Bill Connally has UNT FB ranked at #84

Harry

If you listen to his reasoning on PAPN, he explains that he's updated S&P+ to factor more in your conference quality into the equation. This of course has re-organized the G5s and they have been lowered. I get his reasoning, but frustrating nonetheless.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-rankings-podcast-papn

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I understand his S&P strategy, but it basically ranks all P5 opponents higher than G5 based on SOS. And there are not 65 P5 teams truly better than us going by a default arbitrary statistic. It just plays into the hands of more of the same BS. 

Add this to the pile of evidence that the P5 is nothing but a cartel and 50 percent of the teams within it are just riding the coattails of the top half.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

Add this to the pile of evidence that the P5 is nothing but a cartel and 50 percent of the teams within it are just riding the coattails of the top half.

And tbh half is probably a reach. There are maybe 15 teams with a shot at the natty, maybe. 

To add, I went through and counted natty champs and there have been 24 different national champions since 1945. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Those are some golden coattails to ride, though...When the B1G pays $51 million out to each school and the SEC pays out $43 million per school just from TV revenues, you see how the separation is irreversible. It will be glorious, though, when some of these schools in the P5 get the G5 treatment and when they get kicked off the P5 teat (see Baylor).

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Look at the number of Sun Belt teams ahead of any CUSA teams and for sure NT. Amazing! And of course Boise State and MWC teams are well rated also......NT might be a 9 game winner for two years but gets no respect because of 2nd half let downs and inability to capture conference titles much less win a bowl. I think to be honest we are where we should be...we ain't that good or that bad.

• Haha 1

We lost both OTs, a former all-conference WR, and almost every top contributed on D except at safety. Add to that our OC and three position coaches, plus a more difficult schedule, and you can’t help but think we would slip a bit this year. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/12/2019 at 4:14 PM, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I honestly don't get the hype all of these publications are heaping on Southern Miss. Is there something I'm missing here? Also, has to suck to be UTEP where they are explicitly pointed out in the headline as the worst team in the country. 

Southern Miss finished the season with the 3rd best defense overall, holding teams to 278 yards per game.  I haven’t checked but maybe they have a lot coming back?

Rick

12 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Look at the number of Sun Belt teams ahead of any CUSA teams and for sure NT. Amazing! And of course Boise State and MWC teams are well rated also......NT might be a 9 game winner for two years but gets no respect because of 2nd half let downs and inability to capture conference titles much less win a bowl. I think to be honest we are where we should be...we ain't that good or that bad.

Those teams have great defenses.  App St finished with the 6th best defense overall.  I agree two of the three should be ranked higher than us.  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick