DRC: From deep to playing with six, the tale of UNT's tough luck, tough decisions

Brett Vito

The good news is I guess there is a chance of getting the players back on the court this season.   McCasland is downplaying the situation and of course they are not going to give out any real injury information.  

Right now NT is a horrible situation, continue on using 6 players and risk losing another due to no game rest or remove redshirts for very few games. 

McCasland is probably making the right move because the team is not going to win without Woolridge and the others anyway, even burning some redshirts.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Well this - “We came into the season feeling like we had way too many guys,” McCasland said. - explains a lot. I bet he wishes he had a do over on that. He therefore didn't get guys on the floor and now he is paying for it.

I believe that is why he didn’t recruit hard. I would love someone who could recruit like Benford and get fired up and coach like Mcasland. I hope next season we see a revamped roster and some bigger recruits coming in, but I haven’t heard anything positive on the recruiting front other than another small guard. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I believe that is why he didn’t recruit hard. I would love someone who could recruit like Benford and get fired up and coach like Mcasland. I hope next season we see a revamped roster and some bigger recruits coming in, but I haven’t heard anything positive on the recruiting front other than another small guard. 

You say a revamped roster, please clarify on what you mean. To me it means you have significant turnover in the roster. Duffy, Arikawe, and Miller are leaving due to graduation/run out of eligibility. Who else would you encourage to "move on" to bring in some fresh faces?

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

You say a revamped roster, please clarify on what you mean. To me it means you have significant turnover in the roster. Duffy, Arikawe, and Miller are leaving due to graduation/run out of eligibility. Who else would you encourage to "move on" to bring in some fresh faces?

I haven’t seen anything from Alcindor or Mark to show me they have a vital roll on this team next season. I saw someone infur that Smart won’t be back, but I am never a fan of letting a senior go because that scholarship will feee up at the end of the year anyway. I am also 50/50 on Jamiah Simmons. He hasn’t made the impact I thought he would have. If you throw him there that would 6 available scholarship. That’s just under half the team on scholarship. That’s pretty significant turnover. 

FYI I bleed green and love what Mcasland has done. We are in a much better place, but we haven’t had a massive recruit land here. I haven’t seen the excitement surrounding guys like Jordan Williams, Chris Jones, Tony Michell, Reese, TJTaylor, Keith Frazier or Ryan Woolridge. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I haven’t seen anything from Alcindor or Mark to show me they have a viral roll on this team next season. I saw someone infur that Smart won’t be back, but I am never a fan of letting a senior go because that scholarship will feee up at the end of the year anyway. I am also 50/50 on Jamiah Simmons. He hasn’t made the impact I thought he would have. If you throw him there that would 6 available scholarship. That’s just under half the team on scholarship. That’s pretty significant turnover. 

FYI I bleed green and love what Mcasland has done. We are in a much better place, but we haven’t had a massive recruit land here. I haven’t seen the excitement surrounding guys like Jordan Williams, Chris Jones, Tony Michell, Reese, TJTaylor, Keith Frazier or Ryan Woolridge. 

348s.jpg

• Skeptical Eagle 1