Louisiana Tech (2/23/19)

CMJ

2 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I like to think I am pretty even keeled and roll with losses better than most.  But I am really disappointed and am wondering if we might lose out our last eight games.

It’s frustrating to be killing the early season momentum AGAIN this year like last year - right before the CUSA tourney. We need a big fan turnout there and this isn’t the way to accomplish that.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I like to think I am pretty even keeled and roll with losses better than most.  But I am really disappointed and am wondering if we might lose out our last eight games.

Whether we win our next three or lose our next three, Mccasland cannot sit by and feel like our win total alone is enough to warrant running it back with this roster next year. This team needs offense and quality size and we only have two scholarships left to do that.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

39 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

did coach mac have an end of season collapse at ark state, because he had one here last year and seems to be having on this season. I like him as a coach but its starting to become a pattern

Started 18-6....finished 20-12.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Arkansas_State_Red_Wolves_men's_basketball_team

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

49 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

One thing I don’t get in a time when we’re hurting for depth is ......why Tope is on the bench for all but three minutes?  He was 0-1 from the floor and I get that.......but in those three minutes records 2 rebounds and a block?  

We cant use more rebounds and blocks?

Rick

I have a better question why has not Alcindor been getting those minutes all year.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1

Certainly a concerning trend of late season slumps. I have no idea what happened at Arkansas State. Last year we seemed to run out of gas after a string of close games. Got a couple of players healthy for the CBI and won it. This year losing Duffy and then Woolridge Wasn’t helpful. Most teams in the country would notice a difference losing those contributions. 

At this point we just need to get healthy and win the CUSA tourney like we did the CBI last year. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Whether we win our next three or lose our next three, Mccasland cannot sit by and feel like our win total alone is enough to warrant running it back with this roster next year. This team needs offense and quality size and we only have two scholarships left to do that.

Losing Duffy and Miller will destroy any guard depth that NT has.  So going big in recruiting is not necessarily a good plan.  NT also returns the two bigs that McCasland actually used the Simmons. 

So McCasland is not going to have a lot of options unless he runs some players off which is very popular with most programs these days. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Losing Duffy and Miller will destroy any guard depth that NT has. 

Miller hasn’t missed a game. Guessing you mean Woolridge. We only played one game without Woolridge and Duffy. We haven’t been good offensively all year, even when both were healthy. Record was good, but we were not exactly lighting it up.

So going big in recruiting is not necessarily a good plan.  NT also returns the two bigs that McCasland actually used the Simmons. 

Quality size. We have one guy who fits that category (Zach Simmons). A 6’4” player who is struggling to crack 30% from the field and the free throw line in conference play is not how I would describe a quality big. Neither are guys who Coach Mccasland struggles to trust to even play more than a few minutes (Alcindor and Arikawe). 

We don’t need to “go big.” I’m the last person who has ever advocated that. We just need enough quality size, which to me is three quality big men. Right now we have one with two open scholarships left, and some pressing wing scoring needs to boot.

So McCasland is not going to have a lot of options unless he runs some players off which is very popular with most programs these days. 

Yes, he had put himself in a pickle by not making great use of scholarships. That’s on him. His responsibility to figure it out. If he makes the decision to try and get more out of the guys who are on campus but haven’t shown the ability, then he better make sure it works. Same if he decides to move on from those players.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Miller hasn’t missed a game. Guessing you mean Woolridge. We only played one game without Woolridge and Duffy. We haven’t been good offensively all year, even when both were healthy. Record was good, but we were not exactly lighting it up.

Quality size. We have one guy who fits that category (Zach Simmons). A 6’4” player who is struggling to crack 30% from the field and the free throw line in conference play is not how I would describe a quality big. Neither are guys who Coach Mccasland struggles to trust to even play more than a few minutes (Alcindor and Arikawe). 

We don’t need to “go big.” I’m the last person who has ever advocated that. We just need enough quality size, which to me is three quality big men. Right now we have one with two open scholarships left, and some pressing wing scoring needs to boot.

Yes, he had put himself in a pickle by not making great use of scholarships. That’s on him. His responsibility to figure it out. If he makes the decision to try and get more out of the guys who are on campus but haven’t shown the ability, then he better make sure it works. Same if he decides to move on from those players.

Thanks, BS58!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

1.  Miller hasn’t missed a game. Guessing you mean Woolridge. We only played one game without Woolridge and Duffy. We haven’t been good offensively all year, even when both were healthy. Record was good, but we were not exactly lighting it up.

2.  Quality size. We have one guy who fits that category (Zach Simmons). A 6’4” player who is struggling to crack 30% from the field and the free throw line in conference play is not how I would describe a quality big. Neither are guys who Coach Mccasland struggles to trust to even play more than a few minutes (Alcindor and Arikawe). 

3.  We don’t need to “go big.” I’m the last person who has ever advocated that. We just need enough quality size, which to me is three quality big men. Right now we have one with two open scholarships left, and some pressing wing scoring needs to boot.

4.  Yes, he had put himself in a pickle by not making great use of scholarships. That’s on him. His responsibility to figure it out. If he makes the decision to try and get more out of the guys who are on campus but haven’t shown the ability, then he better make sure it works. Same if he decides to move on from those players.

1.  You were talking about next year, so I did mean Miller and Duffy who are seniors.  McCasland is a defense first coach, I don't think he is ever going to have a team that consistently lights it up.  

2.  You assume that the reason that McCasland goes with a small lineup is because he doesn't have quality bigs.  I think that is to be determined,  I think it is just as likely that he prefers a 4 guard lineup.  

3.  It is obvious that everyone wants that quality big man, there are just not a lot of them out there.  Plus why would he want to play for McCasland with his demonstrated passion for small ball and the  outside game.

4. So McCasland goes into next year with a solid guard rotation of Woolridge, Draper, Gibson and Smart.  Add in Johnson and Wise, who both look  like very promising  recruits.   J. Simmons is basically playing forward in a guards' body and Z. Simmons who could develop into a special player.  He then has 3 almost unknown tall players including one who is listed as a guard and another who's known as a distance shooter.      

What this team needs most is a rim protector and rebounder.  None of the redshirt freshmen or Alcindor seem to be that type of player. 

I predict McCasland will sign a guard and a post player, and maybe one other big if he clears a spot which is likely.   McCasland is a defense first coach, so look for defensive forwards without great offensive skills which he maybe able to sign. 

I don't think your ultimatum at the end is really true.  Unless he has a disastrous next year, I don't see NT making any coaching moves. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

1.  You were talking about next year, so I did mean Miller and Duffy who are seniors.  McCasland is a defense first coach, I don't think he is ever going to have a team that consistently lights it up.  

I don’t buy that one bit. If he gets the squad that he really wants, I do expect it to be a relatively high scoring team. Not a team that’s leading the nation or even conference in points, but a team that is efficient offensively and is cracking 80 fairly routinely. That’s what we were between the beginning of our CBI run and through the first 16 games of the year. That’s what he wants to be. Not a team that sacrifices offense for defense.

2.  You assume that the reason that McCasland goes with a small lineup is because he doesn't have quality bigs.  I think that is to be determined,  I think it is just as likely that he prefers a 4 guard lineup.  

I don’t assume that. Mccasland only had one player above 6’4” in his rotation at Arkansas State as well. I get that’s what he does and I’ve spent a lot of time explaining that to people on here this year.

But even in a “four-guard lineup” you would still prefer quality size. The point of a four-guard lineup is not to have a smaller lineup than the other team. The point is to put as much skill as you can on the floor. If Mccasland could get a 6’7” player who shoots as well as Gibson (bad example after yesterday) he would.

So when I say quality size, I don’t mean get a bunch of 6’10” guys. I mean get at least one player who has the size, length, and strength to rebound and defend the four spot, but can also adequately stretch the floor from the four spot, and get at least one person who the coaches can trust at the five behind Simmons. And also someone who could play both, ideally. I.e. someone 6’7”ish who can rebound well and shoot well enough to play the four next to a five like Zach Simmons. Someone like Colin Voss I think would be nice to have off the bench in this scheme.

3.  It is obvious that everyone wants that quality big man, there are just not a lot of them out there.  Plus why would he want to play for McCasland with his demonstrated passion for small ball and the  outside game.

We still play big men. It’s not a five-guard lineup. That’s no excuse. A good recruiting coach could get a decent five here, even in a primarily four-guard lineup. Zach Simmons is a very involved player in our offense as a passer, rim roller, and even in back-to-the-basket plays. A good big would play here plenty and be very involved as well. And a good recruiting coach could spell that out fairly easily.

4. So McCasland goes into next year with a solid guard rotation of Woolridge, Draper, Gibson and Smart.  Add in Johnson and Wise, who both look  like very promising  recruits. 

I don’t feel comfortable with that group, and wouldn’t consider that a solid guard rotation heading into the season. If you’re starting Gibson and Smart then you have no established bench scorer. I really would prefer Draper towards the end of the bench. A capable player but the more he has been forced to play, the less successful we have been. Not terrible, just don’t want to have to bank on him.

And as for Jalen Jackson and Larry Wise, they are promising but their shooting abilities are concerning. Wise does not have a smooth looking stroke and Jackson is shooting 21% from three and 66% from the line this season, according to MaxPreps. As of now I don’t feel comfortable in those guys and Draper being our top bench scoring options. That’s planning very dangerously imo. I think all of those players are worthy of scholarships, I just don’t think it’s playing the percentages smartly to have those be your top bench players.

J. Simmons is basically playing forward in a guards' body and Z. Simmons who could develop into a special player.

Jahmiah Simmons has been an absolute liability offensively this year, particularly in conference play. Mccasland seems to like him but I really think we need more options at the four next year than just him and Mohamed, which is what it looks like for now. He seems to be recruiting this position with offers like Trey Wade out there.

He then has 3 almost unknown tall players including one who is listed as a guard and another who's known as a distance shooter.      

What this team needs most is a rim protector and rebounder.  None of the redshirt freshmen or Alcindor seem to be that type of player. 

Agreed. We desperately need a rim protector. Zach Simmons isn’t even really a great rim protector. But we need someone off the bench who can be at least a decent rim protector when Zach Simmons is out.

I predict McCasland will sign a guard and a post player, and maybe one other big if he clears a spot which is likely.   McCasland is a defense first coach, so look for defensive forwards without great offensive skills which he maybe able to sign. 

This roster is in no shape to be filling our last spots with players who lack offensive skill. Losing Miller and Duffy and replacing them with poor shooters who are limited offensively is a recipe for a lot more games like the last four we have played.

I don't think your ultimatum at the end is really true.  Unless he has a disastrous next year, I don't see NT making any coaching moves. 

Not sure how you interpreted me saying “that’s on him. It’s his responsibility to figure it out” as an ultimatum or a suggestion at a coaching change.

I’m just saying he needs to be held responsible for the roster and if it isn’t good enough next year, that’s on him. And based on what he is getting paid, we can’t just give him a pass simply because he is doing better than the previous regime.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I don’t buy that one bit. If he gets the squad that he really wants, I do expect it to be a relatively high scoring team. Not a team that’s leading the nation or even conference in points, but a team that is efficient offensively and is cracking 80 fairly routinely. That’s what we were between the beginning of our CBI run and through the first 16 games of the year. That’s what he wants to be. Not a team that sacrifices offense for defense.

I don’t assume that. Mccasland only had one player above 6’4” in his rotation at Arkansas State as well. I get that’s what he does and I’ve spent a lot of time explaining that to people on here this year.

But even in a “four-guard lineup” you would still prefer quality size. The point of a four-guard lineup is not to have a smaller lineup than the other team. The point is to put as much skill as you can on the floor. If Mccasland could get a 6’7” player who shoots as well as Gibson (bad example after yesterday) he would.

So when I say quality size, I don’t mean get a bunch of 6’10” guys. I mean get at least one player who has the size, length, and strength to rebound and defend the four spot, but can also adequately stretch the floor from the four spot, and get at least one person who the coaches can trust at the five behind Simmons. And also someone who could play both, ideally. I.e. someone 6’7”ish who can rebound well and shoot well enough to play the four next to a five like Zach Simmons. Someone like Colin Voss I think would be nice to have off the bench in this scheme.

We still play big men. It’s not a five-guard lineup. That’s no excuse. A good recruiting coach could get a decent five here, even in a primarily four-guard lineup. Zach Simmons is a very involved player in our offense as a passer, rim roller, and even in back-to-the-basket plays. A good big would play here plenty and be very involved as well. And a good recruiting coach could spell that out fairly easily.

I don’t feel comfortable with that group, and wouldn’t consider that a solid guard rotation heading into the season. If you’re starting Gibson and Smart then you have no established bench scorer. I really would prefer Draper towards the end of the bench. A capable player but the more he has been forced to play, the less successful we have been. Not terrible, just don’t want to have to bank on him.

And as for Jalen Jackson and Larry Wise, they are promising but their shooting abilities are concerning. Wise does not have a smooth looking stroke and Jackson is shooting 21% from three and 66% from the line this season, according to MaxPreps. As of now I don’t feel comfortable in those guys and Draper being our top bench scoring options. That’s planning very dangerously imo. I think all of those players are worthy of scholarships, I just don’t think it’s playing the percentages smartly to have those be your top bench players.

Jahmiah Simmons has been an absolute liability offensively this year, particularly in conference play. Mccasland seems to like him but I really think we need more options at the four next year than just him and Mohamed, which is what it looks like for now. He seems to be recruiting this position with offers like Trey Wade out there.

Agreed. We desperately need a rim protector. Zach Simmons isn’t even really a great rim protector. But we need someone off the bench who can be at least a decent rim protector when Zach Simmons is out.

This roster is in no shape to be filling our last spots with players who lack offensive skill. Losing Miller and Duffy and replacing them with poor shooters who are limited offensively is a recipe for a lot more games like the last four we have played.

Not sure how you interpreted me saying “that’s on him. It’s his responsibility to figure it out” as an ultimatum or a suggestion at a coaching change.

I’m just saying he needs to be held responsible for the roster and if it isn’t good enough next year, that’s on him. And based on what he is getting paid, we can’t just give him a pass simply because he is doing better than the previous regime.

We probably agree more than not.  It is going to be an interesting end of year and off season.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/23/2019 at 9:22 PM, CMJ said:

At this point I don't know if we can beat Charlotte.

After the FAU game, which we had to mostly play without Woolridge, I mentioned that there is not a team in CUSA that we can beat without him.  Sadly, I still believe that to be true even after getting Duffy back and cobbling together a bit of depth via J. Simmons and Alcindor.  If Woolridge comes back close to 100% and everyone else also is back, then I would still give us a fighting chance against anyone in the conference.  I know it's beginning to sound like a cliche, but there is simply so much parity in CUSA this season to the point where I think most of our conference mates would struggle if they lost a star player for an extended time.  

And sure, as others have pointed out, our lack of depth has been exposed.  But, I would argue that it's really our depth at particular spots where it is truly problematic.  For instance, we simply do not have any serviceable replacement for either Z. Simmons or Woolridge.  I think we would lose any CUSA game (home or away) that we were to play without either.  When we have had to play without players like Smart and Duffy, on the other hand, that has been a problem, but it hasn't completely derailed the offense.   

• Upvote 2