GMG Interview with 4 Star QB Brendon Lewis

TheReal_jayD

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

His comments, especially the ones about coach Reeder, lend cautious optimism.

Ya I would love to get him, his brother and twin friends who all grew up together and play at Melissa. Be an awesome group to have as DBs below. Look them up when you get a chance. 

BJ Lewis 

Chance Mapps

Chase Mapps

This is positive stuff. Landing a kid of this caliber and for him to come in and be a game changer would be ideal and if he lives up to the hype would propel us to UCF status. 

But if Mississippi State and Nebraska, etc are in on him and really wants him, a bag man will be at his door soon enough to wrap up that commitment. Maybe even a new shiny job for mom and dad with a probable Tahoe with a bow on top. It's just how things are done and there is nothing we can do about it and apparently nothing the NCAA will do about it. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This is positive stuff. Landing a kid of this caliber and for him to come in and be a game changer would be ideal and if he lives up to the hype would propel us to UCF status. 

But if Mississippi State and Nebraska, etc are in on him and really wants him, a bag man will be at his door soon enough to wrap up that commitment. Maybe even a new shiny job for mom and dad with a probable Tahoe with a bow on top. It's just how things are done and there is nothing we can do about it and apparently nothing the NCAA will do about it. 

And if he asks NT to beat that hypothetical "offer", we'd better tell him "bye".    I'm proud that NT has never ever been under NCAA sanctions for that kind of conduct.   And I don't want to start now.

• Upvote 5

Good kid and I’m pleased with the positive things he and his father said about us. However, the cynic in me says that while it is possible he signs to play for Coach Littrell, it won’t be at UNT. Let’s be real here, if not for Bill Snyder’s meddling, SL would already be gone. His super agent will find him a new home. As Wren says, a handshake and thanks for what you’ve done is almost certainly in our near future 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And if he asks NT to beat that hypothetical "offer", we'd better tell him "bye".    I'm proud that NT has never ever been under NCAA sanctions for that kind of conduct.   And I don't want to start now.

I agree. 

The issue is not with what UNT is or is not willing to do. The issue is what the NCAA isn't willing to do. And that's to push swift consequences onto offenders of the NCAA bylaws. They pick and choose or only get involved if the federal government aims their magnifying glass on it or if the public outcry is too loud to ignore. Too often 18 year old kids are flashing stacks of cash and shiny new cars on Facebook, instagram, etc. and the NCAA doesn't even lift a phone. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/dont-punish-alabama-for-alleged-actions-of-ex-player-middleman/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/candid-coaches-revealing-how-many-teams-cheat-commit-major-violations/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/anonymous-coach-believes-sec-cheats-conference/

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2015/09/scoring_grades_how_schools_cheat_to_keep_athletes.html

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/08/anonymous_coaches_in_the_sec_8.html

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/07/08/more-dozen-athletic-programs-have-committed-academic-fraud-last-decade-more-likely

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/blair-kerkhoff/article116893433.html

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/20/arian-foster-admits-getting-money-in-college/

This one below is a particularly good read especially for the fans unaware of what a bag man is and what their role is:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

And the list goes on and on and on and on...

Sometimes the NCAA acts, often times they don't. When they do, it's a smack in the back of the head at most. And it's usually redacted down to lesser penalties a la Ole Miss and Penn State. 

Cheating is rampant. There are countless documentaries, articles, receipts, transactions, first hand interviews, etc. that proves it is very alive and well.  The NCAA, due to their inaction, has proven they just don't care. So the big question is how do we compete with this? Or even how do the inferior "P5" programs compete with this. Even though their cheating is well documented in some cases, just not as frequent or egregious. How do they compete with this? The NCAA turning a blind eye is allowing about 10 programs to monopolize college football AND basketball. Cheating is proving to pay....pay 37 million to 51 million was the per team compensation via TV deals distributed to "P5" universities pending conference affiliation. While, I believe, CUSA programs received a lofty check of 600K. This is not sustainable. Something has to give. And the only way for it to happen, with convenience, is for the NCAA to adhere to their own rules and pass down punishments that are severe enough to push programs away from their recruiting tactics. The NCAA has to make the risk much greater than the reward. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Folks just didnt like the questions you were asking. Maybe next time ask them what their favorite color is or Ice Cream Flavor

I wouldn't assume that (though you could be right).  There are posters around here that just down vote for the hell of it; like they're just trying to see what kind of rise it gets out of people.

Stop thinking that there's some sort of science/logic behind these rogue negative votes.

• Upvote 2

Follow the money trail.  In 2017 the NCAA clear $1 Billion in revenue.  And Emmert base salary is over $2 million.

Maybe the NCAA gets a cut of the money generated by college football, TV rights, etc.  Maybe the NCAA gets compensated somehow from the P5 cartel.  The type of compensation that no one knows about.  Just sayin. 

• Upvote 1

Some of the comments in this thread might lead one to believe this young man and his family are looking for the highest bidder.  Based on @Big Z's post, his father sounds like a man of class and character.  If he ends up going somewhere else, I'm going to assume they made their choice based on the right criteria.  If he comes to UNT, I'll know they did.  And I'll be jumping up and down like a schnockered kangaroo.

• Upvote 4

Add this young man's assessment to the growing list of reasons #NewDenton is real.  Getting players the caliber of those we signed for '19 and these who came to town this weekend is proof that Wren, Seth, and their staffs have reshaped the reputation of the North Texas football program in high school locker rooms.  Add to that the work Smatresk has done to improve the perception of the University as a whole, and we have much to be proud of these days.

Mr. Lewis sounds like he would be an incredible addition to the Mean Green Family

• Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Agree I find it insulting that some people  assume my good friend would take money or bribes. Here is what you don’t know about Mr. Brian Lewis 

-Coached youth football and basketball all his life, volunteered countless hours. 

-Help brought in kids who didn’t have any male guidance in their life or resources. 

-He is a hard worker and has an awesome job with a good company

-Few years ago he won DFW’s YMCA Volunteer of the Year award, a very prestigious award.

-Father of two boys, two girls and his married to a wonderful woman. Has a beautiful newly house built in Melissa and has a awesome job. 

Anything else? 

Well the hell are you doing on here?

You have work to do! (Within rules)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

Agree I find it insulting that some people  assume my good friend would take money or bribes. Here is what you don’t know about Mr. Brian Lewis 

Maybe some passerby might scroll a little too quickly down this page and lump all this discussion into an assumption about your friend.  But if you read through it, no one here accused him of anything.  The thread just got derailed.

• Upvote 1