DRC: UNT offensive line outlook for 2019

Brett Vito

This won't be popular to say, but it needs to be said....

Our offensive line was not "solid" as this article suggests. In our 4 loses, the offense only managed to produce a combined 15 points in the second half of those games. And, we all know we have some of the best skill position players in Texas, and certainly in C-USA. Sure some of it was play calling, but a lot of it was also the o-line too. Fine was running for his life way too often.

The lines remain a question mark for me. Until I actually see an improvement in the trenches, and see a greater focus on recruiting both offensive and defensive linemen,  I will continue to have my doubts about how productive our offense will be. Plantin could be a great addition, and I hope he is. But, don't think he is not enough. We need more higher end talent in the trenches. Games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3

For me, the OL will hinge on Plantin being the real deal at LT.   If he is, we're going to be MUCH better than last year.
I think Brammer, with a little experience last year & another offseason to get bigger/stronger, will be able to step right in at RT and be as effective as Mayfield... possibly moreso. 
The Mose brothers now have a ton of experience, and will only get better. 
I really hope Littrell leaves Woodworth at LG this offseason and allows him to prepare to play that position & excel.  I think part of his struggles last year was practicing during the Spring & Fall at LT, which requires a different set of skills in blocking, then moving back to LG just before the season started.  He is good & has a shot at the League.

• Upvote 5

The offensive line was not has bad last year as many portray, or the offense would not have the numbers that had.  Fine was injured the last part of the season and a lot easier target for the defense.  Defenses also were also well aware of NT basic plays at that point. 

The center of the offensive line should be better as all return.  The offensive tackles are the question, and NT actually has some good candidates for those positions.   The juco Plantin. returnees Anthony, Parrish and Brammer; as well as some promising young linemen should enable the ol to be an improved unit.   

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The offensive line was not has bad last year as many portray, or the offense would not have the numbers that had.  Fine was injured the last part of the season and a lot easier target for the defense.  Defenses also were also well aware of NT basic plays at that point. 

The center of the offensive line should be better as all return.  The offensive tackles are the question, and NT actually has some good candidates for those positions.   The juco Plantin. returnees Anthony, Parrish and Brammer; as well as some promising young linemen should enable the ol to be an improved unit.   

Fine was, at least in part, injured multiple times bc of the beating he took due to a lack of blocking! 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

70% play calling/30% OL play. 

We do not have a world class OL. Sometimes they whiff and whiff badly, especially on the edges. It creates havoc when this happens. 

With that said, our OC did not adjust to what defenses were doing in regards to pressuring our QB. Same counts on step backs, same methodical route trees, same calls when the defense is tweaking at the line to get to Fine. Really poor OL play does not produce almost back to back 4k passers and 64% completion %. They are not great, that is no mystery. The lack of in the moment play calling to sway defenders from pinning their ears caused a lot of our OL "issues". 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1