CUSA Coaching Jobs Ranked

Philip Ferguson

8 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

North Texas is much too low.  

You think so?

I could maybe contend with FAU, but LaTech, SoMiss, and Marshall all have much more consistency and tradition in winning than we do. I think we're about right. If Baker can keep the train rolling after Seth I might start to move us up more, but we just don't have the consistency yet.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

You think so?

I could maybe contend with FAU, but LaTech, SoMiss, and Marshall all have much more consistency and tradition in winning than we do. I think we're about right. If Baker can keep the train rolling after Seth I might start to move us up more, but we just don't have the consistency yet.

FAU ranked far too high. 4th is reasonable and fair. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

You think so?

If I'm a head coach I look at recruiting, school administration, facilities, and salary for me and my staff.  Consistency and winning tradition only goes so far.  It's a what-have-you-done-lately that matters to recruits.  FAU has no tradition and no fan support.  La Tech is in the middle of no where.  So Miss can't pay their coaches.  Marshall has to rely on questionable "students" to compete.

The top three jobs are probably us, La Tech, and Marshall.  Honestly, if all CUSA teams were trying to hire the same head coach, who would that coach pick?  Right now it would be very difficult for that coach to pass on North Texas. 

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, pastorgrant said:

Only one I take issue with is FAU. UNT should be at least 4th on that list. Big potential and financial commitment from the current admin could bump it up higher depending on how that's factored in.

Hard to discount the Florida recruiting area and the love affair with Kiffin. They also have a recent title - at our expense no less. 

• Upvote 1

I would go with NT,  being a homer.   I do think the past back more than a few years accounts for little.  Salaries, facilities, and support are major factors. The overriding factor is however the chances for success.   

La Tech and USM are limited by both budget and location.   FAU has advantages in recruiting and budget, but also has little support.  Marshall budget and attendance numbers are close to NT. however their head football coach is paid significantly less.   

Maybe the best job is ODU, which has far the biggest budget of any CUSA school and decent support.    

• Upvote 2

I think UTEP should always be dead last on this list. IMO, Rice can be the Stanford or Duke of the G5s with the right coach an administration, just because of their Houston/Texas ties.

The La Tech, USM, Marshall, and WKU combo get good talent, but they are in Podunk markets, which limits your overall potential.

You've got the F_Us, UAB, Charlotte, ODU, and UTSA who are in big cities/markets by themselves but are often looked at as commuter schools or extensions of state schools. This used to be us until recently. They all have great potential, but they either don't draw well or just haven't been able to build any decent momentum for their program to gather decent coverage from both media and fans.

That leaves to me, the two obvious choices for best jobs--MUTS and us. Both have college towns that are within a close proximity of a bigger city, but also have large enrollments and have shown the ability to draw solid crowds with winning teams, not to mention solid administrations that actually like athletics (I still cant believe I am typing this out about us!!)

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 3

17 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I think UTEP should always be dead last on this list. IMO, Rice can be the Stanford or Duke of the G5s with the right coach an administration, just because of their Houston/Texas ties.

The La Tech, USM, Marshall, and WKU combo get good talent, but they are in Podunk markets, which limits your overall potential.

You've got the F_Us, UAB, Charlotte, ODU, and UTSA who are in big cities/markets by themselves but are often looked at as commuter schools or extensions of state schools. This used to be us until recently. They all have great potential, but they either don't draw well or just haven't been able to build any decent momentum for their program to gather decent coverage from both media and fans.

That leaves to me, the two obvious choices for best jobs--MUTS and us. Both have college towns that are within a close proximity of a bigger city, but also have large enrollments and have shown the ability to draw solid crowds with winning teams, not to mention solid administrations that actually like athletics (I still cant believe I am typing this out about us!!)

Rice will probably never be able to be Cusa’s version of Duke or Stanford, Duke makes huge exceptions for their SA’s. Stanford is Stanford. You can’t make it pro, you probably get cherry picked by an alum in the technology sector. Let’s say they can be cusa’s Baylor, but it will be closer to our Vanderbilt. Lol

I would rank us 1, NOW, because of our location, facilities, and current administration. Everyone is right that we are in a very short attention span society now. No recruits (on average) care about anything that schools have done since before they were in 9th grade. 

Controversial founder aside, ODU should be #2 because they have by far the most potential. $$$$$$$$$ 

• Upvote 1

On 2/27/2019 at 3:08 PM, NorthTexan95 said:

If I'm a head coach I look at recruiting, school administration, facilities, and salary for me and my staff.  Consistency and winning tradition only goes so far.  It's a what-have-you-done-lately that matters to recruits.  FAU has no tradition and no fan support.  La Tech is in the middle of no where.  So Miss can't pay their coaches.  Marshall has to rely on questionable "students" to compete.

The top three jobs are probably us, La Tech, and Marshall.  Honestly, if all CUSA teams were trying to hire the same head coach, who would that coach pick?  Right now it would be very difficult for that coach to pass on North Texas. 

Agreed, except La Tech cannot pay what we do. Our location, budget, and recruiting base are second to none in the league. 

• Upvote 1