Another PG Offer

Cooley

17 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I would if I was a talented big man, and not a role player at best

Simmons has two more years left and we already have Mark and Shakeem. Ask a few AAU coaches now in the DFW area if current senior post players are interested in signing to sit behind Simmons and rarely be used. It’s going to be difficult for Grant to get a big unless he shows he is willing to play them. Otherwise he will fill that void with Juco bigs that have limited offers. 😕

• Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Simmons has two more years left and we already have Mark and Shakeem. Ask a few AAU coaches now in the DFW area if current senior post players are interested in signing to sit behind Simmons and rarely be used. It’s going to be difficult for Grant to get a big unless he shows he is willing to play them. Otherwise he will fill that void with Juco bigs that have limited offers. 😕

Do you really think a legit big man recruit is going to worry about sitting behind Simmons?  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/7/2019 at 5:02 PM, Andrew said:

To be fair if you were a big would you want to play for a coach that clearly isn’t going to invest in you or give you minutes? 

You are crazy….that's all.  Where do you come up with this stuff? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I am beginning to find it a bit humorous to keep hearing that CUSA is a "guard oriented league" when I see that every team UNT plays in CUSA has a big or two that seems to give our guards "heck" each and every game.  I would love to see a legit "big" on the roster that can take some pressure off our "guard oriented" team.  Simmons is continuing to develop and I fully expect him to be better next season and perhaps not get as tired as the season runs on...he played twice overseas in preseason as you may recall.  Probably played more games in a season than he ever has before, plus he has a bit of a nagging injury (don't they all?).  But, this "guard oriented" league sure seems to have its share of "bigs".  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

7 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

You are crazy….that's all.  Where do you come up with this stuff? 

How many minutes have bigs not names Simmons player this season? High schooler seniors want to come out play for a winner or a team where they will get minutes and feel they are invested in. We haven’t seemed to that in our bigs and it has led to some frustration among many players. That talk gets to AAU coaches and then gets passed down and sometimes the words get twisted, but either way it doesn’t help. 😕 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

7 hours ago, greenminer said:

Can someone clarify what it means to be a combo guard?

My easy, initial thought is that this is a player that can play the 1 through 3 positions, but maybe it’s different from coach to coach, or system to system

Umoja Gibson and Duffy are combo guards, to a degree. They can run the offense in spurts, but are seemingly more comfortable off of the ball. An NBA example of a combo guard that I would give would be Malcolm Brogdon from the Bucks.

Often times you will see a player who is 6’3” or shorter described as a combo guard just because their height more closely resembles that of a traditional point guard, but in reality they are not players who you would want running your offense. Like former Mean Green guard Brandan Walton. He was 6’2” and may have been described as a combo guard in his recruitment but he was not a player who was going to run the offense. He was strictly an off the ball player who was best served catching and shooting as opposed to setting players up.

When I watch Voyles film he looks like an off the ball guard. I wouldn’t describe him as a combo guard and I don’t expect us to have him bringing the ball up the court if we get him. I would expect him to play off the ball and be tasked with scoring the ball, while a guy like Jalen Jackson sets him up.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

On 3/7/2019 at 5:18 PM, jdennis82 said:

For the record, the offer is for lefty combo guard Kevon Voyles (6’3″ combo guard).

In the highlight package below, he appears to have some real range and according to a write up from 2017, he's engaged and energetic on the defensive end.

I know I complain about our players not having enough offers, but this is absolutely a dude who I don’t care what his offer list looks like. Please get him. That stroke looks like James Harden

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:40 AM, KRAM1 said:

I am beginning to find it a bit humorous to keep hearing that CUSA is a "guard oriented league"  

Every member of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team all CUSA was a guard except for Charles Bassey the freshman from WKU. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1