NT Daily - "Column: As good as gone"

peanuts104

Ummmm...did nobody see this opinion piece posted last week?  I generally don't disagree with the criticism, but the title is a very bold proclamation.  For positives, the writing is better than most NT Daily articles.  Still, I don't like the tone of the article and the assumption of Littrell's departure next year...even if I would agree that it is more likely than not.

If there was already a topic on this article I'll delete it, but I didn't see one and I went back a couple of pages.

https://www.ntdaily.com/column-as-good-as-gone/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9c97c47bfa0f3db468e6d2ec08bc0902c6b70d20

He was already gone. We were just fortunate that Snyder f’d it up for KSU. Richie Sexton doesn’t want his clients making G5 money because he doesn’t want to be making G5 commissions. If he was here to stay he wouldn’t be peeking up skirts every offseason. The main point that cannot be argued is that he was in Manhattan ready to take the job. He was (and will he again very soon) GONE. I’m just waiting to see who the Wren will bring in for a replacement 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

This is part of the #OldDenton defeatism.

I will enjoy the year he is 'gone' while he is here. And see where he 'goes' next year. I take it as a win SL is here, and not elsewhere. And whenever he goes, I won't take it personal. We are in a different place now, at least in part because of him. And we are going UP from here, regardless of who is in the chair.

GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

This is part of the #OldDenton defeatism.

I will enjoy the year he is 'gone' while he is here. And see where he 'goes' next year. I take it as a win SL is here, and not elsewhere. And whenever he goes, I won't take it personal. We are in a different place now, at least in part because of him. And we are going UP from here, regardless of who is in the chair.

GMG

Your self-esteem is far too high.  Learn to understand that you were just the starter wife and life will be so much easier. #OldDenton

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

9c97c47bfa0f3db468e6d2ec08bc0902c6b70d20

He was already gone. We were just fortunate that Snyder f’d it up for KSU. Richie Sexton doesn’t want his clients making G5 money because he doesn’t want to be making G5 commissions. If he was here to stay he wouldn’t be peeking up skirts every offseason. The main point that cannot be argued is that he was in Manhattan ready to take the job. He was (and will he again very soon) GONE. I’m just waiting to see who the Wren will bring in for a replacement 

Yup. 

I think he knows he's gone. And I think Fat Jimmy has already told him what his most likely suitors are for the upcoming offseason. I just hope he prepares THIS team to win football games like he did the first 5 weeks of last season and not like he did the last 5 weeks of the season (when he started taking flyers). 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yup. 

I think he knows he's gone. And I think Fat Jimmy has already told him what his most likely suitors are for the upcoming offseason. I just hope he prepares THIS team to win football games like he did the first 5 weeks of last season and not like he did the last 5 weeks of the season (when he started taking flyers). 

That was always something in the back of my head... Was Seth already looking ahead to greener pastures in the second half of the season, which lead to some of our losses?

I know ultimately Ws and Ls are on the head coach... Lets hope hes focused in this year... all year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yup. 

Any ideas on suitors?

• Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

That was always something in the back of my head... Was Seth already looking ahead to greener pastures in the second half of the season, which lead to some of our losses?

I know ultimately Ws and Ls are on the head coach... Lets hope hes focused in this year... all year.

First of all, I can't understand a down vote for an opinion that is basic common sense.

Second of all, if SL wants to move up the food chain, rather than stay and take/push North Texas up the food chain, then he DAMN SURE BETTER FOCUS. Because as much as he has done well here at North Texas, he has not finished well. And finishing well is what gets you hired by programs well up the food chain.

AND if 2019 ends like 2018, it's my humble opinion that our REAL AD. (unlike the unreal AD we used to have) will have a "come to Jesus" meeting with him and say something that Queen Victoria (yes, I've been watching the series on PBS) would have said......"we are not amused"

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

AND if 2019 ends like 2018, it's my humble opinion that our REAL AD. (unlike the unreal AD we used to have) will have a "come to Jesus" meeting with him and say something that Queen Victoria (yes, I've been watching the series on PBS) would have said......"we are not amused"

Yeah, he's done such a horrible job here bringing us to three  bowl games in 3 years and having a solid winning record the past two seasons from when we WENT 1 AND 11 IN 2015.  We are not that far removed from that blunder of a season and the turnaround he has orchestrated is nothing short of a damn good job well done, bowl season and end of the season "woes" aside.  Next year without Harrell calling plays will an interesting year I think in terms of how we finish games and how we finish the season.

• Upvote 1

I don’t normally like their articles but I don’t see an issue with the writing, little forceful but is he wrong? Littrell has had huge issues in 2nd half adjustments and it has shown throughout his time here. I do believe if we make another bowl next year he will leave for a new job taking most of the staff with him even though he still hasn’t won a bowl game or conference championship. 

49 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Yeah, he's done such a horrible job here bringing us to three  bowl games in 3 years and having a solid winning record the past two seasons from when we WENT 1 AND 11 IN 2015.  We are not that far removed from that blunder of a season and the turnaround he has orchestrated is nothing short of a damn good job well done, bowl season and end of the season "woes" aside.  Next year without Harrell calling plays will an interesting year I think in terms of how we finish games and how we finish the season.

We did well in the first bowl game when there was almost zero chance he would get a job elsewhere after the season. Each bowl game thereafter, with him being a hot name in the coaching carousel, we got DESTROYED! Absolutely taken apart, both times. Not to mention the asskicking we got in the CUSA champ game against FAU or the struggle we had to beat a 3-8 ntUTSack team by 3 points the last game of this year.

Maybe he wasn’t looking ahead in these instances but it sure seems like it. A similar situation is going on with basketball. Who is McCasland’s agent?

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

59 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

I'm sorry, but where did you pull the word "horrible" out of my post? Are you one of those people that is so sensitive that anyone making even a suggestion on how you might improve in anything suddenly becomes a "hater"? 

Anyway, we've already had a coach that took us to multiple bowl games (4), and we won only one of them. He also set some pretty impressive records in winning consistent conference games, and back-to-back national rushing champs. And yet there was only one year (2003) that attendance was noticeably higher than the other three. The other bowl years looked pretty much the same......attendance wise.

What was missing in those years is what I call a "hill'a beans" win(s). In other words "how many wins did you have that amounted to a "hill'a beans?" In the four years of that bowl run 2001-2004 the only one was Baylor in 2003. But then, Baylor got beat by everyone that year. 

Our hill'a beans" wins were SMU and Arkansas. But that was pretty much wiped out by our losses to La Tech,  UAB and Old Dominion (not to mention almost losing to Rice, UTEP and UTSA) in the second half of the season. And the exclamation point on our late season swoon was delivered by UTAH St..........just like it was the year before (after our two ass kickings by FAU) by Troy in the NO bowl.  

We've run up some impressive stats, but as the New England head coach said at a press conference back in 2016....

Belichick told the media, “You know how I feel about stats. Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners.”

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I'm sorry, but where did you pull the word "horrible" out of my post? Are you one of those people that is so sensitive that anyone making even a suggestion on how you might improve in anything suddenly becomes a "hater"? 

Anyway, we've already had a coach that took us to multiple bowl games (4), and we won only one of them. He also set some pretty impressive records in winning consistent conference games, and back-to-back national rushing champs. And yet there was only one year (2003) that attendance was noticeably higher than the other three. The other bowl years looked pretty much the same......attendance wise.

What was missing in those years is what I call a "hill'a beans" win(s). In other words "how many wins did you have that amounted to a "hill'a beans?" In the four years of that bowl run 2001-2004 the only one was Baylor in 2003. But then, Baylor got beat by everyone that year. 

Our hill'a beans" wins were SMU and Arkansas. But that was pretty much wiped out by our losses to La Tech,  UAB and Old Dominion (not to mention almost losing to Rice, UTEP and UTSA) in the second half of the season. And the exclamation point on our late season swoon was delivered by UTAH St..........just like it was the year before (after our two ass kickings by FAU) by Troy in the NO bowl.  

We've run up some impressive stats, but as the New England head coach said at a press conference back in 2016....

This is spot on, Littrell has been a great coach here for the most part but because he brought us up from the trenches we don’t have to worship him? He said his goal was to win championships and bowls and yet hasn’t delivered any of those! It’s not being a hater to point out that we underachieved last year. 

Personally I contribute it to lack of 2nd half adjustments and predictable play calling. At points I thought they snuck Scott Linehan a headset. We need to still hold him and his staff acountable for bad losses. 

Edited by CoachChop
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Any ideas on suitors?

Unless some unexpected seasons take place look for these openings: 

Auburn

USC

Illinois

Indiana

Rutgers

What would be surprising firings, but very possible: 

South Carolina

Vanderbilt

Arizona

Not probable, but possible 2nd year head coaches being sent packing: 

FSU

UCLA

Then the surprising retiree of X coach (maybe Duke or Michigan State, etc) as well as the guaranteed surprising firing that will inevitably take place. Then universities plucking current head coaches that creates other vacancies. 

Point is, this off-season was pretty calm in regards to the revolving door. Look for it to be more chaotic next off-season. And Jimmy boy will be front row and center. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Auburn

USC

Illinois

Indiana

Rutgers

South Carolina

Vanderbilt

Arizona

FSU

UCLA

Then the surprising retiree of X coach (maybe Duke or Michigan State, etc) as well as the guaranteed surprising firing that will inevitably take place. Then universities plucking current head coaches that creates other vacancies. 

Point is, this off-season was pretty calm in regards to the revolving door. Look for it to be more chaotic next off-season. And Jimmy boy will be front row and center. 

With the Maniford promotion is he our coach in waiting?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CoachChop said:

This is spot on, Littrell has been a great coach here more the most part but because he brought us up from the trenches we don’t have to worship him? He said his goal was to win championships and bowls and yet hasn’t delivered any of those! It’s not being a hater to point out that we underachieved last year. 

Personally I contribute it to lack of 2nd half adjustments and predictable play calling. At points I thought they snuck Scott Linehan a headset. We need to still hold him and his staff acountable for bad losses. 

Yes to all. 

I am of the party that agree's that SL has been a great coach and will be gone next year because of what he has been able to accomplish here...and by accomplish I mean the turn around of the program. I know that championships and bowl wins are the key trump card to measure a program, but having a consistent 8-9 game winner at our level is quite the feather in the hat for SL considering of what UNT has been in the past. 

But for those who say SL won't go anywhere until he wins a bowl or conference championship seem to ignore all he has accomplished here. To say he hasn't really won anything and that's why he won't move on is laughable. It's equally laughable to leave the FAU championship game loss solely at his feet. I mean, is anyone going to seriously say that UNT had equal or better talent than FAU that year. I would say FAU had considerably better talent considering that we got destroyed twice by them...it wasn't a fluke that can be simply explained by being out-coached. Also, who will sit here and honestly say we had better talent than Utah St who had been ranked high for quite a while last year? Also, losing Mason Fine early on dug us a giant hole. Again, can't place that loss solely on SL's shoulders.

To summarize, while I agree championships would complete his resume, to point to a few losses, which could be explained by a lack of talent/game play calls by other coaches, in big games and regular season as the reason he isn't worthy of a decent P5 gig is a joke. It's almost as if some of you guys think we haven't been down right terrible most of our existence and we are some sort of blueblood.

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Auburn

USC

Illinois

Indiana

Rutgers

South Carolina

Vanderbilt

Arizona

FSU

UCLA

Of that first list (the almost sure thing openings) I see only Indiana, Illinois and Rutgers as reasonable options.  9 wins is impressive to US given our past, but I don’t see USC or Auburn being impressed with late season collapses or bowl blowouts.  

And of those three I don’t see a single one that says “chance to keep advancing afterward.”  None of the three will surpass Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio St, (or maybe even Nebraska) anytime soon.

• Upvote 1