North Texas at Arkansas ‘18

ChiefTenBeers2015

24 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

This was a game I wish I’d traveled to.  

I always wondered what the Arkansas faithful thought about the game and “the punt” ?

I have a family full of relatives from "The Natural State" and not one of them has said a word to me about the game.  Love It.

• Upvote 4

It begs the question: what changed? How were we able to dominate an SEC team in the second half but not LaTech or UAB? How did Rice and UTEP have good halves against us? 

I think many of us believe that teams began to anticipate our play calling. Will a new OC be a difference maker in the back end of the season in 2019? 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 3

16 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

It begs the question: what changed? How were we able to dominate an SEC team in the second half but not LaTech or UAB? How did Rice and UTEP have good halves against us? 

I think many of us believe that teams began to anticipate our play calling. Will a new OC be a difference maker in the back end of the season in 2019? 

What changed?  LaTech and UAB are very well coached.  Arkansas is/was not.

Also, I felt like our solid second half against them was due largley to their entire team realizing what an awful mess their QB position was.  We saw that first hand back in 2014.  It's one thing to know you have to help out your QB.  Its entirely different when you have Josh Greer/Andrew McNulty completely tanking and seemingly playing for the other team.  It demoralizes the entire team.  Arkansas' QB unit was every bit as bad as ours was in 2014.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

57 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I am of the opinion that Arkansas was that terrible

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Rode the "free bus" to the stadium from the "free" parking lot...everyone talking to us about how this would be a "fun game"....rode the "free bus" back to the "free" parking lot....had ONE pig fan say "good game". Only one who said a word all the way back....

Edited by RBP79
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/13/2019 at 8:55 AM, Philip Ferguson said:

I like re-watching the SMU game, too.  There's one point, I think in the 3rd quarter, when they are about to break for a commercial.  The announcer says the "...the Mean Green are ROLLING!".  That always brings a smile to my face...

• Upvote 1

On 2/13/2019 at 12:06 PM, 97and03 said:

The same thing that happens to EVERY Air Raid offense.  Towards the end of each season the opposing DC’s have pinpointed the rout tendencies and applies pressure on the QB...limiting the amount of time he has to find the open man that isn’t there.  A few three and outs later that force your defense to stay on the field and suddenly your behind and your defense is exhausted.  Then.....as always is the case,... the Air Raid mindset goes into overdrive believing it can throw it’s way out of the mess and things get worse.  

Rinse and repeat.

Look at all the great Mike Leach offensive-minded teams over the years.  At tech...he’d run the score up on a Gary Patterson defense early in the season...then falter towards the end of every year when the big 12 DC’s had enough film to study.  

Even now at Wazzu,....every damn year he gets everyone all excited with record-setting offenses, mind blowing stats and QB’s and WR’s,...then gets to Chris Peterson’s Washington Huskies and loses and often times badly.

Peterson understands the importance of placing his first emphasis on defense and running the ball which is a must in order to control field position, the clock and the game. 

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2019 at 12:06 PM, 97and03 said:

As others have mentioned, coaching was a factor. To me, we also need to remember the 3 injuries that took place in the LaTech game: Easley, Hall, and Fine. Easley was picking up steam and ended up missing the rest of the year. Hall missed the rest of the LaTech game, missed the next 3 games, and returned against UAB (not the easiest opponent to come back against). Fine missed no time but was never the same as we often saw him hobbling around during and after the LaTech game. 

So in short, our best member of the secondary, most physical offensive weapon, and our star QB. That LaTech game affected the team for the rest of the year IMO.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You know, as much as I respect Brewer's ability as a receiver I think he made the right decision to move on to his chosen career path when it presented itself to him. If he stayed, he would have always been a "solid' receiver but he probably wouldn't have set any receiving records. With his performance in the Arkansas game, he has cemented his place in North Texas football history. The only thing he could do in the future that might be more spectacular would be a last second Bussy vs UTSA-like catch for a win in a bowl game against a B-12/B-10/SEC opponent. 

Good luck to Firefighter Brewer.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 11:09 PM, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

This is a video of Sunny Dykes bending over with his hands on his knees like he’s going t vomit on TV during the SMU game last season, after which  he rubs his forehead and closes his eyes as if he has a migraine...makes me giggle every time I see it...if you guys can’t see this I need to convert (?) it to gif format...really hilarious...the broadcasters are like this is not how Dykes would like his season to begin or some such crap...really funny.  

Edited by ChiefTenBeers2015
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

One of the best games as a UNT Alumni & Fan. Amazing atmosphere and I'm still amazed at some of the clips in the highlights how loud we were at that huge stadium, only filling up one section. We drove up early that morning and drove back afterwards - We will never forget that game! 

Also, one of the best sights (aside from the fake punt return) at that game was seeing how much of the Arkansas crowd cleared out after halftime - then another good chunk after the 3rd quarter. When Kemon got that pick and ran it in, then just pointed at the crowd in our section, you could feel that we had conquered that stadium. Everyone in red was completely defeated that day and it was marvelous.

Arkansas game aside, one of my other favorite games was the very last home game at Fouts against Kansas State in 2010 (Riley Dodge days). Dunbar rushed for like 270 yards or something and had a great game. Even though we lost, it's still one of my favorite games during my time there (07-11) - Fouts was packed for the entire game and didn't trickle out after the half. Good times.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

This year he has to be above 500. Let’s hope he makes it because Seth would be at the top of the list.

I’d imagine that this is SL’s last year here, no matter what, if we have a winning season. I mean KSU had him if they would’ve agreed to let him bring in his coaches and not keep ones on the books already for KSU.

Lets just enjoy this upcoming season and getting to see Mason finish up an outstanding career here.

• Upvote 1