWC, great analysis there.  Travel to the East is the same as to the West, yes; but you fail to mention the regional teams in CUSA.  The closest team would be in Albuquerque, 640 miles.  Yes, the MWC is similar to the Big West in locations although the Big West had closer teams.  The games are on late at night, Central time; and that greatly curtails following NT.  

Yes, fans like me like a conference were you can actually drive to a game, not have to stay up to midnight to listen to a game.  

Also there is the little issue that you are not just talking about football and basketball.  There is also substantial travel expense involved with other teams such as volleyball, softball, swimming, etc.  Not to mention the extra time away from classes and the competitive disadvantage of traveling future distances and playing at altitude. 

There is no one arguing that the MWC is not a better league than CUSA.  However, that could change with time.  

Fans like me get what we deserve, I am not sure what that means.   I support the team to the extent practical for me, and would do so whatever conference NT belongs to.  

This debate is just that, the MWC doesn't want NT and not likely to ever want to move the footprint of their conference East.    

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 3

54 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

CUSA sucks compared to the MWC, great analysis there.  Travel to the East is the same as to the West, yes; but you fail to mention the regional teams in CUSA.  The closest team would be in Albuquerque, 640 miles.  Yes, the MWC is similar to the Big West in locations although the Big West had closer teams.  The games are on late at night, Central time; and that greatly curtails following NT.  

Yes, fans like me like a conference were you can actually drive to a game, not have to stay up to midnight to listen to a game.  

Also there is the little issue that you are not just talking about football and basketball.  There is also substantial travel expense involved with other teams such as volleyball, softball, swimming, etc.  Not to mention the extra time away from classes and the competitive disadvantage of traveling future distances and playing at altitude. 

There is no one arguing that the MWC is not a better league than CUSA.  However, that could change with time.  

Fans like me get what we deserve, I am not sure what that means.   I support the team to the extent practical for me, and would do so whatever conference NT belongs to.  

This debate is just that, the MWC doesn't want NT and not likely to ever want to move the footprint of their conference East.    

Yeah, TCU really couldn’t handle the altitude when they were playing out west...

And, maybe, just maybe, you can for travel against those teams out west for the other programs because you actually get more money from being in a conference that gets Decent non P5 coverage. Crazy thought there.

But hey, you can drive down to Houston to watch us play rice!! And you can fly to El Paso, which takes the same time to fly to ABQ, but forget about that, because El Paso., brah!!

when I say you get what you deserve, make no doubt about it, I mean you’ve got the perfect setup for you—UNT being in a conference that lets you see the play teams that nobody cares about in this current world of college sports. You are everything that New Denton needs to get away from. And I mean everything...

• Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Yeah, TCU really couldn’t handle the altitude when they were playing out west...

And, maybe, just maybe, you can for travel against those teams out west for the other programs because you actually get more money from being in a conference that gets Decent non P5 coverage. Crazy thought there.

But hey, you can drive down to Houston to watch us play rice!! And you can fly to El Paso, which takes the same time to fly to ABQ, but forget about that, because El Paso., brah!!

when I say you get what you deserve, make no doubt about it, I mean you’ve got the perfect setup for you—UNT being in a conference that lets you see the play teams that nobody cares about in this current world of college sports. You are everything that New Denton needs to get away from. And I mean everything...

I guess anyone that doesn't believe in your sports utopia, is just not your kind of fan.  

You have not countered one point, just more foolishness.  Yes, I can drive to San Antonio, Houston, Ruston and Hattiesburg and have done so many times.  All are much closer than the closest MWC location.  

Again, the MWC is not going to allow NT membership; so you can rant and rave all you want; it is not going to happen.   So yes you can dream about the MWC or SEC, it makes no difference.  

You keep bringing up TCU, there are just a few minor details you ignore.   The MWC was a better league in those days including BYU and Utah.  Also had la Tech, which gave them at least one close game.  TCU was a premiere program in the league, so they overcame the altitude.  Also they were able to relatively quickly move on.  

Do you go to those pitiful CUSA games?  If you do then, I guess you are one of those fans you like to assail.  If you don't go, then your opinion and pontification means little and why do you bother to post on this message board. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I guess anyone that doesn't believe in your sports utopia, is just not your kind of fan.  

You have not countered one point, just more foolishness.  Yes, I can drive to San Antonio, Houston, Ruston and Hattiesburg and have done so many times.  All are much closer than the closest MWC location.  

Again, the MWC is not going to allow NT membership; so you can rant and rave all you want; it is not going to happen.   So yes you can dream about the MWC or SEC, it makes no difference.  

You keep bringing up TCU, there are just a few minor details you ignore.   The MWC was a better league in those days including BYU and Utah.  Also had la Tech, which gave them at least one close game.  TCU was a premiere program in the league, so they overcame the altitude.  Also they were able to relatively quickly move on.  

Do you go to those pitiful CUSA games?  If you do then, I guess you are one of those fans you like to assail.  If you don't go, then your opinion and pontification means little and why do you bother to post on this message board. 

La Tech was never in the MWC. Minor detail...

you are right that we aren’t prolly getting a MWC invite, but even if we did, folks in our fanbase have made it obviously clear they don’t want it because it’s better to drive to a game than have us be in a better league. That’s reality that I cannot defeat, which I gladly admit. It is what it is. And Utah was the equal to Boise State today, at best. BYU is a tough one to replace for all of the MWC, for sure. 

And now let’s compare to CUSA.

Our best teams that have national recognition are Southen Miss, Louisiana Tech, and Marshall. No way that compares to Boise State, Fresno State, or Utah state, who are their big 3 programs now. I wouldn’t expect you to understand this. You’re Old Denton to the tee...

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

La Tech was never in the MWC. Minor detail...

you are right that we aren’t prolly getting a MWC invite, but even if we did, folks in our fanbase have made it obviously clear they don’t want it because it’s better to drive to a game than have us be in a better league. That’s reality that I cannot defeat, which I gladly admit. It is what it is. And Utah was the equal to Boise State today, at best. BYU is a tough one to replace for all of the MWC, for sure. 

And now let’s compare to CUSA.

Our best teams that have national recognition are Southen Miss, Louisiana Tech, and Marshall. No way that compares to Boise State, Fresno State, or Utah state, who are their big 3 programs now. I wouldn’t expect you to understand this. You’re Old Denton to the tee...

No La Tech was in the WAC, which was I believe a Western based conference.

Again, read; I stated that the MWC is a better conference.

I notice you did not attempt to answer the last question.  So what is the answer, surely you know if you go to the CUSA games or not. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

No La Tech was in the WAC, which was I believe a Western based conference.

Again, read; I stated that the MWC is a better conference.

I notice you did not attempt to answer the last question.  So what is the answer, surely you know if you go to the CUSA games or not. 

I go to UNT games. I’d like it even more if we were playing games against teams I think would raise our profile more than the F_Us and the likes of ODU and Charlotte.

But it’s cool that you like our setup. So does the majority of our fanbase. It’s why I firmly expect to be in a relegated level of play for good in football within 5-10 years.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I go to UNT games. I’d like it even more if we were playing games against teams I think would raise our profile more than the F_Us and the likes of ODU and Charlotte.

But it’s cool that you like our setup. So does the majority of our fanbase. It’s why I firmly expect to be in a relegated level of play for good in football within 5-10 years.

You know you are at best a hypocrite. You attend games like most NT fans do, and yet degrade other fans for their attendance and support. 

As far as fans liking the current conference situation, how in the world do you come to that conclusion?  Some have a little more touch with reality than you seem to, but that doesn't mean they are happy with the status quo.  

Back to the basics, I don't believe the MWC is a good fix for NT even if offered.   We can and have disagreed on that. That is not a demarkation between old and new Denton or good or bad fans.   It is just an opinion.   

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

You know you are at best a hypocrite. You attend games like most NT fans do, and yet degrade other fans for their attendance and support. 

As far as fans liking the current conference situation, how in the world do you come to that conclusion?  Some have a little more touch with reality than you seem to, but that doesn't mean they are happy with the status quo.  

Back to the basics, I don't believe the MWC is a good fix for NT even if offered.   We can and have disagreed on that. That is not a demarkation between old and new Denton or good or bad fans.   It is just an opinion.   

Solid conference you are fighting for, Grandpa Green...

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-conference-ranking-exiting-2018-season-SEC-Big-Ten-Big-12-ACC-127681896/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2018-college-football-conference-power-rankings-sec-back-on-top-but-where-does-the-big-ten-land/amp/

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2

17 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Is that suppose to be an insult?  Might as well add in a little ageism to the mix.  

Again read, this is from the post you are responding to: As far as fans liking the current conference situation, how in the world do you come to that conclusion?  

You don't need to reference a bunch of stats, nearly every NT fan is very familiar with, to prove a point almost every fan agrees on.  

Logic or debate are not your strengths.  Have a good day.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Is that suppose to be an insult?  Might as well add in a little ageism to the mix.  

Again read, this is from the post you are responding to: As far as fans liking the current conference situation, how in the world do you come to that conclusion?  

You don't need to reference a bunch of stats, nearly every NT fan is very familiar with, to prove a point almost every fan agrees on.  

Logic or debate are not your strengths.  Have a good day.   

The conference situation you openly choose and have stated is CUSA because of the regional drive ability. I’m suggesting a conference that a team 45 minutes to the south used to become a very solid and recognizable program. I’d prefer something that raises our profile, you know, with an actual existing conference. You don’t offer anything. Shocker...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If people can’t see the difference between the Big West & MWC, I don’t know what to say.  I don’t know why it’s brought up by the folks who oppose the MWC.

Again, when you’re talking football, you’re talking only 4 games per year in the Mountain or Pacific time zone (unless you schedule non-conference games like Cal). And those games don’t necessarily have to start late, just like many of our home games kicked off at 1:00 or 3:00 over the past few years.

Seems pretty obvious to me

• Upvote 2

On 3/23/2019 at 11:45 AM, untjim1995 said:

Before TV networks really skyrocketed the influence on how conferences are setup, SMU had us by the balls by their influence and money. No SWC, no CUSA. Now, it’s their presence in our market. No TV network wants overlap. Rice and UH aren’t going to be in a conference again, just as we have never been with SMU. Networks want TV sets in multiple markets. While SMU really cannot stop us anymore from joining their conference, the networks do it instead.

In theory, yes. But UT and ATM share T.V. markets as well as key recruiting territory. UH is in that market too. 

OU and TCU share TV markets and key recruiting territory as well. 

Cal and Stanford. 

FSU and UF

UCLA and USC

The entire tobacco road conundrum...NC State, Duke, and UNC all within a half hour of one another. Then Wake Forest less than 2 hours away and ECU right down the road. 

WKU and MTSU 1 1/2 hours from each other. 

FIU and FAU 1 hr from each other. 

And there are countless other examples of this. So there may be a smidgen of truth to your statement, it is by no means an end all. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/21/2019 at 1:23 PM, Rudy said:

Too bad we couldn't hire a commissioner who knew what they were doing. It was more important to make a splash hire. 

Comish is only as good as the product! We need to win big and consistently to separate ourselves from this conference!

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

In theory, yes. But UT and ATM share T.V. markets as well as key recruiting territory. UH is in that market too. 

OU and TCU share TV markets and key recruiting territory as well. 

Cal and Stanford. 

FSU and UF

UCLA and USC

The entire tobacco road conundrum...NC State, Duke, and UNC all within a half hour of one another. Then Wake Forest less than 2 hours away and ECU right down the road. 

WKU and MTSU 1 1/2 hours from each other. 

FIU and FAU 1 hr from each other. 

And there are countless other examples of this. So there may be a smidgen of truth to your statement, it is by no means an end all. 

The issue is that the networks will take on big markets covered by multiple Power Teams, like DFW or SF, since they want Texas and OU or Cal and Stanford. Its the G5s they won't do this for anymore. While MUTS and WKU may be 90 minutes apart, like TCU and Baylor are, MUTS is in the Nashville DMA. I'm not sure who Western Kentucky's DMA is, but its not Nashville. FIU is Miami as its DMA, while FAU is Palm Beach, which is close, but is considered different by networks.

Again, the main goal here has to be to get above SMU in the hierarchy of college sports for us to move upward. Only way to have that happen is to either get accepted tot he MWC (which is extremely doubtful, obviously and sadly) or to hope that when the Big XII falls apart by 2025 when its GOR expires, the leftovers somehow stick together and add teams into the Big XII instead of joining another league, like the MWC or AAC. If that occurred, lets say TCU, BU, ISU, WVU, and KSU are left behind, but keep the Big XII name. They could then go to current MWC, AAC, CUSA, and MAC schools and sell them on leaving to come into the new version of the Big XII. Would that setup get the attention of UH, Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, Memphis, Cincy, USF, UCF, Colorado State, AFA, and New Mexico? I'd think so. So, if that happens, we could get a spot somewhere new or stick it out in CUSA.

Obviously, the dream would be to see the Big 12 leftovers listed above add us over SMU. But as things currently sit, its tough to see any of this being the case...

• Ray 1