Manziel to the AAF

So what’s your take on the AAF?  I don’t know much about it.  Is it a league whereby the likes of Guyton for example can prove they can play at the next level?  The Canadians play a weird version of football with lots of moving parts and an extra down - how weird is that?  Or is it one less down?  I believe they also have three quarters, not four...

What does all this mean for college football?  Is the AAF the G5 of the NFL?  

Edited by ChiefTenBeers2015
Or not it

59 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

The league won't last

You may be right, but I hope it does keep going. As they continue to move forward I believe they will need to get the support of the NFL. I think it is clear they are not trying to compete with, but basically, offer players a chance to get to the NFL. I would like to see The NFL basically place players with teams, sort of like AAA baseball.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

You may be right, but I hope it does keep going. As they continue to move forward I believe they will need to get the support of the NFL. I think it is clear they are not trying to compete with, but basically, offer players a chance to get to the NFL. I would like to see The NFL basically place players with teams, sort of like AAA baseball.

The NFL already has AAA and it's called college football.

• Haha 2

The AAF is aligning themselves up to be a developmental league more than any of the others. I've kept up with the league every week, it's decent football. Crowds are struggling in many of the markets including Arizona, Atlanta, and Salt Lake City. San Antonio has had the biggest crowds with 25k+ for both home games so far. For the most part, looks like the AAF is going to non-NFL markets (except Atlanta and Phoenix) like San Diego, San Antonio, Memphis, Salt Lake City, Orlando, and Birmingham where the XFL is going to the biggest TV markets (7 of 8 teams will share market with NFL team).

I think it's definitely a place where guys like Guyton can get some experience and try to move up to the NFL. Memphis is the worst team so far, and has already played three QBs. Manziel will be the biggest name in the league by far. Besides him, Garrett Gilbert (Orlando) is probably the biggest name behind center.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Football is not like other sports. Basketball and baseball the more you play the better you can improve your skills or work on that one thing that is keeping you from the top level.

Every year a football player gets older his value to a team goes down. Why pay to have your incoming products to be damaged goods?

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

The AAF is aligning themselves up to be a developmental league more than any of the others. I've kept up with the league every week, it's decent football. Crowds are struggling in many of the markets including Arizona, Atlanta, and Salt Lake City. San Antonio has had the biggest crowds with 25k+ for both home games so far. For the most part, looks like the AAF is going to non-NFL markets (except Atlanta and Phoenix) like San Diego, San Antonio, Memphis, Salt Lake City, Orlando, and Birmingham where the XFL is going to the biggest TV markets (7 of 8 teams will share market with NFL team).

I think it's definitely a place where guys like Guyton can get some experience and try to move up to the NFL. Memphis is the worst team so far, and has already played three QBs. Manziel will be the biggest name in the league by far. Besides him, Garrett Gilbert (Orlando) is probably the biggest name behind center.

I know they want to lay the foundation, but while I don't see expansion, I do think you could see a team or two relocate after next season if the attendance does not improve. I know they're showing good numbers now, but for butts-in-the-seats, I'm surprised SA did not keep Manziel.   

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I know they want to lay the foundation, but while I don't see expansion, I do think you could see a team or two relocate after next season if the attendance does not improve. I know they're showing good numbers now, but for butts-in-the-seats, I'm surprised SA did not keep Manziel.   

Bill Polian, co-founder, said earlier this month that there were no plans of expansion or relocation at the moment

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/2019/03/06/aaf-no-plans-expansion-relocation-2020-bill-polian-charlie-ebersol/3083024002/

Things change, of course. A little concerning that a $250 million bailout was needed to get Week 1 paychecks.

My first two expansion/relocation candidates would be Portland and Omaha. The United Football League's (2009-12) Omaha Nighthawks would sell out the old Johnny Rosenblatt Stadium.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...