DRC: Report -- AAC lands $1 billion media rights deal from ESPN

Brett Vito

The AAC has nice pieces that are filler content in the three major sports. Don’t forget UConn’s women’s team is popular in the NE.

The AAC and the MWC have a lot of solid names for revenue sports. The lower G5’s dont. I believe the path forward is the SBCUSA reorganizing regionally to lower costs and increase gate revenue to make up the $$$ differences that the Upper G5’s have. It’s really the only path forward.

When the Big XII implodes, the leftovers are going to have to either join somewhere or bring others back in, like the Big East becoming the AAC and lowering down to G5 status. My guess is the AAC adds in Iowa Stare and Kansas State, the MWC adds in Baylor and TCU, and the SBCUSA realigns. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

The AAC has nice pieces that are filler content in the three major sports. Don’t forget UConn’s women’s team is popular in the NE.

The AAC and the MWC have a lot of solid names for revenue sports. The lower G5’s dont. I believe the path forward is the SBCUSA reorganizing regionally to lower costs and increase gate revenue to make up the $$$ differences that the Upper G5’s have. It’s really the only path forward.

When the Big XII implodes, the leftovers are going to have to either join somewhere or bring others back in, like the Big East becoming the AAC and lowering down to G5 status. My guess is the AAC adds in Iowa Stare and Kansas State, the MWC adds in Baylor and TCU, and the SBCUSA realigns. 

In this scenario, I would think BU and TCU to AAC and Iowas State and Kanas State to MWC. I could also see Kansas to AAC 

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Absolutely, the AAC has some great programs but name alone isn't anything in the G5 anymore. Just ask UCF or Boise - it's winning and potential. 

We need to recognize the entirety of the G5 for what it is - a collection of programs equally screwed, yet insist on eating each other instead of fixing the problem. Local rivalries, away games which people can get to, names that people know regionally if not nationally - those are the way forward for now. Mountain to Belt, everyone needs to have a come to Jesus about that with the exception of the MAC, which is a stable conference for a reason.

The P4 need realignment. The G5 need implosion. The future of the market presages the outcome. 

What can UNT do to prepare for the future - very little, we're in pretty good shape. The only thing that needs to happen is the replacement of our Southland game with a Texas State series. But the most important task is keeping our series with Houston and SMU. It's no coincidence that Wren extended SMU and scheduled Houston, and it's good news that they seem happy to play us every year.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, Legend500 said:

Absolutely, the AAC has some great programs but name alone isn't anything in the G5 anymore. Just ask UCF or Boise - it's winning and potential. 

We need to recognize the entirety of the G5 for what it is - a collection of programs equally screwed, yet insist on eating each other instead of fixing the problem. Local rivalries, away games which people can get to, names that people know regionally if not nationally - those are the way forward for now. Mountain to Belt, everyone needs to have a come to Jesus about that with the exception of the MAC, which is a stable conference for a reason.

The P4 need realignment. The G5 need implosion. The future of the market presages the outcome. 

What can UNT do to prepare for the future - very little, we're in pretty good shape. The only thing that needs to happen is the replacement of our Southland game with a Texas State series. But the most important task is keeping our series with Houston and SMU. It's no coincidence that Wren extended SMU and scheduled Houston, and it's good news that they seem happy to play us every year.

I think the AAC schools and the MWC schools are in decent shape when a P4 reality happens. They will probably stay connected to the P4s in a bowl slot, but the rest of us are on some seriously shaky ground. I think the culling of FBS will start then.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I think the AAC schools and the MWC schools are in decent shape when a P4 reality happens. They will probably stay connected to the P4s in a bowl slot, but the rest of us are on some seriously shaky ground. I think the culling of FBS will start then.

Some are in decent shape, but both have programs which, even getting $7 a year, are barely sustainable. Near us, Tulane and Tulsa are examples of this. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Legend500 said:

Some are in decent shape, but both have programs which, even getting $7 a year, are barely sustainable. Near us, Tulane and Tulsa are examples of this. 

Yes, the private schools are fooling people with their big markets, $$$, and tradition-rich names. But SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, and Rice bring very little to a conference compared to the big state schools. But only Rice has been knocked down twice with conference realignment.

• Upvote 2

The more I have sat on this today, the more frustrated I have gotten...

We get what, $400k from TV contracts, and they will be getting millions?  I know a lot of those schools are way ahead of us... but some are not.

That fact alone makes me the most angry.  I hope Wren jumps at the first chance we get at a stronger conference, whatever it may be... bc this is tough. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MrStrange18 said:

The more I have sat on this today, the more frustrated I have gotten...

We get what, $400k from TV contracts, and they will be getting millions?  I know a lot of those schools are way ahead of us... but some are not.

That fact alone makes me the most angry.  I hope Wren jumps at the first chance we get at a stronger conference, whatever it may be... bc this is tough. 

There is only one conference that we could even remotely have a chance to go into that is above us currently and that is the MWC. Who knows if they’d even consider us, but the overwhelming response on gmg.com is never to go there since it’s time zones away and stuff and the newspapers that you people used to read physically won’t have a game story on Sunday morning, which just holds your program back, since apparently these folks believe the MWC is the EXACT SAME as the old Big West.

@MeanGreenTexan knows my frustration about this—as we are in the vast minority of our fans on this subject. 

• Upvote 5

I’m all for joining the MWC, and what you said about time zone differences and newspaper coverage and whatever other weak excuses for not wanting to join just does not outweigh the benefits. Yes they have to travel but the quality of the conference and bowl tie ins are vastly superior. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Any number$ that Say the positives outweighs the negatives.  Any numbers that say the excuses to not join are weak.

I’ll give you names instead of numbers:

Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii, San Diego State, Utah State, UNLV, Nevada, Colorado State, AFA, and New Mexico are all teams that have had great success in the two main revenue sports (i.e., ranked) in the last decade.

Since UNT has been in the current version of CUSA, I don’t believe we have had one team ranked ever in the two main revenue sports. Plus, their champion is often in play for the BCS spot and is often ranked and seeded high in basketball. Our champion in 2017 got to play a MAC team that finished around .500 at home for their bowl game. This year, UAB got another MAC team for their bowl game as CUSA champs. In hoops, they got Nevada who was ranked most of the year and is seeded 7th. We got Old Dominion, who was seeded 14th. 

In so many cases, the company you keep reflects who you are. Right now, people view our league on similar terms as the SBC. To not see this increase in competitive names across both sports is just unfathomable to me.

But its a moot point—if the MWC had any interest in us, we would have known about it already. They are just waiting on the Big XII to implode and see what Texas schools they will want to invite over. They’d love to get TCU, Baylor, UH, and probably either UTEP or UTSA for the TV market and bowl tie in possibilities.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

In so many cases, the company you keep reflects who you are. Right now, people view our league on similar terms as the SBC. To not see this increase in competitive names across both sports is just unfathomable to me.

This may open up a whole other can of worms here... but I would argue that the current version of the Sun Belt is stronger than CUSA. 

I do like playing more local schools in our current conference, but I think Troy could beat any team in our conference easily. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

What do the numbers say?

Looking at just media rights, their current deal pays 1.1 million per school, which dwarfs North Texas’ current allotment. Facilities? Colorado St. just opened a 200 million dollar on campus stadium. Their players are drafted into the NFL and NBA....Derek Carr, Josh Allen, Paul George, Kwahi Leonard just to name a few. In almost every quantifiable category the MWC is better and would be better for North Texas. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Looking at just media rights, their current deal pays 1.1 million per school, which dwarfs North Texas’ current allotment. Facilities? Colorado St. just opened a 200 million dollar on campus stadium. Their players are drafted into the NFL and NBA....Derek Carr, Josh Allen, Paul George, Kwahi Leonard just to name a few. In almost every quantifiable category the MWC is better and would be better for North Texas. 

Yes MWC is better than CUSA. In MWC's current makeup we are not a fit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

59 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Yes MWC is better than CUSA. In MWC's current makeup we are not a fit. 

You are right. But the MWC needs the Texas markets and exposure again. They had it when TCU was in it and they have passed on it again since they left because they have felt that it was better to expand within the current footprint when the old WAC fell apart. The MWC knows they will get some great Texas teams to join when the Big XII’s GOR ends in 2025.

We know the Big XII has three schools that other conferences would take—Texas, OU, and KU. Beyond that, it will all be political to see if in state brethren get included. My guess is OSU and Texas Tech will, but KSU won’t. ISU is outta luck because of their location, which is really too bad, because they are an AAU research university like KU and UT, as well as having really great support. TCU and Baylor are out for sure, as no Power conference will take them after this. So, the MWC will gladly take them both, while hoping that Tech is somehow available in all of this and they will press UH hard to come over with any of them, which is questionable whether they would or not.

2 hours ago, MrStrange18 said:

This may open up a whole other can of worms here... but I would argue that the current version of the Sun Belt is stronger than CUSA. 

I do like playing more local schools in our current conference, but I think Troy could beat any team in our conference easily. 

I’ve argued for awhile that the SBCUSA is basically the same, for football and hoops. Nobody here cares about F_Us or ODU or Charlotte. At Marshall, they have no interest whatsoever in UTSA or UTEP. I’d imagine that Coastal Carolina and the G_Us in the SBC don’t move the needle much at Texas State, Louisiana, or Arkansas state.

ASAP, these two conferences would benefit GREATLY from realigning their members. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I’ve argued for awhile that the SBCUSA is basically the same, for football and hoops. Nobody here cares about F_Us or ODU or Charlotte. At Marshall, they have no interest whatsoever in UTSA or UTEP. I’d imagine that Coastal Carolina and the G_Us in the SBC don’t move the needle much at Texas State, Louisiana, or Arkansas state.

ASAP, these two conferences would benefit GREATLY from realigning their members. 

I really do love conference realignment talk... (really, no sarcasm... I love it)

Lets be real... unless we win 4 of the next 6 CUSA titles, we will be living in SBCUSA world for quite some time.

Once all the conference realignments start back up, I would love to see the better schools from SBC and CUSA come together for a conference that could start to rival AAC.  I just hope we will be in those conversations!

Edited by MrStrange18
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

You are right. But the MWC needs the Texas markets and exposure again. They had it when TCU was in it and they have passed on it again since they left because they have felt that it was better to expand within the current footprint when the old WAC fell apart. The MWC knows they will get some great Texas teams to join when the Big XII’s GOR ends in 2025.

Why does the MWC need the Texas markets and their exposure? They seem to do be doing just fine without it.

• Upvote 3