"SPECIAL" TRIPS FOR TEAMS

El Paso Eagle

Just saw, on Footballscoom.com, Michigan will be taking their annual Spring team trip to South Africa (France and Italy the last two years).

The trip is a "team bonding" paid for by supports, mainly one person.

Just wonder how this falls under the rules (and yes, I understand the same rules do not apply to all)?

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Just saw, on Footballscoom.com, Michigan will be taking their annual Spring team trip to South Africa (France and Italy the last two years).

The trip is a "team bonding" paid for by supports, mainly one person.

Just wonder how this falls under the rules (and yes, I understand the same rules do not apply to all)?

I would say that it's pushing the limits where donor rules are concerned.  Paid vacation for the team, by an Alum.  Doesn't sound proper.

• Upvote 2

If you donate to an educational foundation that pays for the trip for educational purposes say a 10-14 week study abroad program for the football team, you are within the NCAA rules.  (you are bending them pretty good but you have not crossed the line)

I love that Harbaugh is thinking outside the box to win the recruiting and retention battle.  I only wish I had the money to do this for the Mean Green.  

I expect to see a rule against this before next year.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, ipd054 said:

If you donate to an educational foundation that pays for the trip for educational purposes say a 10-14 week study abroad program for the football team, you are within the NCAA rules.  (you are bending them pretty good but you have not crossed the line)

I love that Harbaugh is thinking outside the box to win the recruiting and retention battle.  I only wish I had the money to do this for the Mean Green.  

I expect to see a rule against this before next year.

Not sure as to why you believe there will be a rule next year as opposed to this year or last? This is the 3rd year they have been doing these trips. 

I think this is bending the rules, but is good experience for the players in general. But it's doing something, financially, that gives them a recruiting and branding advantage. Programs financially stacked as Michigan could afford this, and that's it. Unfortunately, it needs to stop. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

I believe there will be a rule because one was passed to stop his spring practices in remote locations in 17 and a rule was passed to eliminate trips during the school year I think last year, after he took the team without practice to France.  This year he is taking them during the summer break.  Logic follows that a new rule is on the way.

NASHVILLE – Though it won’t officially be called the “Jim Harbaugh Rule,” the NCAA’s five power conferences passed a measure Friday ending trips like the one he took over spring break with the Michigan football team at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., last March.

• Thanks 2