What Has to be Done?

33 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

$$$$$$$$$

I agree....all of it! Seriously though, I get the sense that some don’t see it as a priority and even more so see it as a way to divert resources from revenue sports that are barely emerging from almost a decade of losing. In summary, I think some see it as too much too soon. I am not one of those people

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

....to allow UNT a baseball program as to the likes of 12 of our CUSA members? And don't give me title 9 BS. That all applies to the other CUSA members and SOME HOW, SOME WAY, they're able.  .

So..... 

Playing Devils Advocate (I have no idea one way or the other): do we have a program that the other 12 don’t? Is there another team on our title 9 budget that is non-existent at our conference peers?

paging @Cerebus

Edited by greenminer

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

....to allow UNT a baseball program as to the likes of 12 of our CUSA members? And don't give me title 9 BS. That all applies to the other CUSA members and SOME HOW, SOME WAY, they're able.  .

So..... 

It's pretty much been determined that title 9 is a non issue for us. It's all about the Benjamins.

• Thanks 2

Really curious as to what it costs to run a good D1 program on an annual basis?  Then I would be curious as to what kind of revenue can be expected from stadium naming, ticket sales, concessions, etc...  Is it a loss, break even or profitable program.  Also, could the facility be used to host high school playoff games and what is the revenue generated from these events directly applied to the baseball program or to the athletic department in general?

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

It's pretty much been determined that title 9 is a non issue for us. It's all about the Benjamins.

Well, I would like the AD to create a fund allocated for baseball. Make a big announcement about the "growing interest in baseball at UNT". Make a public luncheon out of it to announce, have computerized drawings of an arbitrary potential field, costs to create the team, and open the fund. It's planting a real seed. Couldn't possibly hurt anything. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

It's my understanding that once the existing facilities are brought up to speed and/or finished, then baseball will be addressed. WB wants BB, but wants to be at the best with what we currently have.

Yes... a lot of our facilities are seriously lacking. I would rather see those be brought up to snuff before adding another money drain.  Like i would really like to have a football locker room that rivaled at least FAU

Also, just asking the question... would you rather see a new basketball/volleyball arena before we got a baseball stadium.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Well, I would like the AD to create a fund allocated for baseball. Make a big announcement about the "growing interest in baseball at UNT". Make a public luncheon out of it to announce, have computerized drawings of an arbitrary potential field, costs to create the team, and open the fund. It's planting a real seed. Couldn't possibly hurt anything.

This is not how capital fundraising works through. There's always a quiet phase before a major launch like you're talking about. During the quiet phase, you put together your feasibility study, specific capital fundraising strategy, identify lead donors, etc. Typically, when raising funds for a capital project like adding baseball, you try to get 50%-75% in the coffers before you go live with what you are suggesting. I'd also be curious if there really is a "growing interest in baseball at UNT." I wonder if there's been a study done?

The issue I think we are seeing is that WB sees other capital projects as more important than adding baseball. Just look at the facilities plan he has put together. My guess would be, that right now, he is identifying lead donors for those projects that have higher priorities. UNT can't just keep taxing the students to fund these types of projects. At some point, these funds are going to have to be raised through donations and ticket sales. Keep winning in football and basketball to drive the cash flows up and then things will really take off. He's got things headed in the right direction in those areas. Now it has to be sustained. There's no reason to keep spreading those monies out wider until you are pleased what what you're already committed to.

My 2 cents.

• Thanks 1