DRC position outlook series -- QB: Fine is back to cap remarkable career

Brett Vito

"why 2019 production could be worse: If there is anything the New Mexico Bowl showed, it's how much UNT depends on Fine as a team. The Mean Green were locked in a 7-7 game with the Aggies when Fine pulled a hamstring. Utah State capitalized when Fine went down and pulled away for a 52-13 win. UNT just isn't the same without Fine who has was knocked out for the season late in his freshman year. The players backing up Fine have little to no experience. If Fine is lost for any length of time, UNT's chances to be as good as it was last year are gone."

All of this can be avoided if  he gets the backups out there asap to get some actual game time experience. And I don't mean just handing it off,  or running with the ball themselves. He should send the backups out there and pretend he's Lane Kiffin or Steve Spurrier  and tell the QB to "light em up", ...........to hell with being a good sport.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

"why 2019 production could be worse: If there is anything the New Mexico Bowl showed, it's how much UNT depends on Fine as a team. The Mean Green were locked in a 7-7 game with the Aggies when Fine pulled a hamstring. Utah State capitalized when Fine went down and pulled away for a 52-13 win. UNT just isn't the same without Fine who has was knocked out for the season late in his freshman year. The players backing up Fine have little to no experience. If Fine is lost for any length of time, UNT's chances to be as good as it was last year are gone."

All of this can be avoided if  he gets the backups out there asap to get some actual game time experience. And I don't mean just handing it off,  or running with the ball themselves. He should send the backups out there and pretend he's Lane Kiffin or Steve Spurrier  and tell the QB to "light em up", ...........to hell with being a good sport.

Does anyone else here seriously believe any of the backups are going to be able to do the things Fine can do?

Silver,
Are you really saying that if QS had more mop-up reps (when he would likely run the ball to protect the lead, he's not stupid) he would have been able to win the NM Bowl for us instead of throwing 3 INTs?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Does anyone else here seriously believe any of the backups are going to be able to do the things Fine can do?

Silver,
Are you really saying that if QS had more mop-up reps (when he would likely run the ball to protect the lead, he's not stupid) he would have been able to win the NM Bowl for us instead of throwing 3 INTs?

First of all, Fine does the things that he does because he gets the vast majority of reps in practice......and {as I said in my initial assessment in the fall of his freshman year} he oozes confidence from every pore.  That being said, no one knew how well he would eventually do here despite all his accomplishments in HS. Does Harrell's coaching figure into how Fine has developed, or is it all Fine?

And no, if the backups don't get the same number of reps in practice, or real time reps in games, they won't ever be able to do the "things Fine can do".

We'll never know if his lack of game reps (and basically handing off when he did get in the game} the last two years, adversely affected QS's play in the New Mexico bowl.

But, Texan,  if all you had been doing, sexually, for the last two years is hand holding and some light petting, how well do you think you would perform with Sofia Vergara if someone suddenly dropped you into her bedroom and you were told ...….ok Texan it's show time, rock her world.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

5. You're vastly overrating my love life over the past 2 years.    I will say though, that if some aged, loud woman barged into my bedroom asking me to rock her world, she would be beaten nearly to death & dragged out before I could even say anything because my wife enjoys my suffering.

Giggity.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I'm all for Fine getting the snaps - he has earned it. But its also on the coaches then to come up with a better way to have the backup ready. 

Correct.  And how do you know this?  Because you’ve seen it before.  You’ve seen other teams win with their back ups.  Hell, Rice was only down 3 points going into the 4th against us with their 4th or 5th string QB and UTSA nearly beat us with their back up.

Im hoping Reeder brings in a system that takes pressure off the QB so Mason doesn’t have to carry his team.  But if he does go down the next in line can get the job done.

Rick

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

First of all, Fine does the things that he does because he gets the vast majority of reps in practice......and {as I said in my initial assessment in the fall of his freshman year} he oozes confidence from every pore.  That being said, no one knew how well he would eventually do here despite all his accomplishments in HS. Does Harrell's coaching figure into how Fine has developed, or is it all Fine?

And no, if the backups don't get the same number of reps in practice, or real time reps in games, they won't ever be able to do the "things Fine can do".

We'll never know if his lack of game reps (and basically handing off when he did get in the game} the last two years, adversely affected QS's play in the New Mexico bowl.

But, Texan,  if all you had been doing, sexually, for the last two years is hand holding and some light petting, how well do you think you would perform with Sofia Vergara if someone suddenly dropped you into her bedroom and you were told ...….ok Texan it's show time, rock her world.

I think I speak for every man on this board when I say that, if Sofia Vergara were dropped into our bedroom, it would be the best 3 minutes of OUR life

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I think I speak for every man on this board when I say that, if Sofia Vergara were dropped into our bedroom, it would be the best 3 minutes of OUR life

you'd have 2 minutes of conversation after, huh? don't think I could...her voice wears me out

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

54-52 Touchdowns to interceptions 4 years before Fine and Seth.

64-25 Mason Fine tds to ints.

11-11 Every other QB under Seth at UNT.

Seth as an OC coached a first round pick, third round pick, a sixth round pick, and a guy now in the AAF. Seth thinks the world of Mason Fine so that really tells me something about the football skills of Mason Fine.

At 6 feet Baker Mayfield proved you can draft a short Qb early. Kyler at 5 8 hopefully will prove that height isn't a problem again. Forget all this back-up rep talk. If Mason can stand he needs to be getting stats. UNT getting a QB drafted means more than a conference championship, a bowl win, or any kick return ever will to recruits. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

If all I’d been doin is hand holdin and lite pettin...got to be the best post I’ve seen on this board in a long long long time...that and Archer’s comment about a certain hashtag...I need to check into that apparently...

15 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

This reminds me of when Angie Dickenson confessed to having a "quickie" with Jack Kennedy..."It was the most exciting 20 seconds of my life".     

Jack was obviously a busy man................😎