Caleb Chumley no longer with the team

TheReal_jayD

5 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Seems like Chumley has been at UNT for 10 years.  Maybe he received his a degree and moved on???

Not quite.  He came on in Mac's last year and redshirt in 2015.

I have no actual info, but my speculation is that the new coaching staff may have not been interested in him or vice versa.  From everything I've seen and read, hes a great athlete, so I am disappointed.  Reeder likes TEs, so this move really surprises me considering how few we have on the roster unless there was something else behind the scenes that we are unaware of.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 1

Just because NT hired a coach and named him the tight end coach, does not necessarily mean the tight end position is going to be emphasized anymore than other Littrell years.   Does anyone really think NT hired a full time coach to only be involved with one position and at this time two scholarship players?

A lot of football coach titles are more associated with the pay range than their actual duties. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not sure what all the moping around is for.    Chumley barely contributed. 

He likely graduated and was ready to move on.   

Smith is the man at TE, and I bet we'll get Chumley's production, if not more, from our new Freshman TE - Alberding.

Cole McCrary is an interesting player to watch. He was really raw out of high school but after a year in the system and in the weight room I want to see what he can do.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not sure what all the moping around is for.    Chumley barely contributed. 

He likely graduated and was ready to move on.   

Smith is the man at TE, and I bet we'll get Chumley's production, if not more, from our new Freshman TE - Alberding.

I was excited to see what he might accomplish this season. Remember he was a HS quarterback that several P5s wanted as a TE, including Oregon. So often, high schools out their best athlete at Qb and that was likely the case with Chumley.  He wasted a couple years buried in the depth chart at Wb here, so this year would have been similar to his junior year, developmentally speaking, which is often when players break out. Plus he had ideal size - and you can’t teach size. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, 97and03 said:

I was excited to see what he might accomplish this season. Remember he was a HS quarterback that several P5s wanted as a TE, including Oregon. So often, high schools out their best athlete at Qb and that was likely the case with Chumley.  He wasted a couple years buried in the depth chart at Wb here, so this year would have been similar to his junior year, developmentally speaking, which is often when players break out. Plus he had ideal size - and you can’t teach size. 

Sure.   But there was no way he would usurp Smith on the depth chart, and this is not a 2 TE system.

10 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Not quite.  He came on in Mac's last year and redshirt in 2015.

I have no actual info, but my speculation is that the new coaching staff may have not been interested in him or vice versa.  From everything I've seen and read, hes a great athlete, so I am disappointed.  Reeder likes TEs, so this move really surprises me considering how few we have on the roster unless there was something else behind the scenes that we are unaware of.

I think he greyshirted in there somewhere too.

On 2/24/2019 at 10:00 PM, UNTLifer said:

Hate to see him go.  Felt like he was under utilized due to his size and athletic ability and hope he made the right decision for himself.  I wish him well in the future.  Time for the next man to step up.

You ever watch the guy block?  He did it to himself by not being very physical at all.  Hope he lands on his feet because the guy had the ability to be a guy who played in the league if he figured out the blocking aspect of the game. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

You ever watch the guy block?  He did it to himself by not being very physical at all.  Hope he lands on his feet because the guy had the ability to be a guy who played in the league if he figured out the blocking aspect of the game. 

I did, and would agree with your comment 100%.  Being under utilized was more his fault than the coaches.  Too bad, because he has the physical tools to be great, meaning size and athletic ability.  He has to put that to use.

Edited by UNTLifer

I am a big fan of using tight ends as a piece of the puzzle and truly wish we would utilize our tight ends more in the offense...I think Mason would run the bootleg pass to the tight end well for a TD most every game instead of us trying to run it over the middle on third and 3-4 for inside the ten.  Just me.  I like tight ends...hello Jason Whitten!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1