The Green New Deal is not radical, but reactionary to an endangered world

I can't get worked up over cow farts, auto emissions, etc., when there are 300 million of us (mas o menos) versus billions of others in the world who are too ignorant or unable to play along. There is no way we should bankrupt this country to carry the load for them.  Besides, I am more concerned about that gigantic magma pool under Yellowstone that is due to blow or being blindsided by some massive cue ball whizzing out of the Asteroid Belt or a big comet from the Oort Cloud. Just let me suffocate slowly over time.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

24 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

"...now driving the Democratic bus."

Deep you know better than that - Nancy Pelosi drives the bus for the Democratic Party, and she will until 2020.

I agree with almost all the environment planks in the Green New deal.  Climate change is real.  Climate change is mostly driven by anthropogenic release of the greenhouse gas CO2.  Climate change will have dramatic, mostly deleterious, effects on our species &on our world.  97% of trained experts in climate related fields agree with all 3 of these statements.  If you disagree it's not because of the science - it's because of your ideology, your politics, your economic concerns, or your adverse attitude to science (it's disturbing how many climate change deniers also doubt evolution, & believe in a young earth).

We either do something about climate change or our children will suffer.  Our western civilization will be at great risk.  Knowing mankinds history of choosing short-term profit over long-term benefit I'm not very hopeful. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

Maybe Cortez should use her newfound political power to discuss polluting the environment with the Chinese.  You know, the country that makes just about everything in the world.  Those people pollute more than any other country, including the US and Indonesia.  Should the U.S. do their part?  Of course!  The EPA monitors just about every industry that I've ever been around(refinery, petrochemical).

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, GTWT said:

The earth has gone through, I believe, three other cycles of heating and cooling. Why is this never considered and discussed?  Why are we so ready to throw the baby out with the bath water and not consider historical record?

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 3

When I was working I did work at two of the national laboratories in New Mexico.  Both have departments in renewable energy.  When I was in the two departments I discuss with the scientists on how it is going and they said progress has been made but getting 100% of fossil fuels will not happen for a long time if it at all.  So the inventing part is not so easy and money is being spent on developing it.  It will not be as easy as she says.  Since we will be dead in 11.9 years I don't think we will make it.  So retire early if you can enjoy the last 11.9 years on earth.  

If we do not get our spending in check we will have an economic collapse and no one will be a winner.  The government expands beyond what it was attended to do. The only way to attack the national debt is to cut spending and raise taxes.  We have gotten to that point.  This problem has been known for many years but our leaders continue to spend money they don't have.   We don't have leaders that have the guts to face the problem.  Look at what the candidates are promising in the next election.  How the heck are we going to pay for all of it.  If we take all the 1% money it will fund our government for about 90 days, who is next in line.

One of the many statements that have bothered from Cortez is:  We need to give income who can not work (no problem here) but she goes to say we give an income to those unwilling to work (problem there). I don't consider being lazy a disability.

Social Security problems have been well known for years.  I remember a professor at NTSU ( 1978) talking about a Social Security shortfall in the future.  If a little was done then we would not be facing the problem today.

Obama said we had to stop kicking the can down the road and yet he did the same as the others have done in kicking it down the road.  

Nothing in life is free no matter what the leaders in Washington tell you.  We all end up paying the bill in some manner.

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Ortasio-Cortes is, in my humble opinion, an idiot but don'r pretend she's a spokesman for climate science.

The solutions for climate science are complex & will be expensive.  I suspect we'll choose to do nothing & that will be catastrophic.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

ice earth has gone through, I believe, three other cycles of heating and cooling. Why is this never considered and discussed?  Why are we so ready to throw the baby out with the bath water and not consider historical record?

What makes you think previous episodes of climatic change are never considered or discussed?  Every geology text and earth history text discusses these in detail.

The difference between these earlier episodes and today's is that today the cause is anthropogenic.  Which mean we could do something about it if we only had the will.

Edited by GTWT
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Including the ones immigrating here from across the border, right?

Rick

Climate change is global Rick.  What difference does it make which side of the border those children are living on?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

Climate change is global Rick.  What difference does it make which side of the border those children are living on?

True, it really doesn’t matter what soil your standing on, murdering a newborn child is murdering a newborn child and that is what you and your side supports.  At least your consistent.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

16 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

True, it really doesn’t matter what soil your standing on, murdering a newborn child is murdering a newborn child and that is what you and your side supports.  At least your consistent.

Rick

Where did you ever reach the conclusion that I advocate abortion?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, GTWT said:

And there we a real issue - what they are asking for is for the US only. China, India, Russia, etc are not included

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Not just abortion, infanticide.

See...you didn’t get the memo.

Rick

Nonsense.  I said I supported nearly all of the environmental positions of the Green New Deal.  There are other parts I strongly disagree with.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1