New OC and TE Coach = ???

97and03

A few posts had me thinking about how our offense might change a bit next year.  Primarily, I wondered about what these new coaching hires might mean for our TEs.  We have two very talented senior TEs, who have been greatly underutilized, in my opinion, especially given their obvious athletic gifts.  I don't think anyone could ask more from Smith, or as they call him - Mr. Versatile  Chumley has all the things you would want: size, speed, and athleticism.  Thus far, that talent has not translated onto the field.  Not sure if it is because there are not enough opportunities for a TE in this system and those are taken my Smith, or if he just hasn't put it all together yet due to his late start at the position.  Add to that a new addition this fall in the person of the well-regarded Alberding, whose signing would indicate that the staff still values the position. (Honestly, one had to wonder since they had not signed a TE and all players behind the SRs were walk-ons, IIRC.)

Add to the mix the hiring of the new OC and a TE coach (in lieu of another WR coach as we had before), and one has to wonder if the TE might play a more prominent role.  I have seen this suggested a couple of times in the forum, and I want to subscribe to this point of view.  One reason for pause, however, has to be the background of this particular TE coach, who until recently was an OL coach and was an offensive lineman as a player.  Does this perhaps then signal that Coach Mayes was brought in primarily to enhance the run-blocking ability of our TEs instead of involve them more heavily in the passing game?

I am interested in hearing the thoughts of those with a greater football and/or coaching insight than my admitted limited knowledge.

• Upvote 3

I would LOVE it if Seth used Smith, Chumley (and perhaps the freshman) the way Dickey used his TE’s.  Andy Blount was a matchup nightmare for a lot of teams, and though he didn’t make a bunch of receptions he made explosive plays when he would release out as a receiver.

https://meangreensports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1838

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2

IMHO, the TE position has been laying dormant much too long!

I lost count of the number times that I saw Chumley wide open for a pass play that rarely came his way. When a pass was targeted towards Chumley he made the catch, even in heavy traffic.

I believe the new OC Reeder and TE's coach Mayes will incorporate the TE in the 2019 offense.

Smith and Chumley are super stars in my opinion, that MUST be used in the offense.

I also suspect that OC Reeder discussed and then asked HFC Littrell,  to hire a TE coach instead of another WR coach. Maybe coincidence or maybe not, that a new TE's coach was hired!

I am excited for Smith and Chumley to have many more pass catching opportunities in the offense instead of blocking schemes!

• Upvote 4

I agree our TE production could be better. But, I think if it were to evolve, the TE position could be better utilized.

For the past two seasons I have been thinking we have the talent to adjust our TE's into H-backs. As a hybrid, the player could line up as a full back (to block for the RB or help in pass protection, or chip block and run a hot route on a blitz), or go into motion and end up on either side of the line as a TE (to block for the running game/pass protection, or become an extra receiver). These hybrids really make it tough for defenses to sub in the right personnel, and would offer Fine more options in the passing game, as well as providing more protection in the pocket. I have not seen any evidence of this wrinkle in our new offensive coordinator's scheme while at EWU, but I'm still hoping to see it added to our system.

• Upvote 2

On 2/22/2019 at 8:55 PM, 97and03 said:

A few posts had me thinking about how our offense might change a bit next year.  Primarily, I wondered about what these new coaching hires might mean for our TEs.  We have two very talented senior TEs, who have been greatly underutilized, in my opinion, especially given their obvious athletic gifts.  I don't think anyone could ask more from Smith, or as they call him - Mr. Versatile  Chumley has all the things you would want: size, speed, and athleticism.  Thus far, that talent has not translated onto the field.  Not sure if it is because there are not enough opportunities for a TE in this system and those are taken my Smith, or if he just hasn't put it all together yet due to his late start at the position.  Add to that a new addition this fall in the person of the well-regarded Alberding, whose signing would indicate that the staff still values the position. (Honestly, one had to wonder since they had not signed a TE and all players behind the SRs were walk-ons, IIRC.)

Add to the mix the hiring of the new OC and a TE coach (in lieu of another WR coach as we had before), and one has to wonder if the TE might play a more prominent role.  I have seen this suggested a couple of times in the forum, and I want to subscribe to this point of view.  One reason for pause, however, has to be the background of this particular TE coach, who until recently was an OL coach and was an offensive lineman as a player.  Does this perhaps then signal that Coach Mayes was brought in primarily to enhance the run-blocking ability of our TEs instead of involve them more heavily in the passing game?

I am interested in hearing the thoughts of those with a greater football and/or coaching insight than my admitted limited knowledge.

Just as an FYI, Coach Mayes coached Keenan Brown last year for TX ST, and he is considered one of the top TE prospect in the draft. Here are his stats from last year:

51 Catches, 577 yards(11.3 yds/catch), 5 touchdowns

8 rushes for 75 yards(9.4 Average), 2 touchdowns.

Brown was easily the best player on that team last year and it wasn't close. Granted he came from a P5 in OK State, but didn't play until he got to TX ST.

I think we will be very happy with our TE production this year.

On 2/23/2019 at 7:47 AM, Side Show Joe said:

I agree our TE production could be better. But, I think if it were to evolve, the TE position could be better utilized.

For the past two seasons I have been thinking we have the talent to adjust our TE's into H-backs. As a hybrid, the player could line up as a full back (to block for the RB or help in pass protection, or chip block and run a hot route on a blitz), or go into motion and end up on either side of the line as a TE (to block for the running game/pass protection, or become an extra receiver). These hybrids really make it tough for defenses to sub in the right personnel, and would offer Fine more options in the passing game, as well as providing more protection in the pocket. I have not seen any evidence of this wrinkle in our new offensive coordinator's scheme while at EWU, but I'm still hoping to see it added to our system.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/chalk-talk-why-bodie-reeder-should-be-osus-next-offensive-coordinator/

Reeder uses the tight ends in a number of different ways, whether it be in the backfield, in the slot or on the line. This would work well with OSU and the Cowboy Back position, which is meant to move around as a utility player.

Look at how he features the tight end in some run-pass options:

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/22/2019 at 8:55 PM, 97and03 said:

On 2/22/2019 at 10:55 PM, emmitt01 said:

I would LOVE it if Seth used Smith, Chumley (and perhaps the freshman) the way Dickey used his TE’s.  Andy Blount was a matchup nightmare for a lot of teams, and though he didn’t make a bunch of receptions he made explosive plays when he would release out as a receiver.

https://meangreensports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1838

Chumley is no longer on the team. 

• Sad 1

On 2/24/2019 at 12:00 PM, MGNation92 said:

Thanks for posting this. I had not seen much of his offense on tape. This is very interesting stuff. I'm even more excited about this hire now.

I think a lot of the plays will keep Mason from getting hit so much. Side note I didnt think you blend in with the field.  That red on red is hard to watch.  Thank goodness our colors are green, white and sometimes black.  That brings us to the time of the year when we discuss uniforms ....lol.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2019 at 10:55 PM, emmitt01 said:

Andy Blount was a matchup nightmare for a lot of teams, and though he didn’t make a bunch of receptions he made explosive plays when he would release out as a receiver.

I really like the idea of what an Andy Blount type of player could do in this offense.  Blount was more of a big receiver that converted to tight end.  Also played some H-Back. Very good player in the Dickey regime.

Remember that Seth loves using the tight end and has used them a lot at his other coaching stops.  His last North Carolina team ran more than they threw.  I think us not using the tight end more in the previous three season might have to do with depth at the position but mostly due to Harrell and is background.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I really like the idea of what an Andy Blount type of player could do in this offense.  Blount was more of a big receiver that converted to tight end.  Also played some H-Back. Very good player in the Dickey regime.

Note that Pirtle is now listed as a TE. 

• Upvote 1