Florida International (2/16/19)

CMJ

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

The key is getting Woolridge and Duffy back before the conference tourney.  That is more important than the bonus games.  

I mean, I do think Duffy needs to get back ASAP.  He's gonna be very rusty.  I'm not concerned with Woolridge's rust (unless he's out UNTIL the tourney), though I'm more worried about him....he's by far our MVP and makes us whole.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

The key is getting Woolridge and Duffy back before the conference tourney.  That is more important than the bonus games.  

Pod play are not bonus games.

Only Pod 1 can compete for the first round bye and have a realistic shot at a conference tournament.

We have no shot at winning conference but we need the first round off.

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Just pointing out the hyperbole of your “dumpster fire” claim. Benford ball was a true dumpster fire. If you can’t make the distinction between that and what we have now, I don’t know what to tell you. 

These past three games for us have been frustrating dissapointments. Trust me, I’m pissed that we’ve potentially played our way out of the first pod. That said we lost road games without our best player on the floor and a ridiculously short bench. All is not lost but it likely got a ton tougher moving forward.

Then you didn't read my comment carefully enough because I said "turning out to be". Doesn't mean it started that way but it sure as hell is becoming that. And if below 30% shooting percentage game after game, double digit turnovers game after game, and losing to middle of the pack and lower level opponents in our conference don't say dumpster fire then I don't know what to tell you. These games have been beyond frustrating to watch

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

What I am upset with the most right now is not that we lost with a ridiculously short bench. It’s that we get 13 scholarships to use and 3 of those 13 being out relegates us to having 6 playable players.

Yes, I know Tikhonenko is also out so technically it’s 4 players out, but he has played in 13 minutes against D1 opponents in two years. Guys who struggle to get off the bench probably wouldn’t help much even when we’re this depleted.

Mccasland and his staff do not get a pass because of being short-handed. They are short-handed because they have not made effective use of all of their scholarships.

Agreed

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

What I am upset with the most right now is not that we lost with a ridiculously short bench. It’s that we get 13 scholarships to use and 3 of those 13 being out relegates us to having 6 playable players.

Yes, I know Tikhonenko is also out so technically it’s 4 players out, but he has played in 13 minutes against D1 opponents in two years. Guys who struggle to get off the bench probably wouldn’t help much even when we’re this depleted.

Mccasland and his staff do not get a pass because of being short-handed. They are short-handed because they have not made effective use of all of their scholarships.

Sooooooooo

Fire them?

Give them more time?

Say yes you are correct and are a basketball genius?

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

9 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

This is legit criticism. I read your other post on scholarships and agree. The quality and amount of depth issues we’re currently facing are on Grant.

That said, it’s not surprising to lose road games in conference with our best player hurt. We’re simply not a good team without Woolridge.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Dropping facts like these around here will get people big mad. Carry on.

You're deadly accurate, btw. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 2
  • Eye Roll 2

39 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Bingo!!! We finally have a winner! This team had most of its major contributors returning from last year with 5-6 more scholarships to add to the mix. This was clearly the worst signing class in the history of the program. (based on the # available). 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Sooooooooo

Fire them?

Give them more time?

Say yes you are correct and are a basketball genius?

We are almost two full seasons into the Mccasland era and we paid a lot of money to get him. We can take a step back and give him fair and honest evaluations instead of acting like he can do no wrong just because he’s better than the train wreck of a coach that came before him. It’s a fan forum, not the official team site.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

7 minutes ago, drex said:

Yeah, let's denegrate a 20 win season and turn on the team....makes me proud to be s season ticket holder--are you?  I doubt it.

I don’t see any posts on here denigrating a 20-win season. Also not sure who your question is directed at since you didn’t quote or tag anyone, but I am a season ticket holder. Which does not preclude someone from being able to honestly evaluate this team or coaching staff.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Bingo!!! We finally have a winner! This team had most of its major contributors returning from last year with 5-6 more scholarships to add to the mix. This was clearly the worst signing class in the history of the program. (based on the # available). 

I think it’s much too early to say that, but these questionable signings are turning into subpar players. I was not a fan of signing Shakeem Alcindor, who had no other offers out of a prep school, and now he’s a player who the coaches show they see him as unplayable. Jahmiah Simmons is a 6’4” player who was 0-7 from three in conference play and barely hit over 30% of his free throws in conference play. A 6’4” player who is a bad shooter looked questionable at the beginning but it really looks bad now.

You can go on down the list. The coaches have to recruit better if we want to compete for CUSA titles and not falter down the stretch anymore.

If everyone on here just wants us to be better than we were under Benford then there’s no reason to be upset about the way anything is going right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I think it’s much too early to say that, but these questionable signings are turning into subpar players. I was not a fan of signing Shakeem Alcindor, who had no other offers out of a prep school, and now he’s a player who the coaches show they see him as unplayable. Jahmiah Simmons is a 6’4” player who was 0-7 from three in conference play and barely hit over 30% of his free throws in conference play. A 6’4” player who is a bad shooter looked questionable at the beginning but it really looks bad now.

You can go on down the list. The coaches have to recruit better if we want to compete for CUSA titles and not falter down the stretch anymore.

If everyone on here just wants us to be better than we were under Benford then there’s no reason to be upset about the way anything is going right now.

Exactly what I said yet clowns on here continue to downvote me. Too many of you on here look at everything with rose tinted glasses then fail to heed when someone opposes your view. Everything has already been said so I don't need to repeat why criticism of this team and coaches are valid. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 10

13 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Exactly what I said yet clowns on here continue to downvote me. Too many of you on here look at everything with rose tinted glasses then fail to heed when someone opposes your view. Everything has already been said so I don't need to repeat why criticism of this team and coaches are valid. 

I wouldn’t worry too much about downvotes. I have someone who downvotes (or gives the eye-roll emoji) on almost all of my posts, positive, negative, or indifferent.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

16 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Try not to take downvotes seriously.  I've been downvoted for giving out the correct score (both when we're ahead and when we're trailing - LOL).  🙂  And the more you complain about them, the more likely you are to get them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Don't worry about downvotes. People are going to drop those regardless. Just keep thinking level headed, pro and con comments, and it will do far more good than harm. People on this board still supported McCarney and Benford tooth and nail until thr end. Take that for what it's worth. 

• Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2