Column: Fine’s legacy is second to one

Skipper

15 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I love Mason, and I love Mean Joe, but we have a long way to go when an article like this is written with a shoutout to Jamize Olawale, but no mention of Abner Haynes.

Not this writer’s fault he doesn’t know the history, of Haynes’ on-field accomplishments here, the AFL, & more importantly, the trail he blazed for minorities across the state of Texas.

We got a statue of Mean Joe at Apogee.  I only hope Abner can see his before it’s too late.

Amen.

Honestly, I think a statue or plaque honoring Abner Haynes and the lesser known Leon King should be somewhere telling their story of breaking the color barrier.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

I opined prior to the Greene statue, that King and Haynes should be the first.  That story goes way beyond athletic greatness. 

Fine may be in line too, but there is another season to play and a lot of years left for that honor.

An aside,  I found this article from the daily a big improvement over their current normal.    

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, greenjoe said:

The sun comes up at DAWN.

The best player to DON the green and white.

Worse than that.  TWO of the  FIRST THREE SENTENCES of the article have mistakes.

"Quarterback Mason Fine is now a senior and will leave the North Texas football having made his mark in multiple ways. For the past two seasons, he has led the Mean Green to bowl appearances nine consecutive seasons wins. Looking at his record as a whole, he’s the makings of the second greatest football player to ever don the Mean Green."