Mccasland Has To Make Better Use Of His Scholarships

BillySee58

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Two straight years we look bad offensively all season, never really get it together, and falter down the stretch once we start getting exposed and have almost no bench production. The season isn’t over, but Mccasland can’t hide the truth of this season behind our win total.

I get that Duffy is hurt (which we already knew he was injury prone), but in two years the only bench player who has brought consistent scoring is Gibson who has now been forced to start, leaving us with almost zero bench scoring. Why is that? Because we’re not deep. Why are we not deep? Because we have used a lot of scholarships on guys who give us nothing.

Wise and Mohamed are redshirting. Tikhonenko has played zero conference games in 2 seasons under scholarship. Alcindor came in with no scholarship offers and picked up more fouls than points this year, and Mccasland doesn’t even trust him with essentially no bench. Mccasland is showing that he sees Alcindor as unplayable.

So right there you’re down to just 9 scholarship players. Of those 9, one of them is spent on a former walk on who is a 5’10” shooter but is shooting barely over 20% from three in conference. Another is spent on a player in Duffy missing time for his fourth different injury in two seasons. Another is spent on a 6’4” forward (Jahmiah Simmons) whose shooting splits in conference play were 34.6%/0%/31.3% before he was injured. 0-7 from three and 5-16 from the free throw line on conference play.

That leaves six players. One of those is Tope Arikawe who has a -7 offensive box plus/minus, which is the second lowest only to walk on John Weger. Then lastly, we have Roosevelt Smart who seemingly hasn’t recovered from his preseason injury, and is almost single-handedly sinking us in these losses.

Smart is a combined 4-32 (12.5%!!!) in our last three losses. Our single-season school record holder for points in a season has a shooting percentage that looks like a pitcher’s batting average in these huge conference games. The truth is, he has been a bad basketball player this season and we don’t have any other options because of our lack of depth.

The good news is that if this is the worst that it gets, that’s not so bad. The problem is this is the second straight year, and we only have two scholarships left and we have quite a bit to replace in Miller and Duffy, plus we need to add some quality size. I really don’t think Mccasland can just stick with the status quo this offseason. He has to make some tough decisions, really make good use of the scholarships instead of spending it on guys who don’t play, and get the guys we have right (mainly Smart).

I don’t know how much can be done before the season is over but the offense can’t look this bad and our bench can’t still be this shallow next year.

Yes, there have been some great teams that have gotten by without much size, but when you have a team that regularly has four or five guards on the floor, when those guards are six "twoish" or less, things can get pretty difficult on both ends of the floor. Hopefully we can get healthy quickly and come up with some answers.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Two straight years we look bad offensively all season, never really get it together, and falter down the stretch once we start getting exposed and have almost no bench production. The season isn’t over, but Mccasland can’t hide the truth of this season behind our win total.

I get that Duffy is hurt (which we already knew he was injury prone), but in two years the only bench player who has brought consistent scoring is Gibson who has now been forced to start, leaving us with almost zero bench scoring. Why is that? Because we’re not deep. Why are we not deep? Because we have used a lot of scholarships on guys who give us nothing.

Wise and Mohamed are redshirting. Tikhonenko has played zero conference games in 2 seasons under scholarship. Alcindor came in with no scholarship offers and picked up more fouls than points this year, and Mccasland doesn’t even trust him with essentially no bench. Mccasland is showing that he sees Alcindor as unplayable.

So right there you’re down to just 9 scholarship players. Of those 9, one of them is spent on a former walk on who is a 5’10” shooter but is shooting barely over 20% from three in conference. Another is spent on a player in Duffy missing time for his fourth different injury in two seasons. Another is spent on a 6’4” forward (Jahmiah Simmons) whose shooting splits in conference play were 34.6%/0%/31.3% before he was injured. 0-7 from three and 5-16 from the free throw line on conference play.

That leaves six players. One of those is Tope Arikawe who has a -7 offensive box plus/minus, which is the second lowest only to walk on John Weger. Then lastly, we have Roosevelt Smart who seemingly hasn’t recovered from his preseason injury, and is almost single-handedly sinking us in these losses.

Smart is a combined 4-32 (12.5%!!!) in our last three losses. Our single-season school record holder for points in a season has a shooting percentage that looks like a pitcher’s batting average in these huge conference games. The truth is, he has been a bad basketball player this season and we don’t have any other options because of our lack of depth.

The good news is that if this is the worst that it gets, that’s not so bad. The problem is this is the second straight year, and we only have two scholarships left and we have quite a bit to replace in Miller and Duffy, plus we need to add some quality size. I really don’t think Mccasland can just stick with the status quo this offseason. He has to make some tough decisions, really make good use of the scholarships instead of spending it on guys who don’t play, and get the guys we have right (mainly Smart).

I don’t know how much can be done before the season is over but the offense can’t look this bad and our bench can’t still be this shallow next year.

100% correct.

• Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

This is a little bit of an everything going wrong all at once type of scenario, so I can't get too down on them, however you aren't wrong.  🤮

It is extremely difficult offensive basketball to watch and has been all season, you really have to like defense to enjoy watching them play.

Yeah, the defense the last two years is what makes it so frustrating. If we could just be above average offensively we’d probably be in first place.

Two years in, I just don’t like how many guys we have redshirted and how many guys are supposed to be quality depth yet have been well below average CUSA level players.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The one I am the most confused about is Larry Wise.  The guy had an impressive offer list, and McCasland really seemed excited about him not only as the crown jewel of the recruiting class but as a player we would all be thrilled with this season.  This is a point that McCasland repeatedly made across various conversations in the off-season. Then Wise quickly got announced as a likely redshirt--something that isn't all that common in college basketball these days (outside of walk-ons)--after some vague talk of an injury that maybe kept him out a couple weeks.  It does not appear now that his redshirting has anything directly to do with that injury.  It's frustrating, though, because this is a 6'5, 3-guard type of player with a lot of scoring potential--in other words, someone we desperately need right about now.  I just wonder what he would be capable of at this point in the season if he had been developing all year long.  

I'm not second-guessing McCasland.  He's established enough credibility for me to blindly trust him here and there.  I'm sure he has his reasons for not playing him, but I wonder what those reasons really are.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

This is a little bit of an everything going wrong all at once type of scenario, so I can't get too down on them, however you aren't wrong.  🤮

It is extremely difficult offensive basketball to watch and has been all season, you really have to like defense to enjoy watching them play.

Agree.  

One thing I wonder would help is to stop passing up the chance to hit short range shots?  

I guess it’s because of the time I grew up in and attended school, but I’ve never seen a team pass up so many chances to hit a 6-8 footer as this team does?  

I watched the #1 scoring team in the country last night in Gonzaga and noticed that if they get the chance from that range they won’t hesitate to take it.

I believe Coach Mc will get it figured out.  It’s just a tough pill to swallow right now when we follow up blowing it in front of 8200 with a game like last night in front of 800..  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Agree.  

One thing I wonder would help is to stop passing up the chance to hit short range shots?  

I guess it’s because of the time I grew up in and attended school, but I’ve never seen a team pass up so many chances to hit a 6-8 footer as this team does?  

I watched the #1 scoring team in the country last night in Gonzaga and noticed that if they get the chance from that range they won’t hesitate to take it.

I believe Coach Mc will get it figured out.  It’s just a tough pill to swallow right now when we follow up blowing it in front of 8200 with a game like last night in front of 800..  

Rick

Yeah, I really wish Smart would take advantage of the mid-range game. So many times he pump fakes a three and goes all the way to the basket only to lose it or flip up a bad shot. He’s supposed to be a good shooter. Pull up for that open 14-footer instead of crashing into the trees. Use the floater he has in his arsenal. Mid-range shots are not statistically the most efficient shot in basketball, but when you’re struggling to get 25 points in a half, you just need to find good looks, not perfect ones.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Yeah, I really wish Smart would take advantage of the mid-range game. So many times he pump fakes a three and goes all the way to the basket only to lose it or flip up a bad shot. He’s supposed to be a good shooter. Pull up for that open 14-footer instead of crashing into the trees. Use the floater he has in his arsenal. Mid-range shots are not statistically the most efficient shot in basketball, but when you’re struggling to get 25 points in a half, you just need to find good looks, not perfect ones.

I agree with Smart's mentality, but the ability to convert a drive into points/free-throws just isn't there.

Just decent defensive teams can force us into a 3pt shooting contest that this team can't keep up with.

This year's team is a horrendous 3pt% team. Which seems a bit odd given the 3pt production that returned from last season.

The more we get to the line, the more we win. The less 3pt shots we take, the more we win.

I feel like we are good enough defensive team to make that offensive formula work if we had a slasher. RIght now, Woolridge appears banged up, so is Miller our next best slasher?

On 2/15/2019 at 10:56 AM, Greendylan said:

The one I am the most confused about is Larry Wise.  The guy had an impressive offer list, and McCasland really seemed excited about him not only as the crown jewel of the recruiting class but as a player we would all be thrilled with this season.  This is a point that McCasland repeatedly made across various conversations in the off-season. Then Wise quickly got announced as a likely redshirt--something that isn't all that common in college basketball these days (outside of walk-ons)--after some vague talk of an injury that maybe kept him out a couple weeks.  It does not appear now that his redshirting has anything directly to do with that injury.  It's frustrating, though, because this is a 6'5, 3-guard type of player with a lot of scoring potential--in other words, someone we desperately need right about now.  I just wonder what he would be capable of at this point in the season if he had been developing all year long.  

I'm not second-guessing McCasland.  He's established enough credibility for me to blindly trust him here and there.  I'm sure he has his reasons for not playing him, but I wonder what those reasons really are.

I think (and this is definitely an outsider interpretation of the situation) that Wise came in/was early banged up so was a bit off the pace from the go and seemed, regardless of injury, to be 3-4 deep at the 2-3 spots, that redshirting him seemed back in October/November to be a luxury this team could afford. I think Grant dug in on that stance when depth became more questionable...which if you've asked an 18 year old to sit out a year, it's tough then to ask him to burn a year of eligibility on the last two months of a season. I still think Wise is a baller.

Mohamed and Alcindor seem more like swings and misses and that has really hurt this team. there was ample opportunity to develop both as depth pieces in non-conference...5-10 minutes a night...even if they didn't contribute during December/January, we could at least potentially go more than six-deep tonight. 

Dollar says Smart is gone end of the year. 

Grant has done a lot of good things, but made some serious mistakes this season. 

of course...again...many of you posters and fans have allowed your own egos and lack of perspective exacerbate your frustrations. this was never a team that was legitimately sniffing the top 25. this is a team a year removed from 6 straight .500 or worse seasons (removing CBI).

hell...we're two years removed from a 2-16 conference record. that's 11.1%. Smart shot better than that these last three games!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

On 2/14/2019 at 9:16 PM, BillySee58 said:

@BillySee58 spitting facts and I love it!!!!

• Thanks 1

Recruiting is a definite concern. Anyone that is contributing at any significant level is a Benford recruit. Has a GM recruit contributed at all?????

Everyone that scoffed at the idea of a JJ return, look at what him and another former UNT coach are doing down at TX. Southern.... 

Edited by shootermcgavin44
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

24 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

See Mose brothers and Hambone.

Mose brothers no Hambone yes.

Seth had 75 scholarships to give out and only found 1 dlinemen to get to the QB and nobody who can protect Fine? 

Have to give you a hard time because you are always pumping up Seth then come down talking basketball.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

Recruiting is a definite concern. Anyone that is contributing at any significant level is a Benford recruit. Has a GM recruit contributed at all?????

Everyone that scoffed at the idea of a JJ return, look at what him and another former UNT coach are doing down at TX. Southern.... 

Was Smart, Duffy, and Gibson from Benford?

I do know the recruit this year is a baller.

What is JJ doing this year? I don't keep track of the SWAC. As much as I love JJ his offense gave me headaches the same as this team.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

Was Smart, Duffy, and Gibson from Benford?

I do know the recruit this year is a baller.

What is JJ doing this year? I don't keep track of the SWAC. As much as I love JJ his offense gave me headaches the same as this team.

None of those guys are Benford guys.  I believe the last Benford guys are Woolridge & Draper.  Simmons committed under him, but was never coached by him.

Pretty sure McCasland could use a guy like Lawson right about now though.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

9 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

Mose brothers no Hambone yes.

Seth had 75 scholarships to give out and only found 1 dlinemen to get to the QB and nobody who can protect Fine? 

Have to give you a hard time because you are always pumping up Seth then come down talking basketball.

I work for the basketball team during benford area. I saw the frustrating up close and personal. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

None of those guys are Benford guys.  I believe the last Benford guys are Woolridge & Draper.  Simmons committed under him, but was never coached by him.

Pretty sure McCasland could use a guy like Lawson right about now though.

I would love to have Holston and Lawson back in place of Hawkeem and maybe Draper taking a scholarship. 

My my guess is we see more turnover again and only return any redshirts, Woolridge, Simmons, and Gibson. (Probably Draper). More changes ahead.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

Im of the opinion that doing that is much, much harder to do at all - let alone consistently - than what we are talking about with Mac.

Honest question: am I wrong?

Yes. Just be good at your job, good OL go all over to G5 schools because of whatever reason.  We need to pick it up in this area.  Also bball needs to improve as well.   That is all

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

I would love to have Holston and Lawson back in place of Hawkeem and maybe Draper taking a scholarship. 

Why do you keep calling him Hawkeem? It’d be one thing if you were calling him Hakeem, but I have no explanation where you keep pulling Hawkeem from.

Also, our lineup was terrible with Holston and Lawson starting. We took off when we stopped playing them. There’s a cool alternative to bringing back failed players and it’s called signing actual good players who other schools want. We should try it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Yes. Just be good at your job, good OL go all over to G5 schools because of whatever reason.  We need to pick it up in this area.  Also bball needs to improve as well.   That is all

Exactly. We don’t need first-round o-linemen or draftable basketball players. Just get all conference guys or close to all conference guys. Every all-CUSA player chose to play at a CUSA school. No reason that school can’t be ours. 

• Thanks 1