Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
Skipper

Column: Men’s basketball wasted a perfectly good season

Recommended Posts

The North Texas men’s basketball program began their season with a roaring start of 16-1. Students, faculty and alumni had hopes that this team would  run away with the Conference

View Full Article

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The season ain't over yet, Skippy. 

Yet another moronic article from the NTD.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

The season ain't over yet, Skippy. 

Yet another moronic article from the NTD.

I just go straight to DRC and ignore the Daily.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t take this article too seriously, it’s pretty true and funny at the same time. But I never thought we would be on a 5 game losing streak unless we are just reserving our energy and injuries until the start of the tournament. Who knows, come tournament time we might come out clawing our opponents with a full healthy team. 

Edited by Big Z
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, All About UNT said:

Careful. You don't want to force people to pull their heads out of the sand.

I think the group of people that thought we were actually elite or one of the best 25 teams in the country was very small. We did, however have a chance to boost our profile by getting into the top 25 based on a good record even against weak competition. So from that perspective it was a wasted opportunity. Other than that this team seems to be pretty much what the majority thought it was, especially when the injuries happened. An average CUSA team when the full resume is taken into account. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I think the group of people that thought we were actually elite or one of the best 25 teams in the country was very small. We did, however have a chance to boost our profile by getting into the top 25 based on a good record even against weak competition. So from that perspective it was a wasted opportunity. Other than that this team seems to be pretty much what the majority thought it was, especially when the injuries happened. An average CUSA team when the full resume is taken into account. 

Disagree/ This team is not what I thought it was. They are a flat bad team now that has no idea what to do on offense and are lucky to score a point a minute. The injuries are a contributor but the complete meltdown to the mess we get to watch now is on the coaches.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I think the group of people that thought we were actually elite or one of the best 25 teams in the country was very small. We did, however have a chance to boost our profile by getting into the top 25 based on a good record even against weak competition. So from that perspective it was a wasted opportunity. Other than that this team seems to be pretty much what the majority thought it was, especially when the injuries happened. An average CUSA team when the full resume is taken into account. 

Valid points Matt. I just remember so many bitching about how Texas was ranked and we weren't and how there was some conspiracy against North Texas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Daily these days seems to try very hard to show UNT in a bad light every chance it gets.  And, they wonder why they have a bit of "funding" issue. And, good grief, who proofreads these articles before they are printed? They might want to rename the paper "The Daily Muliti-Typo".

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

The Daily these days seems to try very hard to show UNT in a bad light every chance it gets.  And, they wonder why they have a bit of "funding" issue. And, good grief, who proofreads these articles before they are printed? They might want to rename the paper "The Daily Muliti-Typo".

They always have when it comes to athletics, but I don’t really have too much of an issue with the premise here, although I won’t read one of their articles, so aim going by the column title.. The last half of CUSA play has been a dumpster fire. 

That said, I’m of the opinion that a college newspaper that has traditionally loathed our athletic department’s existence isn’t a source of information that i would read or take serious. It’s really not worth anybody’s time, except for that group out there that still reads newspapers—which dwindles down more and more every day. And I seriously doubt very many read the NT Daily online, so it makes sense for this entire operation to eventually go away.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are very few if any fans who thought NT would run away with the conference.  

As far as the Daily, they had a very good group of sport writers in the not too distance past, were people were commenting that they wish that the DRC was that good.  

The current group just are not up to the task.  Their opinions on the NT teams isn't the issue as much as their limited knowledge of  college sports.   Some of these articles suggest they write without even watching the games, just a quick glance at the box score if that  is enough. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know anything about coaching basketball and maybe so one on here is and can answer this question.   We seem to run the clock down many times in the game only to end up taking a bad shot.  I have seen it too often this season.  Won't it be better to work for an open shot no matter if the clock at 29 seconds or 10 seconds?  We seem to sit at the top of the key killing the clock and run it down to nothing and we force our shots.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I don't know anything about coaching basketball and maybe so one on here is and can answer this question.   We seem to run the clock down many times in the game only to end up taking a bad shot.  I have seen it too often this season.  Won't it be better to work for an open shot no matter if the clock at 29 seconds or 10 seconds?  We seem to sit at the top of the key killing the clock and run it down to nothing and we force our shots.  

I don't think we run it down on purpose...

 

I think it's more that we just can't find a good look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2019 at 11:39 AM, KRAM1 said:

The Daily these days seems to try very hard to show UNT in a bad light every chance it gets.  And, they wonder why they have a bit of "funding" issue. And, good grief, who proofreads these articles before they are printed? They might want to rename the paper "The Daily Muliti-Typo".

You do realize its not the Daily's job to always paint UNT in a good light? They're not a PR arm of the university. It's ridiculous that UNT is trying to cut their funding when journalism has always been a bright spot for UNT and has produced some of our best alumni. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

You do realize its not the Daily's job to always paint UNT in a good light? They're not a PR arm of the university. It's ridiculous that UNT is trying to cut their funding when journalism has always been a bright spot for UNT and has produced some of our best alumni. 

Yep...and nor is it their job to constantly print articles that show UNT in a bad light and never get UNT’s side of the story. Constantly biting the hand that feeds you eventually has a way of “returning the favor”. There is a fair and middle ground. However, the Daily seems to forget that. So, is that what our journalism majors are being taught these days? 

And, could we chat a bit about the possibility of proof-reading to possibly eliminate the mountains of typos in every edition? Are they not being taught about the benefits of proofreading before publishing? 

If the Daily is a training ground, let’s train them to BE journalists, and not “National Enquirer” writers.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

You do realize its not the Daily's job to always paint UNT in a good light? They're not a PR arm of the university. It's ridiculous that UNT is trying to cut their funding when journalism has always been a bright spot for UNT and has produced some of our best alumni. 

Actually, it should be a PR arm of the university. You don't pay for that paper via subscription. It is funded solely by the university. If there is something to be uncovered or to be fought, its the job of these awesome journalists at the DRC, DMN, or the FWST, since they are actually paid to do jobs that are meant to get eyeballs. 

The job of a college newspaper should always be to just report on university dealings only and to help market the university to its students, faculty, and alumni. Nothing else--its been incredibly telling at just how poorly we have allowed the NT Daily report on our athletic department. Finally, the administration seems to finally get that winning teams in sports that matter actually brings in $$$ and connectivity to the school. A spare college article or editorial only costs you money, nothing else.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2019 at 8:54 AM, untjim1995 said:

They always have when it comes to athletics, but I don’t really have too much of an issue with the premise here, although I won’t read one of their articles, so aim going by the column title.. The last half of CUSA play has been a dumpster fire. 

That said, I’m of the opinion that a college newspaper that has traditionally loathed our athletic department’s existence isn’t a source of information that i would read or take serious. It’s really not worth anybody’s time, except for that group out there that still reads newspapers—which dwindles down more and more every day. And I seriously doubt very many read the NT Daily online, so it makes sense for this entire operation to eventually go away.

You realize we have a well respected journalism department and this is part of their education, correct?  Note: well respected journalism is not something I thought I would actually write in this day and age. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

You realize we have a well respected journalism department and this is part of their education, correct?  Note: well respected journalism is not something I thought I would actually write in this day and age. 

It may be well respected, but it doesn’t have to run down the existence of our sports teams. There’s nothing respectable about that at a college newspaper.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

It may be well respected, but it doesn’t have to run down the existence of our sports teams. There’s nothing respectable about that at a college newspaper.

And I agree with this 100%.  What I was commenting on was your last sentence that stated the entire operation should be done away with.

Edited by UNTLifer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...