Offseason Strategy

BillySee58

Right now we have just two scholarships to work with, and far more holes. We also have two players coming off redshirts, possibly three with Tikhonenko. Two straight years we have faltered down the stretch due in large part to having a terrible offense. 

I mentioned we have two spots left. That’s not enough to fix our issues. I know it’s a crappy thing to do and I don’t like saying it or typing it, but I really think it would be beneficial if we could setup transfers for Alcindor, J Simmons and Tikhonenko, or even just 2 of the 3. Let’s say 2 of the 3 for now. That would give us 4 spots to work with.

Here is what our roster would look like:

Guards: Woolridge, Gibson, Smart, Jalen Jackson, DJ Draper, Larry Wise

Forwards: Abdul Mohamed

Bigs: Zachary Simmons

Now for filling those five spots let’s look at the offers that have gone out since we started the season:

JUCO SG James Reese, offers include Boise State and SMU

JUCO F James Jean-Marie, offers include San Diego, East Carolina, Oregon State

HS (Prep School) SG Kevon Voyles, only other offer was Maryland Eastern Shore last year

I think Reese is what we need. A pure shooter, hitting 43.6% from three and 86.9% from the line. Also listed at 6’4” which helps since our lack of height at times prevented us from having clean looks and creating space. Start him at the 3, Smart at the 2, and have Gibson off the bench.

I would like to see us get Voyles as well. I think Voyles would be a player who could easily average 15+ a game for us down the line. Really like his ability as a scorer. Adding him and Reese would give us something we’ve never had under Mccasland. He would give us two legit bench scoring options with Gibson, which is huge because some nights two or three of your main guys are off, sometimes guys get injured, and sometimes your leading scorer from the year before ends up shooting 33% from the field and 27% from three. Not to mention having a true point guard off the bench in Jackson who should be able to break down defenses off the dribble better than Gibson and Duffy.

Next we do need a legit player who can play 4 in our scheme. James Jean-Marie would be that guy. I don’t feel confident that we get him, but I feel like this type of player could become available on the grad transfer market. A guy like Dallas Polk-Hilliard from Grambling would be a great fit, but no clue if he’s going to come available. Even if he doesn’t, that’s the type of player our scheme needs. 6’7”, shot 43% from three and averaged 12.7 and 5.6. I feel like we need to try and get two guys like this, to go with Abdul Mohamed, who I have no idea what he’s going to give.

Last I think we need to add a quality big behind Simmons. Maybe a JUCO, maybe a grad transfer, maybe even a freshman. Someone who can come in, give us 12-15 solid minutes a night, can rebound, give some semblance of rim protection, and is not a liability on offense. Basically what we wanted Arikawe to be. Preferably someone we can groom under Simmons, like we hoped Alcindor could be. Also wouldn’t mind adding someone who could play the four and the five. I’ve mentioned this before, but someone like Colin Voss. 6’7-6’8”, can stretch the defense and guard away from the basket but can also bang down low and rebound. 

This isn’t a complete overhaul. Saying we needed that was wrong. We have a nucleus that we have felt good in since Mccasland came here in Woolridge, Smart, Gibson, and Zach Simmons. We need Smart to figure things out this offseason but we also need to bolst our roster elsewhere. We have put out some good offers but our coaches need to prove they can recruit and get the guys we need, not the guys who we get because no one else wants them.

Let’s see your strategies you would like to see us take this offseason.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

I mostly agree with your assessment. 

NT as stated returns a very strong nucleus next year.   Returning 4 double digit scorers is very impressive: Gibson 12.6, Woolridge 11.7, Zack Simmons 10.2 and Smart 10.7.  

Returning a guard rotation of Woolright, Gibson, Draper, Smart plus Johnson and Wise looks good.   The only knowns in the front court are the Simmons.  

We really know nothing about the redshirted bigs and Alcindor who burned his shirt but barely hit the floor.   Has Tikhonenko really been injured and still maybe someone that McCasland has in his plans.  A 6'10 player with a good shoot is hard to give up on.  Mohammed is actually listed as a guard and he may have been redshirted simply because McCasland thought he was loaded at that position.  

McCasland will add another guard and at least least one big.   The priority has to be a front court playing that can play the five.  I think NT needs someone who can rebound and defend the basket as a priority.  I don't like NT's lineup with 6'4 Simmons being the tallest player.  Any offense from this player would be a bonus.  

Smart getting back to sophomore form might be the biggest add NT could get.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

We really need some size to set some pics! Western K was using 3-4 bigs to do this. Gibs at 6’ is going to need help on some nights and having a nice size forward and keeping Zach around the hoop could be beneficial! Many times I thought Zach and Toby could of played together!

• Upvote 1

Draper was a nice feel good story but shouldn't be part of the plan moving forward. He has graduated and could transfer to a small school for his final year or stay on as a graduate assistant. Smart and Grant's relationship looks like it has gone sour. Maybe his foot injury changed his shot.  Might be best for him to get a fresh start somewhere else for his final year. J. Simmons gave us nothing but Grant brought him over so he may feel he has to keep him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I mentioned we have two spots left. That’s not enough to fix our issues. I know it’s a crappy thing to do and I don’t like saying it or typing it, but I really think it would be beneficial if we could setup transfers for Alcindor, J Simmons and Tikhonenko, or even just 2 of the 3.

JJ did this after year 2 or 3. It was unfortunate and crappy but it had to be done to become competitive. 

• Upvote 1

We need a legit backup to Z Simmons.  That's priority #1 for me.  Priority #2 is someone who can replace Miller.  We need a slasher who can make free throws.

Tiko was supposed to be a gamer.  I have that on the authority of a former coach with Mac's staff.  No idea what's gone on there.  He was the x factor missing from this team.  A guy on the outside that could shoot over anyone.  If he's done here I'd like to see another pure shooter added.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

We need a legit backup to Z Simmons.  That's priority #1 for me.  Priority #2 is someone who can replace Miller.  We need a slasher who can make free throws.

Tiko was supposed to be a gamer.  I have that on the authority of a former coach with Mac's staff.  No idea what's gone on there.  He was the x factor missing from this team.  A guy on the outside that could shoot over anyone.  If he's done here I'd like to see another pure shooter added.

We have Alincot and Mark coming back as sophomores next season. We need a good stretch 4. I am unsure what Mohammed has to offer, but hopefully he and Wise filll some holes. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

How about recruiting the best guys you can get (priority to bigs) and stop trying to peg them into a system (small ball) that has not worked in this conference and later on in the year; when shots aren't falling. Let's see if the coach can coach and recruit. The 2018 class was a complete bust. Good luck with trying to get a coach to run off his own guys 1 year after they signed. (although needed)

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Cooley said:

How about recruiting the best guys you can get (priority to bigs) and stop trying to peg them into a system (small ball) that has not worked in this conference and later on in the year; when shots aren't falling. Let's see if the coach can coach and recruit. The 2018 class was a complete bust. Good luck with trying to get a coach to run off his own guys 1 year after they signed. (although needed)

10 hours ago, GreenFlag said:

JJ did this after year 2 or 3. It was unfortunate and crappy but it had to be done to become competitive. 

I am not advocating running anyone off, but this is done all the time. 

If a player doesn't significantly contribute after year two and sometimes sooner, he is usually gone in the majority of programs.   

Jones was an exception when he was here, and usually kept most of his signees.   

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2019 at 2:03 PM, Shark84 said:

Draper was a nice feel good story but shouldn't be part of the plan moving forward. He has graduated and could transfer to a small school for his final year or stay on as a graduate assistant. Smart and Grant's relationship looks like it has gone sour. Maybe his foot injury changed his shot.  Might be best for him to get a fresh start somewhere else for his final year. J. Simmons gave us nothing but Grant brought him over so he may feel he has to keep him.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense; get rid of Draper, NT's best three point shooter.   Who, also plays good defense despite his size.  

Likewise if there is any chance that Smart, can return to form; why would McCasland not let him have a year to regain his game.  Not to mention, letting go of a player with multiple school records.  

McCasland doesn't have to keep anyone, but he as stated is going to keep playing J. Simmons.  Who gave the team a lot more than nothing, effectively being the only backup to Zack.  

NT has two ships open and three little used big men who are much more likely not to have their ships renewed than the ones you named. 

I would be happy if NT could get two premier recruits.  However, if McCasland finds more recruits he thinks can improve the team, he will make room on the roster.  

• Upvote 2

Draper has the best 3 point percentage, but not by a lot. Gibson is a close 2nd in %, but throws them up a lot more. If you value contribution, it’s not like he’s scoring a ton off the bench.  he’s averaged 4 ppg this year.

i wonder if a lot of the positivity about Draper is carry over from what he did at the end of last year.

i like his hustle and intangibles, tho.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Cooley said:

We don’t have a true big. Question: is this because 1) Mac is not prioritizing it, or 2) he can’t find one? Maybe a little of both?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Draper has the best 3 point percentage, but not by a lot. Gibson is a close 2nd in %, but throws them up a lot more. If you value contribution, it’s not like he’s scoring a ton off the bench.  he’s averaged 4 ppg this year.

i wonder if a lot of the positivity about Draper is carry over from what he did at the end of last year.

i like his hustle and intangibles, tho.

I think people really value his lunch pail.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1